News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gallant

Pinehurst No 10 - New Tom Doak design
« on: January 04, 2023, 10:29:33 AM »
Seemingly a well-known secret to many, here is the announcement from Pinehurst that Tom Doak will design Number 10:

https://www.pinehurst.com/news/tom-doak-to-design-pinehurst-resorts-10th-course/

This is a fantastic project, and happy to see Angela lead on a project. I did see it was slated for opening in late Spring 2024.

You thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 10:38:37 AM by Tim Gallant »

Steve Lapper

Re: Pinehurst No 10 - New Tom Doak design
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 10:38:44 AM »
I believe the highly qualified LaBar Golf team will be leading the construction and will be breaking ground inside the next few months.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 10:43:14 AM »
I believe the highly qualified LaBar Golf team will be leading the construction and will be breaking ground inside the next few months.

We have already started clearing trees, and the intent is to have the golf course completed by September.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 10:43:43 AM »
This month apparently. They'd better get a wriggle on if it's going to be open by June 2024.

(Edited to add: see Tom's reply above!)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 10:49:44 AM »
Pleased to see that it is coming. Pinehurst truly needed another top course or 2 to complement what they already have. It remains to be seen if additional courses will take pressure off of #s 2 and or if it will just bring more golfers to Pinehurst.🤔
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 10:53:03 AM »

Sounds awesome!

This doesn't look like the former Pit land...does PH still own that?  I think I remember a C&C routing that was shared a while back that used some of that land.

I played the Pit maybe 15 years ago before it closed...I'm still not convinced whether that is a great piece of land with unique features, or if the features make it a really weird piece of land.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 11:01:26 AM »
This is wonderful news, and a boon to retail golfers. I have to imagine that among younger generations of golfers, one's first Pinehurst visit may come after already seeing some combination of Bandon, Cabot, Streamsong, or Sand Valley. That was the case for me, and though experiencing #2's greens was dazzling, the remaining course and lodging experience does not match what can be found elsewhere. A new Doak design certainly will recalibrate my own priorities for making a return trip! Congratulations too to Ms. Moser on being lead associate.   
Instagram: mj_c_golf

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 11:12:08 AM »

Sounds awesome!

This doesn't look like the former Pit land...does PH still own that?  I think I remember a C&C routing that was shared a while back that used some of that land.

I played the Pit maybe 15 years ago before it closed...I'm still not convinced whether that is a great piece of land with unique features, or if the features make it a really weird piece of land.

It is the Pit site.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 11:14:11 AM »
Quote from: Ira Fishman on December 19, 2022, 08:06:53 PM<blockquote>Quote from: Tom_Doak on December 19, 2022, 07:49:20 PM
It's funny that as a numbers guy, I've never thought about the evens vs the odds at Pinehurst.I agree with the recommendation of #3, but my real recommendation would be to wait for #10.

Is that a reveal or just numerology?
Ira

</blockquote>

I'll take any bet that PCC DOESN'T announce the opening/acquisition/construction plans of "#10"-and maybe more-that coincides with the '24 Open."

Any details on the exact location? I have a long stay up there next month.

Congratulations to Tom and his team. Best of luck.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2023, 11:43:46 AM »
Splendid news. Well done Tom D and Angela M.
atb

Ira Fishman

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2023, 11:54:32 AM »
Yes, great news. Tom or Angela, any chance you can share a preview of the routing?

Thanks,

Ira

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 12:00:51 PM »

Sounds awesome!

It is the Pit site.

In the short video that the Resort released, Tom described the land as being “undeveloped”. The short clip shows two of the smaller ponds that were on the property where 9 & 10 were to be built over 20 years ago. The clip also shows some of the corridors that were cleared out for 9 & 10 back then before the project was abandoned (Rees Jones & Jack Nicklaus courses). Looks like No. 10 may be located to the north (and possibly west) of the 2nd & 3rd holes of the old Pit course and to the south of the 10th & 11th holes of the Cardinal Course at CCNC.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 11:05:20 PM by Dean DiBerardino »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 12:11:35 PM »
Cool, thanks for the confirm.

Totally going to include the island green (#12?) and the super mario bros-style mounds, right?

I kid...I didn't hate the Pit despite some truly weird holes.

So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 12:26:54 PM »
Tom,
Have you always wanted to be associated with PCC? Even as a youngster?
Thanks.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 12:44:46 PM »
It is the Pit site.

Well, kind of.  Part of the property is where Rees Jones started a course 20 years ago, on land that his father had owned and sold to the Resort.  And then part of it was the first few holes of The Pit . . . those were the more gentle, traditional holes, not the ones in the old quarry works, or down by the lake.  They've got that land left over for Course #11, someday down the road.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 12:47:30 PM »
Yes, great news. Tom or Angela, any chance you can share a preview of the routing?

Thanks,

Ira

We have to leave that up to the clients now, to do whenever they are ready.  I suspect they've already set a date for the next two or three press releases.

I'm currently in trouble with one client for saying a little more in my Christmas letter than he wanted me to say.  Did they not read up on how hard to control I am? /s

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2023, 12:55:32 PM »
Tom,
Thanks.

No, because I really never thought I would have a chance.

I remember taking one of my associates to Pinehurst many years ago, for his first visit there.  After we played, we went in to visit with Mr. Padgett [Don Sr.], and he told us that they were starting to plan their next two courses, and they were going to go with the two biggest names in the business, Rees Jones and Jack Nicklaus.  My associate remarked afterward that it was kind of depressing they wouldn't consider us, but I explained that in their position, they kind of had to go with the established name designers.

The funny part about that is that my associate was Gil Hanse, so we have really come full circle.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2023, 01:10:15 PM »
The site is topographically distinct and drastically different from anywhere in Pinehurst,” Doak says. “It’s bigger, bolder and more dramatic. There’s about 75 feet of elevation change, and we’ll work our way up to it around the mid-point of the layout. You’ll have expansive views from this apex over the rest of the course. It will be an unforgettable experience for golfers.”
It's Pinehurst on a site that's distinct, bigger, bolder and more dramatic from others in the area. No pressure there. :)
[/color]
[/color]I look forward to some unforgettable experiences playing it.

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2023, 01:25:25 PM »
Congratulations to Tom and Angela on an exiting project. Pinehurst / Southern Pines has become even more of a golf-mecca than it was before, which is saying something.

As exciting as it is to see a new course, I wish they would put a little TLC into some of their older classic courses in particular #1. #1 sits on a really nice property and could be a lovely heathland style throwback, but perhaps that's not press release worthy.
H.P.S.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2023, 02:15:29 PM »
Congratulations, Tom and Angela! This is really great news. I never made it to The Pit but always heard it was a cool piece of land--I'm sure with your team's imagination and know-how it'll emerge as something special.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2023, 02:18:40 PM »
A huge congrats, especially to Angela, who has put it her time to get this chance! I’ve worked with her, and she’ll do a great job.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2023, 04:28:56 PM »
Tom,
Thanks.

No, because I really never thought I would have a chance.

I remember taking one of my associates to Pinehurst many years ago, for his first visit there.  After we played, we went in to visit with Mr. Padgett [Don Sr.], and he told us that they were starting to plan their next two courses, and they were going to go with the two biggest names in the business, Rees Jones and Jack Nicklaus.  My associate remarked afterward that it was kind of depressing they wouldn't consider us, but I explained that in their position, they kind of had to go with the established name designers.

The funny part about that is that my associate was Gil Hanse, so we have really come full circle.

Great story. Thanks Tom.
Did you and Gil chuckle over that after he did PH#4?
Congratulations and good luck to Angela Moser. I assume PH #14 is hers  ;) .

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2023, 04:38:00 PM »

As exciting as it is to see a new course, I wish they would put a little TLC into some of their older classic courses in particular #1. #1 sits on a really nice property and could be a lovely heathland style throwback, but perhaps that's not press release worthy.
PC, I hope we continue to agree to disagree on PCC #1. It's enjoyable as is.
If you wanna propose some tinkering to PCC #5, I'm all in.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2023, 05:00:25 PM »
Echo Joe H, super thrilled for Angela. She's earned it all in a "man's" industry.  Talent and hard work does pay off!   

John Kirk

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2023, 06:05:11 PM »
Another well wisher chiming in.

What an exciting project!  I was thrilled to see the good news this morning.  Congratulations to Tom, Angela and Renaissance Golf.

Happy New Year!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back