News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Pinehurst Odd Numbers
« on: December 19, 2022, 07:02:16 PM »
We are thinking about a Winter trip given the more favorable prices. We have played 2, 4, 6, and 8. We definitely will pony up for 2 again, but have no interest in 4, 6, or 8 for another play. So among the odd numbered courses, which would you recommend?

Thanks as always.

Ira

Peter Flory

Re: Pinehurst Odd Numbers
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 07:30:05 PM »
#3 is pretty nice.  After that, I'd have to say to go offsite to Mid Pines and Southern Pines. 

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 07:38:18 PM »
#3 is pretty nice.  After that, I'd have to say to go offsite to Mid Pines and Southern Pines.
Pine Needles, too, yeah. Dormie Club if you can swing it.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 07:43:36 PM »
I should have been more precise. We play MP, PN, and now SP at least once a year. The reasonably priced package in the Winter that includes #2 is for the PH resort courses only.

Thanks.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 07:49:20 PM »
It's funny that as a numbers guy, I've never thought about the evens vs the odds at Pinehurst.

I agree with the recommendation of #3, but my real recommendation would be to wait for #10.

Peter Flory

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 07:56:57 PM »
I just played 3 a month ago or so and here is how it was looking:  Overall, I think that it has a Mid Pines feel about it.  Not long, but not easy either. 

Ira Fishman

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2022, 08:06:53 PM »
It's funny that as a numbers guy, I've never thought about the evens vs the odds at Pinehurst.

I agree with the recommendation of #3, but my real recommendation would be to wait for #10.

Is that a reveal or just numerology?

Ira

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 08:14:02 PM »
Funny that you mention this. I just posted photos from #3 from before The Cradle, when the first hole was on the Resort side of the road.

Here is a link to the Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CmWx14UuMzc/

I like #3 a lot. I'd play it again, although I have no idea what they did to replace old number one hole.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 09:03:50 PM »
Funny that you mention this. I just posted photos from #3 from before The Cradle, when the first hole was on the Resort side of the road.

Here is a link to the Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CmWx14UuMzc/

I like #3 a lot. I'd play it again, although I have no idea what they did to replace old number one hole.

I believe the current 1st and 2nd holes used to be one hole, thus making up for the loss of the hole where the Cradle is located.

Tyler

Theresa Stotler

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 09:22:03 PM »
Played N0 7 in the seniors north South a challenging golf course variety of holes no much activity for the clubhouse.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 08:09:31 AM »
Ira,
My personal preference in order:
#1/#9 (tie)

I play 1, 3, and 9 every visit.

For me, #5 is the most "characterless" course at the resort. You can find its equal just about anywhere.
I don't know who will be in your party, but my guests-a mix of mid-cap males, sporting females, and juniors (all of whom don't give a darn about "architectural merit")-enjoy #1 the most of the "odd"balls.

P.S. I've made a tradition of playing SP on Super Bowl Sunday...and that kicks off my Pinehurst week.

P.S.S. It's a great time to be in the area.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2022, 08:26:56 AM »

Is that a reveal or just numerology?

Ira

I'll take any bet that PCC DOESN'T announce the opening/acquisition/construction plans of "#10"-and maybe more-that coincides with the '24 Open.

Greg Krueger

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2022, 03:45:30 PM »
#1 is really good, it's just the par 5's that are weak. A good collection of par 4's and at least 3 excellent par 3's.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2022, 04:21:24 PM »
#1 is a fine Ross routing except for the 9th which replaced the old 18th.
#3 may be yard for yard the toughest course on property with 8 Ross greens, 6 Ellis Maples greens and 4 Kye Goalby greens Diabolically short.
#5 is a Ross/Maples combo with some good holes.
#7 if you like Reese Jones long and tough with significant interludes between holes.
#9 Real Estate course typical of its time with many tiered greens that require distance control.
#10 may be the best course you have never played.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 06:51:27 PM by Jay Mickle »
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2022, 04:32:10 PM »
#3 is my 2nd favorite course at the resort.
H.P.S.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2022, 04:33:57 PM »
Jay,

Lol, but TOC is almost certainly the best course I have never played. And that will remain true unless we are lucky enough to ballot on. If whatever PH10 becomes is better than PH2 or MP, that in itself will be quite an accomplishment.

Have a wonderful holidays and hope to raise a glass on your patio again sometime soon.

Ira

David_Madison

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2022, 03:14:50 AM »
#1 is perhaps the membership's favorite course to play on a regular basis. Really nice rolling terrain and very pretty property, not terribly long even from the back tees, and a pleasant playing experience. The two par-5's are indeed weak, but they play a bit too long to be par-4's that would fit in with the rest of the course. And besides, I guess that's how they keep par at 70.

#3 is yard for yard the toughest course of the nine, substantially more difficult than even #2. The greens and surrounds have a severity and complexity that is just off the charts. The front nine, which is very short, requires an extreme amount of precision into the greens as well as good distance control off the tees. The back nine is a bit more traditional, but its shot values are still very challenging. When the course is running, it is an exceptionally fun and interesting layout, and tons of fun playing it with hickories.

#5 is a total yawner. The course of absolute last resort. Pretty wide open and kinda' bland. It's laid out over nicely rolling terrain and the site does have wonderful potential, but as is it's just ordinary.

#7 Jay's pithy description is spot on. It's a good course for competitions as long as the participants are all competitive college or comparable players. This is the only course among the nine that we regularly consider taking riding carts.

#9 is a 1980's-era Jack Nicklaus course that is the centerpiece of an upscale residential community and since acquired by PCC also part of the resort and club. It's a very challenging course, tight in a number of places, and requires a great deal of precision into the greens to score well on. Worth playing at least once as it's a bit of a time piece reflective of what Nicklaus was designing back then, and there are a number of very attractive holes that incorporate large natural ponds and other native areas.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2022, 08:42:35 AM »
Jay, outside of the walkback, is the current 9th better than the old 18th?

The 18th may be a weak par five. The fourth is better than "weak."

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2022, 01:18:45 PM »

The 18th may be a weak par five. The fourth is better than "weak."

Didn't Bill Coore build the 9th at #1?
H.P.S.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2022, 07:05:29 PM »

I only vaguely recall the 18th. The current 9th is a fine downhill par 3 with a carry over wetlands. My objection is the walk back past the tee where the next group waits (one hopes) to tee off. My solution if environmentally possible would be a tee box for #10 short and left of the green. That would require considerable tree clearing and changing # 10 into a par 5.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2022, 11:39:35 PM »
#3 may be yard for yard the toughest course on property with 8 Ross greens, 6 Ellis Maples greens and 4 Kye Goalby greens Diabolically short.
#5 is a Ross/Maples combo with some good holes.
#7 if you like Reese Jones long and tough with significant interludes between holes.
#9 Real Estate course typical of its time with many tiered greens that require distance control.
#10 may be the best course you have never played.

Our group of six guys all were higher in relation to par at Pinehurst #3 than we were the following day at Forest Creek North. It is a shame that the OOB is so prevalent at #3 (primarily on the back nine) it definitely detracts from the experience.

Tyler

Jay Mickle

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2022, 05:20:19 PM »

Our group of six guys all were higher in relation to par at Pinehurst #3 than we were the following day at Forest Creek North. It is a shame that the OOB is so prevalent at #3 (primarily on the back nine) it definitely detracts from the experience.
Tyler
In 1921 when MidPines was built one journalist said that it was a tougher test of golf, than the championship course at Pinehurst. At that time Pinehurst championship course was #3. I guess they split the easier holes off to make nine at number five.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Craig Disher

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2022, 08:56:29 AM »
I just looked at an old aerial of #3 and for sure, it was a bear. The first three holes of #5 were 2, 3, and 4 of the original #3. Then the course wandered off into what is now housing and returning to a few of the original holes that remain. The original 18th, which is now stuck somewhere in the middle of the back 9, was significantly longer, a real test. I can't say much for the added Maples' and continue to be saddened by the decision to tear up this course. There was plenty of property available for another 18 without tampering with #3 and room between holes to build some houses or condo. Truly a great course lost.

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2022, 09:00:31 AM »
Merry Christmas Craig!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back