News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Sander

3rd Annual Midwest Mashie - Broadmoor CC/The Fort
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:20:39 PM »
Hello all,

George Freeman (The Father of The Mashie) and I are happy to announce that we have come up with a backup plan for this year’s Midwest Mashie. Unfortunately, the May date did not work for many and it was canceled. Hopefully, many of you will be interested in a later date and as a result this year’s event will live up to the first two installments at Lost Dunes and Lawsonia.

We are limited to 24 players, so it will be first come first served. Please respond if you are interested and try to indicate a preliminary lodging preference (options listed below). I will make updates in the thread and also post current information in this original post, including the up to date roster. Feel free to send any questions my way via PM or on the thread.

Just a reminder, George is getting married soon, so let’s try not to burden him with any of this until after the nuptials.

Where:  Broadmoor Country Club (Donald Ross w/ somewhat recent work done by Renaissance) and The Fort Golf Resort (Pete Dye) – Indianapolis, IN

When:  September 22nd and 23rd

Golf:  
1st Round Saturday September 22nd  at Broadmoor CC (tee times beginning at 1:30 PM) – Best Ball teams
2nd Round Sunday September 23rd  at The Fort (morning tee times beginning at 7:45 AM) – Best Ball teams or Singles*
*Typically we’ve done some alternate shot matches on Sunday morning, but since we are playing two different courses, it is doubtful many would choose to play alt shot in their only round at The Fort. If there are any teams that would like to play alt shot they are welcome to do so.

Cost of Golf:
Broadmoor CC - $80/man assumes walking - $20 for cart – Caddies can be made available if reserved well in advance. Their caddies are primarily high school and college kids and are used primarily in the summer months.

The Fort - $59 if we have 20 or more, otherwise the cost will be $69. That fee includes cart. The Fort is walkable, but due to the terrain in certain areas, it should be considered a difficult walk.

Dinner: Saturday evening at Broadmoor CC immediately following the round. Hors d'oeuvres will be served beginning at 6:00. Dinner will be shortly thereafter, and everyone will have a choice of 4 entrees (salmon, chicken, new york strip, or a vegetarian pasta). The cost of the entire dinner, including the hors d'oeuvres, will range from $33.50 to $47.95 depending on your entree selection. That price does not include any adult libations, which will be paid for individually.

A presentation during dinner will be given by Ted Sturges (former Broadmoor member who served on the greens committee throughout the renovation process) and Bruce Hepner (the on-site associate from Renaissance during the Broadmoor renovations). There will also be an informal Q&A with Ted, Bruce, and Tim Liddy.

Lodging:  We have 2 officers homes reserved at $234.70 (per house) per night. We will divide the total by the number staying in each house. They can comfortably sleep 8 (6 queen beds and 2 pullout sofas) and also have full kitchens and 2 1/2 bathrooms. For those that are participating, PLEASE let me know if you intend to stay in an officers home as we will take the first 16.

The Fort also has a lodge with several rooms ranging from $92.49/night to $172.05/night based on size and occupancy. If you would like to book one of these rooms, you will have to do so yourself by calling 1-877-563-4371. You will need to mention the "Stay and Play DISCOUNT" not the "Stay and Play PACKAGE" as we already have a reduced green fee for Sunday's golf.

Other area hotels that are relatively close (you will have to book on your own):

Hampton Inn Castleton (317) 576-0220
Comfort Inn and Suites - (317) 823-7700
Drury Inn and Suites - (317) 849-8900
Hilton Indianapolis North - (317) 849-6668

Again, for those that are participating, please let me know if you would like to stay in one of the officers homes or if you are handling your own lodging. Thanks...

Roster:

In

Jud Tigerman
Jason Thurman
Chris Clouser (Sunday)
Howard Riefs
Mark Smolens
Guest of Mark Smolens
Tim Liddy (Saturday)
Bill Seitz
Brian Finn
Todd Housteau
Scott Sander (Saturday)
Ward Peyronnin
Josh Tarble
Chris Sturges
Bill Steele (Saturday)
Bryan Sander (Sunday)
Matt Sander
Ted Sturges (dinner only)
Bruce Hepner (dinner only)

Maybe

Sven Nilsen
Scott Sander (sunday)
Evan Fleisher +1

Related Links:

http://www.broadmoorcc.com/
http://www.thefortgolfcourse.com/
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49731.0.html – photo tour of The Fort
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/broadmoor-in/ - Ran’s 2002 profile of Broadmoor CC
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43542.0.html – Lost Dunes Mashie thread
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46456.0.html – Lawsonia Mashie thread

I hope many of you can attend, it should be a great time.

Thanks,
Matt Sander
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:13:37 PM by Matthew Sander »

Matthew Sander

Re: 3rd Annual Midwest Mashie - NEW DATE AND VENUE
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 09:29:12 PM »
Also, here is a list of some area public courses worth a look if you would like to add some golf before or after the event:

The Trophy Club (Liddy) - Lebanon, IN
Brickyard Crossing (Dye) - Indianapolis, IN
Prairie View GC (RTJ Jr.) - Carmel, IN
Bear Slide (Liddy) - Cicero, IN
Purgatory GC (Ron Kern) - Noblesville, IN
Heartland Crossing Golf Links (Smyers w/ Nick Price) - Camby, IN
Harrison Hills (Langford/Liddy) - Attica, IN
Kampen Course (Dye) - Lafayette, IN
Coyote Crossing (Irwin) - Lafayette, IN

These are the first that come to mind. You can also find many other fine public options in the area.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:32:20 PM by Matthew Sander »

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 05:16:52 AM »
Hi Matt -

Please count me in.  Thanks.

Best, Andrew

JLahrman

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 10:24:27 AM »
Y'all could really turn this into a nice event, especially if guys are interested in playing a few of those other courses. Autumnal Equinox weekend is without a doubt the best time of year to play golf in the Midwest, and Indianapolis has some good options.

If it weren't my daughter's first birthday, and my in-laws weren't coming to visit us here in California, I would consider flying to Cincinnati to visit my parents and then driving up for some gawf.

Good luck with the event.

Ken Fry

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »
Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend.

To those considering this trip, Broadmoor is a fantastic Ross course that over the years has had very little done to the bones of the course.  While I have not played the course in quite a few years, recently massive tree removal was done which could only have helped.  The Fort is an incredible public course on the old Fort Benjamin Harrison Army Base.  The terrain is like nothing you would expect for central Indiana.

Thanks Matt and George for putting together another great line-up.

Ken

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 12:31:24 PM »
This is a very nice lineup.  Unfortunately, I am already travelling at that time and cannot attend.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 12:43:42 PM »
Hi Matt. I would love to play. Please count me in as well. I love the Indy golf scene.

I don't have a big preference on lodging, as I have a few dozen free Starwood nights from a consulting job I recently left, but the lodge rates at The Fort sound fine if I can't make a Starwood option work.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jud_T

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 12:59:40 PM »
In!  I'll take a spot in one of the houses Saturday and a caddy too if available.  I may have a buddy as well who was at last year's Mashie if allowed.  Thanks for organizing (or reorganizing!)....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matthew Sander

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 02:51:36 PM »
I've updated the roster in the original post. It looks like we have the ball rolling, still plenty of spots left...

You'll notice one glaring name that is not on the IN list. Mr. Mashie himself, George Freeman, notified me today that another wedding will be requiring his attendance on that weekend. It must be the summer/fall of love. We'll hit a ceremonial tee shot in his honor.

Jud,

Your friend is welcome. Also, your caddie request is noted. I'll contact the pro at Broadmoor with caddie requests in a few weeks so he can make the arrangements. I'll also have to get back with you regarding their caddie fees.

Thanks,
Matt

George Freeman

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »
You'll notice one glaring name that is not on the IN list. Mr. Mashie himself, George Freeman, notified me today that another wedding will be requiring his attendance on that weekend. It must be the summer/fall of love. We'll hit a ceremonial tee shot in his honor.

Unfortunately this is true.  I have come to grips with the fact that the forces of nature (or is it the forces of good and evil?  Or just The Force?) have teamed against me and my ability to partake in any Mashie festivities this year. 

Have fun fellas!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Chris Clouser

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »
To add to Matt's list of courses about an hour from Indy, Otter Creek in Columbus or Rock Hollow in Peru.

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 04:48:29 PM »
I think Sunday afternoon times at Harrison Hills should be under serious consideration
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Howard Riefs

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 04:55:52 PM »
Thanks to Matt and George for all the work with the fall Mashie for 2012.  Please sign me up.  For other specifics:

Lodging:   Officer home

Dinner:     St. Elmos (http://www.stelmos.com/Private-Dining)

Also, I would would come into Indy early to play Friday afternoon and Saturday morning if others are interested in getting in a few more rounds in the Hoosier state.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Matthew Sander

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 04:56:26 PM »
I think Sunday afternoon times at Harrison Hills should be under serious consideration

I can't join you, but I'm sure you'll get some takers. For anyone that would like to add Sunday tee times to their itinerary, try to let me know and I'll do my best to get you out in the first groups on Sunday morning. We are starting at 7:45, so even with the hour+ drive to Harrison Hills, there should still be plenty of daylight as Sunset is around 7:40 that time of year.

Although, I would also suggest strongly to those headed back to Chicago, that The Trophy Club is conveniently situated right off of I-65 near Lebanon and is most certainly worth a look.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 05:14:02 PM »
Dinner:     St. Elmos (http://www.stelmos.com/Private-Dining)

Howard,

Believe me, I considered looking into St. Elmo's for a group dinner, but I've kind of shied away from it and here is why. Our tee times at Broadmoor are from 1:30-2:30. Assuming a 4 hour round, some won't be finishing up until 6:30 or so. Giving them time to get to their rooms and clean up (as St. Elmo's isn't really a straight from the course kind of place, especially since it can still be warm in central IN in mid/late September) will make for an awfully late start to dinner. That is why I'm trying to see what we can do at The Fort. They have several room options for group dining at the conference center, and while the quality won't be to the level of St. Elmo's, it will be somewhat more convenient.

That said, I encourage anyone who is spending a little extra time around Indy to make a visit to St. Elmo's.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 05:28:37 PM »

Howard,

Believe me, I considered looking into St. Elmo's for a group dinner, but I've kind of shied away from it and here is why. Our tee times at Broadmoor are from 1:30-2:30. Assuming a 4 hour round, some won't be finishing up until 6:30 or so. Giving them time to get to their rooms and clean up (as St. Elmo's isn't really a straight from the course kind of place, especially since it can still be warm in central IN in mid/late September) will make for an awfully late start to dinner. That is why I'm trying to see what we can do at The Fort. They have several room options for group dining at the conference center, and while the quality won't be to the level of St. Elmo's, it will be somewhat more convenient.

That said, I encourage anyone who is spending a little extra time around Indy to make a visit to St. Elmo's.

Thanks for indulging me and you're right about the logistics. 

I always wanted to go to St. Elmo's with a big group of guys -- passing around 3 liter bottles of a big Cabernet, gnawing on 35 oz rib-eyes, laughs aplenty to elicit shushing from neighboring tables, etc.

Instead, it's just been me and my wife -- wines by the glass, petite filet, eyes gazing.

Hopefully, The Fort can find us a few shrimp cocktails to hold me over until my next time in Indy.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Matthew Sander

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 05:33:31 PM »
Don't worry Howard, if you work hard enough and keep your nose clean, all of your dreams will come true. It is a beautiful scene though...

John McCarthy

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »
Im in.  Maybe ill sneak over to crooked stick and try to find the 18 balls i lost there in 1989

The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Mark Smolens

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 06:18:12 PM »
Hmm, South Dakota visiting Evanston vs. the Cats or a weekend playing golf in Indy? Sorry, Fitz, love ya, but I'm in. . .

Howard Riefs

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 08:56:34 PM »
Hmm, South Dakota visiting Evanston vs. the Cats or a weekend playing golf in Indy? Sorry, Fitz, love ya, but I'm in. . .

Glad you can join us. Luckily, you can enjoy a NU home win the against another cupcake the following weekend.

~ Indiana University, Class of 1993

Tim Liddy

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 09:31:09 PM »
I am in if there is still room.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 09:33:40 PM »
Also in if there is still space.  I'd certainly be in for splitting an officer's house if that's where everyone else plans on staying.

As for Sunday afternoon (or Saturday morning), for the Chicago contingent, Kampen, Coyote Crossing, or Trophy Club may be better options, as they're on the way back to Chicago.  All three are really good golf courses, though I'd rate Kampen and the Trophy Club over Coyote Crossing.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:51:12 PM by Bill Seitz »

Brian Finn

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 09:40:26 PM »
I would like to attend as well.  I am fine with any of the lodging options at the fort.  I would also love to squeeze in another round or two while in the area. Thank you for organizing the new time/location.  B. Finn
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »
Is Harrison Hills really that far out of the way? 

Matthew Sander

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 10:22:45 PM »
Is Harrison Hills really that far out of the way? 

Jud,

Yeah, it is more remote than many of the other add-on options. I mentioned it for the more adventurous who would like to see a little Langford. It lies west of Lafayette between I-74 and I-65. Some of the other possibilities are much more conveniently located especially for those going to/from Chicago.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back