News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Morandi

Re: 2023 Golf Course March Madness Bracket - *CHAMPIONSHIP VOTING*
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2023, 01:20:24 PM »
I ranked courses that I PLAYED and on the basis of shot quality, using every club in the bag and challenge.

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2023, 05:48:02 PM »
Final reminder to pick your champion this evening if you haven't already done so:

Voting for the championship is now live until Monday, 4/3 at 9 pm PT: https://forms.gle/2GkaQTPdP78rkg7G8
Instagram: mj_c_golf

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2023, 12:10:50 AM »
Not unlike UConn's dominance throughout the tournament, the GCA 2023 National Champion is Alister MacKenzie's 1928 Cypress Point Club.

Cypress beat NGLA 65% to 35%.

I'm still not sure how to interpret Tom's earlier call that NGLA would win. Perhaps it was a bait to get people to counter his assumption with votes for CPC, and thereby ensure a win for the course he actually believed deserved it most ;)   
Instagram: mj_c_golf

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2023, 03:44:07 AM »

I'm still not sure how to interpret Tom's earlier call that NGLA would win. Perhaps it was a bait to get people to counter his assumption with votes for CPC, and thereby ensure a win for the course he actually believed deserved it most ;)

Russian bots

Dan_Callahan

Re: 2023 Golf Course March Madness Bracket - *FINAL*
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2023, 08:47:59 AM »
If you take away the ocean, does Cypress still win?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2023, 08:52:30 AM »
If Bing Crosby couldn’t sing Cypress doesn’t win.

Michael Morandi

« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2023, 12:04:58 PM »
Sandy Tatum on CPC in 2008:

Discuss how the ball and technology has effected Cypress Point over the past thirty years.
[/color]It’s just not viable as a championship course anymore. As you know, there is plenty of room to add distance at Cypress Point. Holes 4,6,8 could be lengthened and 9 if the tee is moved down. Furthermore you could go back as far as you wanted on 12 and 13.
[/color]There was a serious movement to do that and I wrote a letter to the board saying to do that would eliminate a Mackenzie design. I added that if Cypress wanted to have an influence on the game then keep it is as it is and have it used as a clinical example of why the ball should be rolled back. As a practical manner, lengthening it was only going to accommodate a very small percentage of people. I have a friend who is a member and he disagrees with me. His argument is he saw Tiger Woods play the 2nd hole with a driver and 4 iron. Others have seen him try and drive the 17th hole. My argument is that when a player can do that, he takes every single design element that the architect puts in the hole, out of play.

Michael Moore

« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2023, 01:59:19 PM »
It looks to me like a player trying to drive the seventeenth hole encounters numerous and exciting design elements.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2023, 05:36:11 PM »
Back in the early days of the Internet (late 90's), I had a video of Tiger on the 17th doing an impression of Mark Calcavecchia's swing (he was there during a practice round of the AT&T). He was trying to drive the green.  Tiger might have been playing with Calc.

Unfortunately, I lost the video and haven't been able to find it.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Max Prokopy

« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2023, 08:47:00 PM »
Being fortunate to have played both, I voted for NGLA because the weakest holes are still so compelling.  East coast bias I guess.

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2023, 01:34:02 AM »
Jim O'Kane,

Thanks for your post.  I liked it.

Thanks John.

I'm not sure it was relevant, or even that I should have shared. (thought about deleting it as I had been up late working and had a couple of colden ones).

Since you replied, I left it.

I don't have the knowledge to contribute much sometimes, so, thank you sir.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back