News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Mike McGuire

Re: OT. Pickleball and country clubs
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2023, 01:20:32 PM »
Ive been playing Pickleball for 9 years and teaching for 6. I used to play a ton of golf and comment on this site. Recently helped teach a pickleball clinic at Milwaukee CC. I caddied there when i was like 12 so that was a hoot. We played over the tennis nets right next to the 5th fairway. Never thought id see that day ... game is loud, not just the ball hitting the paddle, its the laughter as well ha

Bill Seitz

« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2023, 03:28:20 PM »

I know 2 guys my age, mid 40s, who’ve torn their Achilles in the last month playing pickle ball

Played in the member-guest at a prominent Midwest club about 10 years ago.  First I'd heard of pickleball, and it was described as an activity very popular with retirees.  We got paired with two active (at the time) NHLers in the second round, one at the tail end of his career, but without a contract.  We got paired with them again in the third round, but only one of them answered the bell.  The free agent blew out his knee playing pickleball the night before.  I got the sense they played with a bit more intensity than most retirees.

Jason Connor

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2023, 08:01:20 AM »
Along with replacing our 50+ yr old pool and pool house, and renovating our bunkers with capillary concrete, my club will be adding 4 pickleball courts as part of an upcoming capital project. I’m sure that in time, I will get used to the sound.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2023, 10:40:34 AM »
   So, we’re telling pickleball stories.  OK. I consider myself a competent racquet person, having played 4 years of intercollegiate squash back when the hard ball was in use. (That should date me to those who understand.)
   I played pickleball during winters 2-3 years ago. It was a good workout in the Dominican heat, and I was competent, not good. One day I retreated for a lob, wasn’t as fast as I thought, and my feet went out from under me.  I hit the back of my head on the court, am told I made quite a noise and was out for a few seconds, and remained wobbly for a few hours. Never again.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 10:56:02 AM by Jim_Coleman »

David_Tepper

Mark_Fine

« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2023, 08:52:38 PM »
For anyone who doesn’t think Pickleball can provide a real workout or doesn’t require athleticism, they just aren’t playing at a high enough level. Some say the same about golf, that you don’t have to be a great athlete to play at a high level.  Most (not all) high level golfers and Pickleball players will beg to differ.  Pickleball for sure is drawing in much better athletes and for that reason the game is already changing.  Golf did the same. 

I watched John McEnroe play in that Pickleball match.  I love John, one of the greatest tennis players ever, BUT he is not very good at Pickleball. From what I saw on TV, compared to the players I play with, I would put him at a 4.0 and not much higher.  He would’t make our top court in our doubles games.  Those that play the game know what I am talking about.  He could obviously be great IF he embraced the game, and might give it more respect but as of now, his game needs work ;)  He wouldn’t score a point off the best players out there and most 4.5s would kick his butt especially if they didn’t know he was John McEnroe.

As I said earlier, the game has sound issues.  In time I think they will lessen as they are already working on quieter paddles etc.  But don’t say it does not require athletic talent.  Play a 4.5 or 5.0 player and then draw your conclusion. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 08:55:01 PM by Mark_Fine »

David_Tepper

« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2023, 11:11:07 PM »
Mark -

I have been around racket sports for 60 years. I have competed at an intercollegiate and national level.

If John McEnroe played pickleball an hour a day for 2 weeks there is not the slightest doubt in my mind he could compete successfully with anyone in his age group. He won 10 Grand Slam doubles titles. You can't do that unless you have great reflexes and can volley well.

Meanwhile, if you want to see a racket sport played at the highest level, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk9guzivxiU

DT

« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 11:16:58 PM by David_Tepper »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2023, 06:09:25 AM »
David,
I agree with you, John would be great at the sport IF he practiced and embraced it.  He would also give it much more respect if he did.  I played Division One #1 singles and doubles in college so I got to play the best players around the country. I switched to golf out of school and just recently started playing Pickleball. My past tennis skills definitely help.

Great video you sent!  Check this one out as well:

https://youtube.com/shorts/a48AaXDke-U?feature=share
[/size]

Tom Yost

« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2023, 11:35:08 AM »
Apparently, some folks at Sun Lakes Oakwood are not happy with the trend:

David_Tepper

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2024, 08:54:43 AM »
2-time Masters winner Bernhard Langer recently tore his Achilles tendon playing pickleball and will not be able to play in what was to be his final Masters this year.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/13/sport/bernhard-langer-pickleball-the-masters-golf-spt-intl/index.html 

The Golf Channel's (and 2-time US Women's Am winner) Kay Cockerill did the same last year.

It's a dangerous game. ;) 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2024, 10:53:07 AM »
Orthopedic surgeons should have billboards on the courts. Many injuries at my club with 30+ courts and 1500 Pickleball members.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Buck Wolter

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2024, 11:10:29 AM »
Billion dollar idea -- quiet pickleballs
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2024, 11:24:16 AM »

I'm sure it can be done, that air-less basketball is very quiet when it bounces.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

PCCraig

« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2024, 07:00:30 PM »
We have two hard tennis courts that are hardly used since our clay courts are more popular. Those hard courts had been lightly converted to pickleball a few years ago and it's become the 2nd most popular sport at the club after golf.

We're now converting those two tennis courts into 4 permanent pickleball courts and 2 platform (I call it Paddle too, Ian) tennis courts.

The NEW game that is quickly becoming popular here in Minnesota and elsewhere is Padel. Another incredible fun game that combines elements of pickle, squash, and paddle.

I think the big reason pickle and padel have become so popular is that there is no overhead serve. That takes a long learning curve for many compared to the underhand serve of pickle.
H.P.S.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2024, 07:31:10 PM »

I'm sure it can be done, that air-less basketball is very quiet when it bounces.

There is an air-less basketball?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

David_Tepper

« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2024, 10:19:39 PM »
"I think the big reason pickle and padel have become so popular is that there is no overhead serve. That takes a long learning curve for many compared to the underhand serve of pickle."

PCCraig -

I agree with you about that, which is why (in my mind at least) pickleball is a much lesser sport than tennis.

DT

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2024, 01:07:58 AM »

There is an air-less basketball?

Yes, here is a link: [size=78%]https://www.wilson.com/en-us/explore/basketball/airless-prototype[/size]

It’s expensive now, but should get cheaper in time.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tim Martin

« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2024, 08:06:37 AM »
Golf is a game where “quiet” at least when someone is playing a shot is part of the culture. The din of pickleball seems to run counter to that ethos and is somewhat analogous to having the local dog pound across the street from the first tee. I understand the appeal of pickleball but not at the golf course.

PCCraig

« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2024, 09:36:41 AM »
"I think the big reason pickle and padel have become so popular is that there is no overhead serve. That takes a long learning curve for many compared to the underhand serve of pickle."

PCCraig -

I agree with you about that, which is why (in my mind at least) pickleball is a much lesser sport than tennis.

DT

Not sure I was stating that I thought one was a greater or lesser sport. I've spent most of my life playing squash as my primary racquet sport of choice. For years it seemed that racquet sports (tennis, squash, racquetball, etc.) were "dying" in popularity. Not sure I care what sport people enjoy most as so long as they enjoy it and it gets them out hitting a ball. It's all good.
H.P.S.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2024, 09:50:00 AM »

Another golf/racquet tie in. This one looks pretty niche.

https://uscourttennis.org/2023/new-real-tennis-court-debuts-at-sand-valley/

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

David_Tepper

« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2024, 10:08:14 AM »
Buck W. -

Thanks for your post. Now there is a real racquet sport.  :)

My guess it could be a hundred years since the last court tennis court was built in the U.S.

PCCraig -

Sorry, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. But I stand by my opinion and what I wrote. ;)

DT

p.s. Call me (very) old school, but it is hard to take any game played with a wiffle ball seriously. :D 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 10:29:48 AM by David_Tepper »

PCCraig

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2024, 11:16:27 AM »

Another golf/racquet tie in. This one looks pretty niche.

https://uscourttennis.org/2023/new-real-tennis-court-debuts-at-sand-valley/

Real tennis is really fun and addicting. The nearest court is located in Chicago and I would think building the court at SV is an attempt to appeal to a certain well heeled group of prospective members/investors.
H.P.S.

David_Tepper

« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2024, 11:35:31 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_tennis

Like the featherie in golf, the balls used in real/court tennis are hand sewn.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back