News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Sayre

OT: Golf, But Louder
« on: February 22, 2023, 03:34:35 PM »
Sally Jenkins, daughter of the legendary Dan, absolutely torches LIV today in the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/02/22/pga-tour-liv-golf/[/size]

Dan_Callahan

Re: OT: Golf, But Louder
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 04:38:00 PM »
I'm not a fan of LIV, but that reads like an uninformed, paid hit piece.

"The leader, and only legit major contender, Dustin Johnson ..." Did she forget about the year Cam Smith had in 2022?

"Its jinks-on-the-links-for-clinks gutter golf." I don't even know what that means.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 05:04:11 PM »
Can you cut and paste article please?

WaPo link requires subscription and, well, pass on that...;-)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 05:06:13 PM »
You can get a tube of Preparation H delivered free but not his rag.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 05:24:18 PM »
You're asking someone to infringe copyright?

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 06:32:53 PM »
The article is free. You just have to enter your email address to access it.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 06:59:55 PM »
JK is spot on.  The WaPo is a shell of what used to be a respectable paper when run by the grand dame Katherine Graham & Ben Bradlee.  Bezos's acquisition has made it read like a mid-level Fleet Street rag.

Dan Jenkins was an informed and respected journalist, who I enjoyed reading.

JohnVDB

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 08:44:52 PM »

"The leader, and only legit major contender, Dustin Johnson ..." Did she forget about the year Cam Smith had in 2022?

"Its jinks-on-the-links-for-clinks gutter golf." I don't even know what that means.

Dan,

While I think Sally Jenkins is trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to clone her father’s sharp wit, the [size=78%]article doesn’t say that about Johnson and it specifically calls out Smith as the only player currently of quality.[/size]

This is the only mention of either of them:

“[/size][size=78%]In fact, apart from Cameron Smith, it’s mostly a bailout for guys who have lost it. It’s interesting to note that the average age of the PGA Tour’s current top 10 is just 29.5, with Rahm, Scheffler and Collin Morikawa making huge charges in their mid-20s. The LIV top 10’s average age? It’s 35. The leader, Dustin Johnson, is 38.”[/size]
[/size]

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 08:55:19 PM »
While Ms. Jenkins mentions Mr. Smith, she says only Mr. Johnson is capable of winning a major, which is obviously wrong.

It was a deft skewering otherwise.

I would appreciate Mr. Katona providing examples of the Post's shortcomings, as he sees them. I think I get value for my subscription.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jim Hoak

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 09:20:30 PM »
Please forgive me for diverting away from the basic subject of this post, but the difficulty discussed in opening the article without paying or giving up your email address, which will increase your junk emails, makes me raise my objection to this process. 
I have wanted to comment for sometime on posters on here who send a link to an article that doesn't allow free access to open up  the link.  In a single word--STOP.  If you can't send a full, free article, then don't send it at all.  Very annoying--and it happens too often on this GCA site.
I'll get off my soapbox.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 11:16:34 PM »
Please forgive me for diverting away from the basic subject of this post, but the difficulty discussed in opening the article without paying or giving up your email address, which will increase your junk emails, makes me raise my objection to this process. 
I have wanted to comment for sometime on posters on here who send a link to an article that doesn't allow free access to open up  the link.  In a single word--STOP.  If you can't send a full, free article, then don't send it at all.  Very annoying--and it happens too often on this GCA site.
I'll get off my soapbox.
Check out the bypass paywalls plugins - for either Chrome or Firefox.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 11:18:42 PM »

Yes, she forgot about Cam Smith.  I have a version open from this afternoon and it says this:
So much for the phony public jeremiads from Norman and his chief recruiter, Mickelson, about how LIV is some kind of liberation from PGA Tour oppression and is the future of the game. In fact, it’s mostly a bailout for guys who have lost it. It’s interesting to note that the average age of the PGA Tour’s current top 10 is just 29.5, with Rahm, Scheffler and Collin Morikawa making huge charges in their mid-20s. The LIV top 10’s average age? It’s 35. The leader, and only legit major contender, Dustin Johnson, is 38.
The updated version, adds "apart from Cam Smith"

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 11:22:16 PM »
You're asking someone to infringe copyright?
More like controlling cookies that get downloaded to your PC.
Add this extension to Chrome:
https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 04:55:30 PM »
I'll get off my soapbox.

+1....thank you. My sentiments exactly.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2023, 04:56:37 PM »

It’s interesting to note that the average age of the PGA Tour’s current top 10 is just 29.5, with Rahm, Scheffler and Collin Morikawa making huge charges in their mid-20s.

The LIV top 10’s average age? It’s 35. The leader, and only legit major contender, Dustin Johnson, is 38.

LIV: Golf, but OLDER.....;-)

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2023, 05:51:16 PM »

It’s interesting to note that the average age of the PGA Tour’s current top 10 is just 29.5, with Rahm, Scheffler and Collin Morikawa making huge charges in their mid-20s.

The LIV top 10’s average age? It’s 35. The leader, and only legit major contender, Dustin Johnson, is 38.

LIV: Golf, but OLDER.....;-)
Aren't you forgetting about the guy with the mullet?  He's 29 and the most recent major winner.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2023, 05:55:50 PM »
Even Phil was the defending PGA champion when he joined LIV.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2023, 06:06:03 PM »
The average age of the top 10 LIV golfers is actually 30.56 - one year more than the PGA tour.  But facts can ruin a good story.  (Not that I am a LIV fan)

RankNameAge
5Cam Smith29
23Nieman24
27Ancer31
35Pieters31
43Gooch31
50Pereira27
51HV III32
54DJ38
61Reed32
Average        30.56

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2023, 06:24:51 PM »
Can LIV players play in the PGA?  Time for a new Major. Asia anyone?

Bill Gayne

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2023, 08:41:41 PM »
Being a life long reader of the Washington Post, I've always enjoyed her prose and biting commentary. She has a lot of her father in her and her father is one of my favorite golf and football writers. I love it when she goes after Dan Snyder (Scum of the Earth).

The Post has had some great sports columnist over the years and her writing fits.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 08:57:01 PM by Bill Gayne »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2023, 08:49:16 PM »

WaPo link requires subscription and, well, pass on that...;-)

https://www.removepaywall.com/

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2023, 08:58:22 PM »
The Post has had some great sports columnist over the years and her writing fits.
That may be the case and I agree with her that LIV is terrible. But she f’ed up big time in this article when it comes to basic facts.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2023, 08:59:37 PM »
That may be the case and I agree with her that LIV is terrible. But she f’ed up big time in this article when it comes to basic facts.

She may have been using the money list from LIV last year....very different from current WR list.

archie_struthers

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2023, 09:14:09 PM »
 8)

Got to caddie for Dan Jenkins a few times at Pine Valley when he came in with legendary Texas coach Darrell Royal. They would needle each other all day long and if memory serves Coach Royal typically got the best of Dan in golf but not chirping.

Great memory of some of those times when life was so simple. Caddying at PV and Woodcrest was such a blast!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 09:20:56 PM by archie_struthers »

John Kirk

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2023, 11:30:34 AM »
I'll get off my soapbox.

This happened to me a couple months ago.  I tried to share a link to a NYT article and it didn't work.  I have a subscription and I can share the link in certain specific ways.  I just didn't understand what I could and couldn't do.

It was the only time I've done this to the best of my recollection.  I agree with you, and sorry about the aggravation.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back