News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Re: A GCA Home LINKS in Scotland for less than £1k each?
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2023, 04:27:27 PM »
I'm all for the purchase of golf courses to save a unique property or keep the industry going.  Spey Bay looks neat, would be fun to check it out someday, especially if it becomes even more awesome.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what makes an NFT membership unique.  Yes, I am generally familiar with what an NFT is and why it could be useful, but if everyone agrees per a club's rules that you paid for/qualified/achieved a membership (much like private clubs since the beginning of time), then why an NFT membership?  Because it's cool?

I remember Greg Norman's son being on EAL's podcast talking about this concept, and he came across as the bro-iest of finance bros when his explanation for everything seemed to be "because crypto," or "because its an NFT."  EAL can be out there, but even he seemed confused.

And, if you joined this club from say, the east coast of the US, with the promise of joining the first awesome club purchased....and now it's in NE Scotland!  I'll take any excuse to go across the pond, but I would be confused that my first opp to play/join a club for my membership was 10h by plane away.  I see that they have Outpost Club-like options to play domestically at off times, and a reciprocal network, etc...but this whole thing has me scratching my head.

Will someone educate me?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 04:29:25 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Brad Tufts

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2023, 09:57:27 AM »
Well, mea culpa on the dismay of having the first course in Scotland, as apparently 88% of members voted in favor of the attempt to purchase.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

David_Tepper

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2023, 01:57:44 PM »
Another LinksDAO conference call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADHLBr_SX1c

Does anyone know if Kemper Sports currently manages any golf facilities in the UK?

Brad T. -

I share plenty of your wonder how an organization like this functions. Who controls the money? Who signs the checks? Who decides what golf architect to hire?

It will be very interesting to see how the Spey Bay project develops over the next couple of years. I wonder if LinksDAO really understands what they have gotten themselves into. :)

DT
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 02:15:17 PM by David_Tepper »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2023, 06:35:14 AM »
Another LinksDAO conference call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADHLBr_SX1c

Does anyone know if Kemper Sports currently manages any golf facilities in the UK?

Brad T. -

I share plenty of your wonder how an organization like this functions. Who controls the money? Who signs the checks? Who decides what golf architect to hire?

It will be very interesting to see how the Spey Bay project develops over the next couple of years. I wonder if LinksDAO really understands what they have gotten themselves into. :)

DT
I agree David. My main concern was that the turnover at SB is almost nothing, probably enough for two low wages and a bit fuel. How many of their 9090 members will fly over to play their course and when, it will take several hundred thousand dollars to get this into decent shape, so their will be a fair money burn to get to that point, but I figure they know that much and do understand the costs from A to B to C and D.
One thing for sure in that area there is plenty of quality choice. Membership fees at some of these clubs are still triple figures for annual subscription. When I was doing my sums i just kept thinking am i just falling in love with a bad girl.
A few things don't ring true, they rang 8 golf archies and only the top ones and agronomists too. No golf architect can really price that job without going to look and why 8, shingle is unusual and certainly a puzzle for me although I have worked on a wonderful soil that was heavily contaminated with flint shingle and it was a nightmare for me.
Will be watching this too as it is a very interesting project and hats off to them, lovely piece of land if you can get more sea views and the course better known.
I had a slightly different plan in mind to make it work but it was still not a given.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Marty Bonnar

The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2023, 05:01:44 PM »
Just looked at Links website - if there was a GCA version of Links if the financial/crypto side was worked out it could be feasible and would generate money to have a GCA owned course. I would be interested being a member then.

Links are million miles ahead and not surprised they have generated this amount of money and the perks that they have is an additional bonus with discounts from well know and upcoming manufacturers - whoever has set this up has done very well. 

James Reader

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2023, 02:53:04 PM »
The plan seems to be for a “multiple-option reversible course”. I’m not sure exactly what that is but it’ll be interesting to find out.

Sean_A

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2023, 03:21:39 PM »
The plan seems to be for a “multiple-option reversible course”. I’m not sure exactly what that is but it’ll be interesting to find out.

What? I thought a reversible course could be in the works.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ben Stephens

« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2023, 04:07:10 PM »

What? I thought a reversible course could be in the works.

Ciao

James is right a multiple option reversible course.

OCM are doing a 18 hole course with three different options (21 greens) for Long Island Club nr Melbourne. so there is now an approach of making the course multi dimensional to create more variety and interest.

jeffwarne

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2023, 06:47:44 AM »
I really enjoyed my time at Spey Bay and looked forward to returning,unfortunately, economics made the course/operation I played unsustainable.
I had hoped a smaller scale entity would acquire the course, and make minor upgrades over time, to maintain the simple no frills feel of the place.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

Re: A GCA Home LINKS in Scotland for less than £1k each? New
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2023, 12:27:52 PM »
32-minute discussion on youtube of Links Golf Club's hiring of CDP to work on Spey Bay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfgXFzdMDLE

The discussion takes 3-4 minutes to get rolling. Frank Pont starts speaking about 13 minutes in. The design plans will feature multiple ways to play the property.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 01:21:31 PM by David_Tepper »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back