News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

hhuffines

Re: Pinehurst No 10 - New Tom Doak design
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2023, 10:51:32 PM »
Thatís interesting about the planning process.  I have full faith in the PCC staff!  My issue is Iím just trying to learn enough to understand what our board is trying to do to our course up here in Raleigh.  Weíve enjoyed the best playing conditions in years and they think they can fix what ainít broken.

There apparently is no zoysia on #4 and #8 after the renovations.

Canít wait to see what yíall do down there! Thank you!

Hart

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2023, 10:46:09 AM »
Tom, I get the sense from this thread that your relationship to the client is different from your previous projects.

Do you feel PCC wanted Renaissance Golf Design or "Doak Pinehurst?"

The club's website boasts an opening concurrent with the '24 Open. Is that realistic?

Again, best wishes to you and your team.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2023, 11:56:08 AM »
Tom, I get the sense from this thread that your relationship to the client is different from your previous projects.

Do you feel PCC wanted Renaissance Golf Design or "Doak Pinehurst?"

The club's website boasts an opening concurrent with the '24 Open. Is that realistic?

I'm always trying to understand what the client wants; that's harder when the client is an entity instead of an individual.  [I sent them some questions a week ago and they are still working on them!]  They also have seen fewer of my courses than my typical client has, so it's not as easy to ask what they like about my work.  Everybody likes Pacific Dunes, but that isn't always relevant!

The second question, I don't get what you're driving at.

As to the third, yes, it's realistic.  The plan is to have everything shaped and grassed by the end of this summer, and they are thinking about sodding fairways, which would speed up the grow-in process considerably.  Of course, everything has to go right for all of that to happen, but I don't think it's unrealistic, and we are highly motivated because we have other places to be come fall.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2023, 04:53:08 AM »
https://twitter.com/the_fried_egg/status/1617526200846684160?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

A good analysis by AJ re Fried Egg about this proposal for the Pit (OCM are doing similar to Long Island GC in Melbourne with three (not five) different course variations

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2023, 07:00:07 AM »
Do you really think folks will confuse the "10" as a Doak rating and not a logical sequential number name?  My sense is that the vast majority of visitors (and future players of 10) to Pinehurst have never heard of the Confidential Guide.  Hell, quite a few have likely never heard of Doak!  The "10" moniker and its potential double meaning would only resonate with us few gca whack jobs not the general playing public.   

Tom_Doak

« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2023, 08:39:53 AM »
Do you really think folks will confuse the "10" as a Doak rating and not a logical sequential number name?  My sense is that the vast majority of visitors (and future players of 10) to Pinehurst have never heard of the Confidential Guide.  Hell, quite a few have likely never heard of Doak!  The "10" moniker and its potential double meaning would only resonate with us few gca whack jobs not the general playing public.   

Itís not like I invented the meaning of ďa 10Ē as ďthe bestĒ and I donít know that anyone is shying away from that, although, everyone in Pinehurst knows which course is the top dog and I donít think anyone expects that to change.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2023, 08:53:15 AM »
Do you really think folks will confuse the "10" as a Doak rating and not a logical sequential number name?
No, and it's shocking to me that this thought even arose.
I think Tom "awarded" an 11 one time in the past.
Have you seen the non-GCA forums? Pinehurst X seems the resounding favorite. May look great on merch, but I'd be surprised if PCC went that direction.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back