News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Bodo

Re: Leaves
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2022, 02:44:01 PM »
Crazy, I didn't know there was someone else on the site from the Sylvania, OH area.
Work in Ann Arbor, live in Ypsilanti and belong to Sylvania CC. If you reside in the Toledo area and are interested in playing, shoot me a private message. I'm always up for meeting/playing with new people. 
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

JLahrman

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2022, 07:36:47 PM »
Other than the high murder rate, is GR an ok town?

Ciao

Well I confess that my family and I have only LIVED in Grand Rapids since June. My wife grew up here, and we've been visiting my in-laws every summer for the past 10 years and once every few years for Christmas. It wasn't until this year that we made the full move.

That said, Grand Rapids is quite a nice place to live both from a golf and life perspective. The winter is long for sure, but at least there is plenty of snow which is more fun than frozen dead ground. Summers are great, we're not far from Lake Michigan, there is a lot of good reasonably priced golf in the area (not to mention in Michigan as a whole), and there is plenty to do around town even though Grand Rapids is not that big. Grand Rapids has too many churches but makes up for it by having too many outstanding brew pubs.

FWIW here is the NLU's Grand Rapids episode from Tourist Sauce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrrQNA5X00I
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 07:39:12 PM by JLahrman »

Mike Bodo

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2022, 11:54:14 PM »
Well I confess that my family and I have only LIVED in Grand Rapids since June. My wife grew up here, and we've been visiting my in-laws every summer for the past 10 years and once every few years for Christmas. It wasn't until this year that we made the full move.

That said, Grand Rapids is quite a nice place to live both from a golf and life perspective. The winter is long for sure, but at least there is plenty of snow which is more fun than frozen dead ground. Summers are great, we're not far from Lake Michigan, there is a lot of good reasonably priced golf in the area (not to mention in Michigan as a whole), and there is plenty to do around town even though Grand Rapids is not that big. Grand Rapids has too many churches but makes up for it by having too many outstanding brew pubs.

FWIW here is the NLU's Grand Rapids episode from Tourist Sauce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrrQNA5X00I
Grand Rapids is a great city - especially after they revitalized the downtown area years ago. Lots of great art, theater, music, food and golf to be enjoyed. I've spent many a weekend there.

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2022, 02:46:27 AM »
Crazy, I didn't know there was someone else on the site from the Sylvania, OH area.
Work in Ann Arbor, live in Ypsilanti and belong to Sylvania CC. If you reside in the Toledo area and are interested in playing, shoot me a private message. I'm always up for meeting/playing with new people.

Thanks. I don't recall ever stepping foot inside GR city lines except to play hockey when I was a kid.

Mike, that's quite a ride from Ypsi, why do you belong to a Toledo club? I may be thinking of someone else, but I thought you were at Western and loving it?

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 02:57:53 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mike Bodo

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2022, 03:54:37 AM »
Thanks. I don't recall ever stepping foot inside GR city lines except to play hockey when I was a kid.

Mike, that's quite a ride from Ypsi, why do you belong to a Toledo club? I may be thinking of someone else, but I thought you were at Western and loving it?

Ciao
A former ring rat you were, huh? I love it! My little bro played travel hockey for years out of Royal Oak and Fraser and I helped coach here and there a bit. Wish I had played when I was young.

I left Western after the clubhouse fire in 2018 and joined Washtenaw GC the following year, which was closer to home and still semi-private at the time. I had all the amenities I no longer enjoyed at Western (save a swimming facility) and the course was equally as good, if not better, so it was a no-brainer to switch. The year of COVID (2020) turned me off to Washtenaw, as the course had been sold, went 100% daily fee, got rid of all their lockers so they could use that space to install simulators and I could never get a tee time when I wanted, as they were constantly full. When you were able to get out the pace of play was so horrendously slow it wasn't enjoyable.

In the fall of that year I had the opportunity to play Sylvania and I immediately fell in the love with the place. Western still hadn't finished construction of its new Clubhouse nearly three years on and Sylvania reminded me of everything I loved about Western and more. The course is better, they had an historic old clubhouse like Western used to and drive time from my house was nearly the same (approx. 30 mintues). It's the best decision I've made and I enjoy all aspects of being a member there.

Funny, but when I went back and played Western last Oct. as a guest and finally got to check out the new clubhouse and facilities. I left underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, the building is gorgeous, contemporaray and has all the bells and whistles the old clubhouse didn't, but it lacked the warmth, history and character the original clubhouse had. I missed that and knew then and there I made the right decision joining Sylvania.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2022, 04:14:37 AM »

Ciao
A former ring rat you were, huh? I love it! My little bro played travel hockey for years out of Royal Oak and Fraser and I helped coach here and there a bit. Wish I had played when I was young.

I left Western after the clubhouse fire in 2018 and joined Washtenaw GC the following year, which was closer to home and still semi-private at the time. I had all the amenities I no longer enjoyed at Western (save a swimming facility) and the course was equally as good, if not better, so it was a no-brainer to switch. The year of COVID (2020) turned me off to Washtenaw, as the course had been sold, went 100% daily fee, got rid of all their lockers so they could use that space to install simulators and I could never get a tee time when I wanted, as they were constantly full. When you were able to get out the pace of play was so horrendously slow it wasn't enjoyable.

In the fall of that year I had the opportunity to play Sylvania and I immediately fell in the love with the place. Western still hadn't finished construction of its new Clubhouse nearly three years on and Sylvania reminded me of everything I loved about Western and more. The course is better, they had an historic old clubhouse like Western used to and drive time from my house was nearly the same (approx. 30 mintues). It's the best decision I've made and I enjoy all aspects of being a member there.

Funny, but when I went back and played Western last Oct. as a guest and finally got to check out the new clubhouse and facilities. I left underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, the building is gorgeous, contemporaray and has all the bells and whistles the old clubhouse didn't, but it lacked the warmth, history and character the original clubhouse had. I missed that and knew then and there I made the right decision joining Sylvania.

Mike

I haven't played Washtenaw in what must be 35 years. I don't really remember it. The Ann Arbor area is seriously bereft of good private clubs. Barton Hills is outstanding, but I imagine quite expensive. It has absolutely no competition as The club for miles around. I spent a few days in Ann Arbor in the late summer. Boy, it continues to change. Its losing much of its charm to be honest. But maybe that's the curmudgeon in me taking.

I don't know much about Sylvania. Is there much Park Jr remaining?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mike Bodo

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2022, 08:07:13 AM »
I haven't played Washtenaw in what must be 35 years. I don't really remember it. The Ann Arbor area is seriously bereft of good private clubs. Barton Hills is outstanding, but I imagine quite expensive. It has absolutely no competition as The club for miles around. I spent a few days in Ann Arbor in the late summer. Boy, it continues to change. Its losing much of its charm to be honest. But maybe that's the curmudgeon in me taking.

Ciao
Washtenaw is a great old course with incredible bones and a terrific set of greens. To the current owners credit, they hired Ray Hearn a little over a year ago who developed a new masterplan for the course and has made nice strides returning it back to its original intent - starting with tree removal. Provided the money's there and they're able to stick to the plan, it'll be solidly placed as the 4th best course in the area behind Barton, UM of and Radrick Farms when all is said and done.

To your point about the lack of great private clubs in Ann Arbor, you're spot on! If I could afford to be a member at Barton Hills I would in a heartbeat. The other two options are Travis Pointe and The Polo Fields of Ann Arbor - both Bill Newcomb courses. Nah, not having it. I grew up caddying on a Bill Newcomb course (Great Oaks CC, prior to my stint OHCC). The last thing I want is to be a member at one. LOL!

When push came to shove, Sylvania offered everything I left behind at Western and more. Thus, it made sense to join for the reasons previously mentioned. To your question as to how much Park Jr. is left; there's  a lot! All the original greens remain save three - perhaps four. Most have shrunk considerably, but the pads are still there. The clubs done substantial tree removal the past three years and the course has never looked or played better. However, the heart of the Park layout (the rolling terrain) still remains. Like Washtenaw, we're looking at making changes to our course in an effort to restore it more to Park's original intent, so I'm excited for what the future holds.

If you're ever back in MI private message me and let's meet up for a round of golf somewhere. I'm bummed I missed the opportunity to play with you and Ally when you two were here, as that would have been a blast. But to your point about Ann Arbor having lost much of its character over the years, I concurr 100%!!

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2022, 01:42:27 AM »

Ciao
Washtenaw is a great old course with incredible bones and a terrific set of greens. To the current owners credit, they hired Ray Hearn a little over a year ago who developed a new masterplan for the course and has made nice strides returning it back to its original intent - starting with tree removal. Provided the money's there and they're able to stick to the plan, it'll be solidly placed as the 4th best course in the area behind Barton, UM of and Radrick Farms when all is said and done.

To your point about the lack of great private clubs in Ann Arbor, you're spot on! If I could afford to be a member at Barton Hills I would in a heartbeat. The other two options are Travis Pointe and The Polo Fields of Ann Arbor - both Bill Newcomb courses. Nah, not having it. I grew up caddying on a Bill Newcomb course (Great Oaks CC, prior to my stint OHCC). The last thing I want is to be a member at one. LOL!

When push came to shove, Sylvania offered everything I left behind at Western and more. Thus, it made sense to join for the reasons previously mentioned. To your question as to how much Park Jr. is left; there's  a lot! All the original greens remain save three - perhaps four. Most have shrunk considerably, but the pads are still there. The clubs done substantial tree removal the past three years and the course has never looked or played better. However, the heart of the Park layout (the rolling terrain) still remains. Like Washtenaw, we're looking at making changes to our course in an effort to restore it more to Park's original intent, so I'm excited for what the future holds.

If you're ever back in MI private message me and let's meet up for a round of golf somewhere. I'm bummed I missed the opportunity to play with you and Ally when you two were here, as that would have been a blast. But to your point about Ann Arbor having lost much of its character over the years, I concurr 100%!!

I agree, Travis Pointe and Polo Fields are not courses I would want to commit to.

Good to hear about Sylvania. I have long been a fan of Park Jr's work. I dig front to back greens a hallmark of his courses.

Ally and Doc didn't make it to Ann Arbor. I was on my own for a few nights hangin out with old mates before playing Meadowbrook and shooting off to West Virginia. The city is becoming more plastic. Although, there are tons of places to buy weed. I don't know how they all stay in business.

Thanks for the invite 👍

Ciao

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2022, 10:17:38 AM »
The greens superintendent at my club plans on cutting down some big trees because of the leaf problem as he has nowhere to put them.  The added factor is that amongst the 3 courses there are houses on more than half of the holes and they have no hesitancy in blowing their leaves onto the courses.

I play regularly with quite a large group and I brought up the idea of having a local rule within the group concerning balls lost in leaves.  The Model Local Rules do include a leaf rule.  It was interesting that there was no consensus to implement such a rule and the next day we went out to play and needless to say guys were taking more than 3 minutes to look for balls in the leaves and they were not happy when they had to apply the 2 shot penalty dropping a ball in the fairway. 

Mike Bodo

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2022, 12:41:24 PM »
Ally and Doc didn't make it to Ann Arbor. I was on my own for a few nights hangin out with old mates before playing Meadowbrook and shooting off to West Virginia. The city is becoming more plastic. Although, there are tons of places to buy weed. I don't know how they all stay in business.
LMAO!!! Great observations on the transformation of Ann Arbor. You're spot-on about the pot shops. LOL! While my wife and I still enjoy spending time downtown, we're no longer eneared to it as we once were.

How did you enjoy playing Meadowbrook? I've not had an opportunity to play it since Andy Staples performed his magic there, though I've driven past it many times. Some of the greens look diabolical. I'd love the chance to get on as a guest of a member who knows the lay of the land and would reciprocate a round at Sylvania in exchange.

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2022, 01:20:54 PM »
LMAO!!! Great observations on the transformation of Ann Arbor. You're spot-on about the pot shops. LOL! While my wife and I still enjoy spending time downtown, we're no longer eneared to it as we once were.

How did you enjoy playing Meadowbrook? I've not had an opportunity to play it since Andy Staples performed his magic there, though I've driven past it many times. Some of the greens look diabolical. I'd love the chance to get on as a guest of a member who knows the lay of the land and would reciprocate a round at Sylvania in exchange.

Meadowbrook is terrific. Make the effort.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back