News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Re: Which courses have Zoysia grass
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2022, 07:58:49 PM »
My local public course (NC) has four greens which are sodded Zoysia.
These four are the slowest greens on the course and are very grainy.
Most of us hate them despite their being very smooth.

When courses put zoysia in for greens, I think it’s usually because the green gets too much shade for Bermuda, and the trees that are shading aren’t on golf course property, or can’t be cut because of local ordinances.  In my limited experience, slow and grainy are the two common reactions.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2022, 10:20:45 AM »
Move to St Louis -- almost everything there is. Great in the summer, waterlogged when it goes dormant. Never have to take a divot -- like playing on a tee everywhere.

Buck is corrrect. Odd to find a course that isn't Zoysia (St. Louis CC is bent). I believe Roger Null is credited for bringing it to town when they installed it at Old Warson, Plays great in a dry fall like we're having now.

I think the best use of it is on display at Ozarks National in Branson. Its zoysia throughout with no rough. Goes right from fairway to native

Matthew Galloway

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2022, 10:46:19 AM »
Lot of clubs in NW Arkansas have moved to Zoysia (Blessings, Pinnacle). Great playing surface, Zoysia flyers are a real thing.

There seems to be a transition of grass surfaces in the south-east away from bent grass to alternative solutions to provide stable turf year round and especially as the summers get warmer.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2022, 12:50:35 AM »
I am not a fan—mainly for the reasons mentioned in Post #5 by Jeff Warne.  It is sticky around greens and kills the bump and run game. Also it is tough on your hands when you play from it—and your club does not easily go through it.  I’ve heard of several Zoysia courses regrassing all their approaches.  It’s a Velcro grass.
There are better grasses for most courses.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 04:06:08 AM by Jim Hoak »

hhuffines

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2023, 05:31:30 PM »
Just spent a frustrating afternoon in our 19th hole trying to understand why an agronomist would recommend a zoysia grass for a hilly, clay based, rock infested, crappy course.  Price tag I’m hearing is $6mil plus including irrigation. 

Our Board and greens staff treat our course like a damn laboratory.  Zoysia collars around super quick bermuda  greens. Patches of different zoysias and bermuda grasses in different fairways for observation.

I read where Hasentree CC has struggled and I hear from my member friends that the Dogwood at CCNC project may not be as pleasing as hoped after some time.

Why would anyone try to remove 100 acres of really good common bermuda and replace with zoysia in central NC?  We have a ton of play as well.

Thanks for any thoughts or experience!

Hart

John Emerson

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2023, 10:27:46 PM »
Just spent a frustrating afternoon in our 19th hole trying to understand why an agronomist would recommend a zoysia grass for a hilly, clay based, rock infested, crappy course.  Price tag I’m hearing is $6mil plus including irrigation. 

Our Board and greens staff treat our course like a damn laboratory.  Zoysia collars around super quick bermuda  greens. Patches of different zoysias and bermuda grasses in different fairways for observation.

I read where Hasentree CC has struggled and I hear from my member friends that the Dogwood at CCNC project may not be as pleasing as hoped after some time.

Why would anyone try to remove 100 acres of really good common bermuda and replace with zoysia in central NC?  We have a ton of play as well.

[size=78%]There is no such things as “good” common bermudagrass. I think maybe you may have the common name nomenclature confused. [/size]

Hart
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

hhuffines

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2023, 10:42:16 PM »
Thanks for that John.  I know this, our bermuda, whatever it’s called, provides a superior playing surface and fully covers a uniquely poor location for a golf course.  It’s also there now and won’t cost big money to replace.

Any helpful follow ups appreciated - this is a significant issue for our club.

Thanks!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2023, 09:28:58 AM »

There is no such things as “good” common bermudagrass. I think maybe you may have the common name nomenclature confused.

Dornick Hills, where we worked a couple of years ago, has common Bermuda fairways.  For a club that can't afford to spend a lot of money on maintenance, it seemed like a pretty good choice.  Maybe the lies aren't as perfect as the latest new grass and triple the maintenance budget, but you can definitely play golf on it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back