News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: I told you; LIV is for lawyers...
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2022, 08:54:22 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/evSDVwXENrE

WOW BREAKING NEWS...  PGA Tour puts its independent contractors under contract, disrupts non-profit cash flows and redefines merit system around USA pro golf...  can't wait for all the clickbait to come,,

NOT

This dude can’t wipe the smile from his face.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2022, 07:47:10 PM »
At the end of the day, this is all about the best players making a whole lot more money, nothing else
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tim Leahy

« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2022, 04:17:06 AM »
Everything but the team events sounds fine. President's Cup and Ryder Cup are all the team events I need. Does the LIV have a national TV carrier yet? :o
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

David Cronan

JohnVDB

« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2022, 06:50:35 PM »
https://www.golfchannel.com/news/sources-confirm-multiple-international-presidents-cup-team-members-among-those-headed-liv-golf

I remember the VP of HR at the startup I was a part of saying “They aren’t here until they are here.”  We poached a guy who started with us the day he was supposed to start at another company,

So, until they make the announcement I’m not paying any attention to this.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2022, 11:03:54 PM »
Harold Varner III would be a shocker. I thought he was very close to Tiger
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2022, 11:48:49 PM »
I don't think we will get anything on TV like we saw today with the Fedex Cup from LIV.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2022, 10:10:56 AM »
   I really hope that if/when the Saudis fold their tent, their players aren’t just allowed back.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2022, 10:41:09 AM »
   I really hope that if/when the Saudis fold their tent, their players aren’t just allowed back.

It's entertainment. I miss the villains. Caring who gets $12 million more than the other dude doesn't cut it. The coverage was insulting acting like it does.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2022, 10:52:25 AM »
I find it interesting that Phil has crawled under a rock

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2022, 10:57:12 AM »

The fact that all his peers just got a raise speaks for itself.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2022, 11:10:24 AM »
John: I suppose you’re right. If it took sports washing to get these guys paid what they apparently are worth, then all the players are better off. Looking at it from that perspective, the Saudis have been played like a fiddle, unless it turns out this is really worth the price they are paying. Hard to believe.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2022, 11:23:33 AM »
I can not think of another example of reckless unintended heroism where both sides came out winners.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2022, 11:43:58 AM »

Perhaps if Phil had just gone to the top tier players and got the PGA tour moving in this direction LIV wouldn’t exist. Except for his golf game was in severe decline and he probably wouldn’t have gotten any benefit.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2022, 10:10:12 AM »
The first player I'm going to miss watching has officially left. Cam Smith

Tim Martin

« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2022, 11:30:56 AM »

Perhaps if Phil had just gone to the top tier players and got the PGA tour moving in this direction LIV wouldn’t exist. Except for his golf game was in severe decline and he probably wouldn’t have gotten any benefit.

Rob-Mickelson is 52 years old so regardless of whether he was involved with LIV or not the halcyon days of his PGA Tour career were waning. I would think that if he was allowed to play(and wanted to) and he sharpened up his game he could run the table on the Champions Tour.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2022, 03:39:45 PM »
How's this, everyone came out a winner on this whole thing. Phil was right on and he's been trashed. How about some fore give ness? As far as LIV is concerned, even when they get TV rights, whose going to watch a bunch of has beens, playing a shotgun finish that is almost impossible to cover, finishing on Saturday or even if it finishes on Sunday, the rating will be terribly weak.

Imagine the leaders on 6 different holes, are they going to divide the screen into 6 parts?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2022, 04:01:19 PM »
They've done well with three events in the books. How about the course this week? I just read where Shack called it mediocre.

Steve Lang

« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2022, 04:48:27 PM »
 8)  pretty much every amateur can relate to a one round toonamint hosted at their club or a fav public course, sponsored by a group/charity/business/prof.society with lunch or a keg/snacks and the touring beverage carts, ... the shot-gun start is the de rigueur expectation unless something special is occurring, like the member-guest or club championship, ...

so that is certainly not a turn-off to the fan masses by any means and if anything, more relatable, after all, isn't the party Saturday night?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2022, 05:47:33 PM »
How's this, everyone came out a winner on this whole thing. Phil was right on and he's been trashed.
Phil was wrong about far more than he got right (what exactly did he get right, and why didn't he work to change things the way Tiger, Rory, etc. did?), and the LIV golf is even more restrictive than the PGA Tour. And just because the Saudi Investment fund has enough money to force the PGA Tour to make some changes doesn't mean "Phil was right." About what? Phil wanted the PGA Tour to give up media rights. Did that change? He was wrong about the amount of money they have on-hand, wrong about the percentage of revenue that they pay to their players, etc.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2022, 07:47:08 PM »
I'm with Erik on this one.

Exactly nothing has changed.  The only thing we've learned is enough top golfers are willing to take blood money to have an impact on the PGATour...

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2022, 09:52:00 PM »
Phil was right in that the tour was keeping a huge cash reserve for themselves and that they could come up with some new ideas to maximize revenue, especially for the top players, but at the detriment of the guys outside of the top 50 or so.
When you think about it - why shouldn't the players get the majority of the say in how the tour is run?  But they only have a minority position on the policy board - there are 5 independents, 4 players and one from the PGA of America.   Is that the proper governance model?

Shipnuck goes through it here: https://firepitcollective.com/phil-was-right-phil-mickelson/

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2022, 10:00:34 PM »
Phil was right in that the tour was keeping a huge cash reserve for themselves
No. The Tour just signed the new media deal, so there was always going to be an influx of cash NOW, but not before now. The new media/TV rights deal is just starting to pay out.

When you think about it - why shouldn't the players get the majority of the say in how the tour is run?  But they only have a minority position on the policy board - there are 5 independents, 4 players and one from the PGA of America.
It's going to 5 and 5.

Shipnuck's reporting recently has been horrible. His reporting of the meeting - even in the article you wrote he called it an "uprising" when Tiger and Rory have been working with and consulting with and acting on behalf of Jay the entire time - was massively undercut by NLU's reporting, which was much closer to the what actually transpired there.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back