News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JJShanley

Re: Grand Rapids Public Options?
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 07:36:39 AM »
Ben,

I suggested a hybrid card because it would save them building a whole new set of tees, but I'd happily go along with new, better spaced out tees.  It wouldn't unduly affect the course to trim the fairways a little more, but the presentation didn't affect my enjoyment of the game.  I might have played a second round had the heat that day not exhausted this ginger (but graying and balding) Celt. 

WRT 18 at Pilgrims Run, I wonder whether, as you say, it suffers from the problem of having had a novice route it.  DeVries designed much better hole of that style for 15, I think, at D-S-.  You have the ravine to the right, with a smallish green, but you realize once you reach the green that you don't need to carry the ravine to drive the green.  You see a series of mounds and speed slot that will funnel the ball towards the green.  The challenge of driving the green involves hitting an arrow straight drive, I think, possibly a little fade, on a line 10 yards from the edge of the fairway.  You really don't have that sort of subtlety at PR's 18, where you choose your line based on what distance from which you fancy hitting an approach.  That involves strategy, but but not nearly as much fun at the drive on DS's 15.

One other thing: this trip helped me appreciate the bratwurst as an energy producing snack before or during a round. 

BCowan

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 10:08:11 AM »
JJ,

I know you like Angel's Crossing very much.  What is your pick between Angel's Crossing and Diamond Springs? 

JJShanley

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 10:46:47 AM »
Ben,

Based on my 2⅚ rounds at Angels Crossing and my single round at Diamond Springs, I'd say 7-3 in favor of the latter.  Maybe 6-4.  Now if I could walk 18 more easily at AC, I might even that up, but you have a hike up to the range, and then back to the clubhouse just to get to the first tee, and then you have several hikes during the first four holes.  You've just two hikes - 9→10 and then 14→15 - at DS.

I think DS has a more exciting finish, with the wild green at 14, the decision on line you need to take on 15 from the tee before a delicate approach that might measure 100 yards or just 15, a 16th that demands a progressively accurate shot a you get closer to the green, a 17th that (into the wind, as I played it) demands everything you have (a two-hybrid that carried the ravine by 6-7 yards) to an 18th in a great setting (although needing tree removal by the back tee...) where a back pin position demands the safer line, and a front pin encourages the more testing line that brings the ravine into play on both shots.  I didn't see much wrong with AC, and I love its Redan, but I think that I enjoy DS just a little more.  (I will say, however, that as a ballmarker collector, my DS coin looks awful in comparison to almost all of my favorites.) 

They're just far enough that I wouldn't try to play them both in a single day, but I'd go a two-day 36 hole break to enjoy them both.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 02:43:42 PM »
My wife's from GR and I've played quite a bit around the area, but just played Diamond Springs for the first time this spring.  Really solid golf course.  I played it in mediocre conditions--it was cool and rainy, but played somewhat firm still.  I thought the conditions were fine but did prevent some of the ground game.  Still a great course, lots of fun and I too like how the tees flow to the fairways

I think I met the same dog when I was there too!

JJShanley

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 02:50:17 PM »
I think I met the same dog when I was there too!

Pebble might be the best dog I've met in a golf setting.  He was the only thing having a harder time than me in the heat that day.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »
I'd never heard much about Kaufman before now.  I'll have to put it on my GR list. 

JLahrman

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2022, 04:55:27 PM »
Looks like the NLU guys hit up Grand Rapids on their Michigan Tourist Sauce trip and kept it all public, playing a few of the courses mentioned here:

Tourist Sauce (Michigan): Episode 3, "Grand Rapids" - YouTube

Just curious, do we know how many GCA guys live in Grand Rapids?

JLahrman

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2022, 12:01:41 PM »
Looks like the NLU guys hit up Grand Rapids on their Michigan Tourist Sauce trip and kept it all public, playing a few of the courses mentioned here:

Tourist Sauce (Michigan): Episode 3, "Grand Rapids" - YouTube

Just curious, do we know how many GCA guys live in Grand Rapids?

Update: I know one GCAer in Grand Rapids - ME. Just moved here from Austin, where I was playing basically no golf. Hoping to get out on some of the local courses, wondering if anyone else is around. Ready to get Smitten with the Mitten!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2022, 12:03:58 PM »
JL --
Well, you have no less than industry professional and all round good guy and man about town Joe Hancock as your neighbour!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back