News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Cronin

Re: 2020 Masters
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2020, 08:45:48 AM »
This Masters is as intriguing as any of the other 60 or so I've watched, perhaps more so. We're seeing parts of the place never before seen on television, the course is playing differently – that second cut is real rough, and I'd like to know the thinking behind that – and and the light falls at a different angle in the late afternoon.

The flycam on wire on 16 and the two drones ought to be made a permanent part of the CBS arsenal. Now, if only they could follow tee shots on 13. Maybe next decade.

I can't wait to go back to April and hear the roar of the crowd, but as a one-off, I love it.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2020, 09:09:47 AM »
I was watching the bonus coverage in the am yesterday on the Masters App and mirroring it to my TV in my home office.  For the first several hours (on my feed anyway) there were no announcers or anything.  Just open mics catching the players comments and creek and bird noises, etc.  Dont know if this was something they were doing on purpose, because there was closed captioning of an announcers comments if you wanted them, so someone was giving play by play to create the CC, but it did not come across my audio feed.

Trying to get work done was hard because it caused me to have to pay closer attention.  My daughter (not a big golf watcher) came in and sat down in my office for a while and she said, "man I love just hearing the nature and no announcer!  They should do this all the time!"

At times it just kind of felt like you were walking the course with them, hearing their conversations and not the announcers.  Overall it was pretty cool, and a rare opportunity with no patrons to just have the "out walking with your Thursday morning foursome feel!"
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2020, 09:14:32 AM »
A combination of COVID and other events have given me a swift ball kick financially.

We are working on trying to move our accumulated crap
Out of our house in order to sell.

I had the Masters on while doing work Around the house and I mentioned to my wife how little the telecast grabbed any attention from me.

Normally I would get drawn to and distracted by the telecast and ()I believe) The energy from the crowd noise.

The announcers and blah of the whole thing surprised me.  Could be what we are dealing with, but Augusta has always gotten me pretty excited. Just not in the least today for whatever reason

Wow Pat I'm so sorry to hear this. I wish the quickest and best recovery for you in short time.

For what it matters the Masters always was combined with that special feeling associated with spring. The tournament was a gate opener to another great year. This year it is closing the door on a nightmare.

David Ober

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2020, 09:46:45 AM »
A combination of COVID and other events have given me a swift ball kick financially.

We are working on trying to move our accumulated crap
Out of our house in order to sell.

I had the Masters on while doing work Around the house and I mentioned to my wife how little the telecast grabbed any attention from me.

Normally I would get drawn to and distracted by the telecast and ()I believe) The energy from the crowd noise.

The announcers and blah of the whole thing surprised me.  Could be what we are dealing with, but Augusta has always gotten me pretty excited. Just not in the least today for whatever reason

Wow Pat I'm so sorry to hear this. I wish the quickest and best recovery for you in short time.

For what it matters the Masters always was combined with that special feeling associated with spring. The tournament was a gate opener to another great year. This year it is closing the door on a nightmare.

Yes, indeed. That combined with the soft conditions, makes for a very odd Masters. But as long as Wolff and Simpson win, it'll be the best Masters EVER!

Bruce Katona

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2020, 10:13:44 AM »
So I watched yesterday later in the afternoon.  It was very different (and nice) to see the place sans patrons, so the telecast could show more of the grounds.  I also enjoyed watching how the greens react when they are not rolling at the speed of cured concrete............and Larry Mize and even better Langer showing those young pups how to play by throwing a 68 into the mix.

I hope someone had a few $$$$ on either of these two to make the cut! 

JReese

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2020, 10:29:42 AM »
I can't recall the rough (2nd cut) being as high as it is this week.  Is this due to lack of patrons, weather, or some other reason?
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

William_G

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2020, 10:47:30 AM »
I can't recall the rough (2nd cut) being as high as it is this week.  Is this due to lack of patrons, weather, or some other reason?

it is very high, higher than ever
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 10:51:10 AM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2020, 11:13:30 AM »
What is that noise during the coverage of 12? Drone, sub-air or fan. Please stop it.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2020, 11:15:07 AM »
The second cut needs to be that high, as these guys are throwing darts at the pins because the greens are so soft right now. I can't recall seeing as many balls come to a dead stop upon hitting the greens as the past 1.5 days. They're all but plugging. I hope they firm up and get some of their teeth back, as it's ridiculous seeing what these guys are doing to this course.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Kalen Braley

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2020, 11:15:47 AM »
What is that noise during the coverage of 12? Drone, sub-air or fan. Please stop it.

I heard same last night when they were showing players on #2.  I believe its the sub-air system.  Even Tiger said you could hear em  during his round.

Peter Flory

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2020, 12:42:55 PM »
Sungjae Im flying under the radar

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2020, 03:38:34 PM »
I have enjoyed seeing more of the course without "patron" as well as the drones. Both give new perspectives to the course. Not sure if it is true but the course does not seem as pristine as usual. I know some of it is the old Bermuda raising its head.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff Schley

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2020, 04:04:57 PM »
Have you seen Sandy Lyle's look this year?  I have to say I never have seen suspenders on a golf course, certainly not in professional golf. I suppose in the old days of Bagger Vance it could have been becoming. Will have to see dress codes at private clubs now to see if they mention you must wear a belt (not suspenders in lieu of).
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

David_Tepper

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2020, 04:14:43 PM »
Jeff S. -

There is a well-known GCA-er among us famous for playing wearing both a belt and suspenders!  ;)

DT

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2020, 04:19:24 PM »
This year: the golf course looks better while the golf tournament seems worse. Without patrons and stands, it feels like I’m watching a member-guest at the most exclusive club in the world, and can see everything; but without the roars and applause, some of the (normally thrilling) great shots feel more like target practice, during a practice round. This year: Augusta-the Masters now seem to me not so much the ‘best’ golf course and tournament in the world as the most ‘dramatic’: one heck of a great property there, one ideal venue for exciting finishes.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 04:32:47 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2020, 05:41:54 PM »
So do they come out and re-sod the tees that are beat up today? The 11th Tiger just played off was pretty bad. I can’t imagine you want to hit off fresh sod but with Augusta who knows.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Steve Lang

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »
 8)  don't they have some old tee locations closer to the holes, just need to mow them?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill Gayne

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2020, 07:15:57 PM »
I was listening to the Sirius XM broadcast for a couple hours of windshield time today. Katrek, Rhymer, and the rest of the team do a really good job.

Tim Martin

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2020, 07:27:09 PM »
Have you seen Sandy Lyle's look this year?  I have to say I never have seen suspenders on a golf course, certainly not in professional golf. I suppose in the old days of Bagger Vance it could have been becoming. Will have to see dress codes at private clubs now to see if they mention you must wear a belt (not suspenders in lieu of).

I’m a fan of Sandy but that’s a fashion fail.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2020, 08:13:18 PM »

I think there was some areas in the rough that they simply couldn't mow. In the first round there were several skipped areas ON FAIRWAYS, such as left of 11, and right at the start of 1. Looked like they were able to mow those for today, but I'm sure there are some areas in the rough (especially in low, shady areas) that they still couldn't mow without doing burnouts. Especially to the left of 3 on the low side....

Also keep in mind they are only a few weeks out of a wall-to-wall overseed program and the fertility program that comes with it. That's far different from leaning out a more mature rye stand late in the season for the typical Masters. So big fert, big rain, warm temps, and that grass is jumping. Plus not being able to mow certain areas.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 12:00:00 AM by Tom Bacsanyi »
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Terry Lavin

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2020, 09:18:09 PM »
Great leaderboard but it’s not compelling television.

Yet.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Flory

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2020, 12:22:29 AM »
I agree.  When the ball hits and stops, it is just an aerial attack and relatively boring.  You'd think that with their sub-air systems and good weather that it should play better and better each day. 

John Crowley

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2020, 12:40:25 AM »
I have enjoyed seeing more of the course without "patron" as well as the drones. Both give new perspectives to the course.

Right!!
I’m really enjoying the unimpeded views of the architecture - the holes in the context of the entire property.

Peter Flory

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2020, 01:06:37 AM »
This is the first tournament that I've watched where I have missed the energy of the crowd.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 01:08:33 AM by Peter Flory »

Peter Flory

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2020, 01:10:19 AM »
I just heard them mention that Bernhard Langer played in his first major with someone (Sarazen) who was born in 1902.  Now Bernhard is playing in a major with someone born in 2002!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back