News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan_Callahan

Narin & Portnoo
« on: August 04, 2019, 03:39:11 PM »
I just got back from an extended tour of northwest Ireland. Co Donegal might be my favorite place on Earth (I probably don't even need that qualifier in there ...), and the combination of incredible beaches, water, golf and mountains made it tough to leave. While there, I played Rosapenna (Sandy Hills), Donegal, Dunfanaghy, Portsalon, Narin & Portnoo, Cruit Island, Strandhill, Enniscrone, Carne, and Connemara (and was lucky enough to meet Tom Doak for a tour of the in-construction St Patrick's, which runs through some of the most incredible dunes I've ever seen).

The surprise of the trip (leaving out Cruit, which defies categorization), was Narin & Portnoo. The day before I went there, I played with a member at Dunfanaghy who gave me a bit of the history of NP. I'm sure people on here know more about the course than I do, but in a nutshell it sounds like it was a great, quirky, fun locals course for a long time. And then several years ago it went into bankruptcy. A few years later it was bought by an Irish guy and an American, who have pumped considerable money into both the clubhouse and the course. Gil Hanse has overseen a redesign/renovation, and much of the work is complete. It's a bit confusing to play right now because the scorecard hasn't been updated, the 11th hole isn't open yet, and I was told eventually the 17th and 18th will be joined to create a long par 5 finish. I heard some displeasure about the increased greens fees, but compared to what I'm used to in America, I didn't think the cost was outrageous.

On the day I played, the weather was overcast at the start and then partially cleared later in the day. There was a steady 25 mph wind (maybe more) ... one of the windiest days of my trip. I thought the course had plenty of width to allow for the ball moving all over the place in the breeze. A couple of items of note:

1. There was a marked difference in length between the front and back 9, and I don't think it has anything to do with the prevailing breeze, which mostly moves across the course. I didn't think the difference was bad, just very noticeable.

2. I loved the par 3s, but it was interesting that they were all very short. Pretty sure there wasn't a single par 3 over 160 yards.

3. Although the 2nd and 3rd holes were sort of cow-pasture bland, overall the property was spectacular, with lots of elevation change and incredible views.

4. The vividness of the golden beach and turquoise water running down the length of the course is distractingly beautiful.

Now to the course:

The opening hole is only 314 yards. I loved it. It played into a strong (very strong) breeze, and after striping a low 2-iron, I had 120 yards in and tried hitting a punch 8-iron that ballooned, hit the front of the green and rolled all the way down the slope. Between the bumps in the fairway, the elevated green with wild contours, and the little creek short of the green I didn't even notice until I got up to it ... all of it was spectacular.

The 2nd hole is a par 5 on the scorecard but was marked as a par 4 when I played it. It's a long, dogleg right with lots of room left to miss, but the left is also protected by bunkers. Try to cut the corner and miss too far right and you're definitely looking at a lost ball.

The first par 5 of the round was at the 3rd, which I found to to be bland and uninteresting. At almost 600 yards, it required two long, straight shots to get the opportunity to have a short iron third. It wasn't really a bad hole, just not all that memorable. And it runs along probably the flattest part of the property.

Things get interesting again at the 4th, a 330-yard par 4 with a big mound heaving up in the middle-right of the fairway. For a view of the green on your approach, you need to hit your tee shot down the left and flirt with the fescue on the hill. I chose the safer route and played out to the right, resulting in a mostly blind second.

I didn't get a picture of the 5th because the foursome ahead of me let me play through. But standing on the tee, it was very difficult to figure out where the hole goes. I didn't want to hold up the group, so I grabbed a 2-iron and hit it in what I assumed was the right direction. As it turned out, the hole makes a hard turn to the left and goes up a steep hill. I hit too much club and went through the fairway into the fescue, leaving about 130 yards up the hill. It would be a fun hole to play a second time.

The 5th hole is where my jaw fell off my face. A stunningly beautiful par three that looks much longer than 140 yards. And there is an awful lot going on in those 140 yards between the tee and the green. At this point, the wind was coming somewhat from behind me. I hit a pitching wedge as high as I could, and it hit the middle of the green, took a huge hop forward, and ran off the back. When I got up to the green, I couldn't believe how huge it was. From the tee it looks tiny. And the view from the green wasn't bad either:

This was easily one of my favorite holes on the trip, and it was followed by a par 4 that had me laughing.

The tee shot on the 7th plays way downhill. It's a short hole at only 325 yards, but the green is mostly invisible from the tee. Knowing it must be tucked on the right (there was really no other place it could be), it was clear you wanted to hit a tee shot down the left. Which I did. And had only about 50 yards in and was still mostly blind because of the crazy mounds. On the other side of a ridge, this appears:

It's a nutty hole that I loved. There's really no margin for error on your approach. Anything that runs off the back of the green funnels off and down to the beach ... which is guarded by barbed wire and an electric fence.

The 8th gets even better. A tee box sitting right on the water faces a huge hill, resulting in a completely blind shot. The photo above is the view from the top of that hill. Obviously, you need to play down the left, which I did not. Enough said. This was probably my second favorite hole on the course.

The 9th is the second par 3, and is only 135 yards. As I played, the wind kept shifting all over the place, and on this tee it was blasting into and from the left. I chipped a 6-iron(!) that started maybe 10-yards left of the green and moved in slow motion back to the right. An enormously fun shot.

Moving onto the back 9, things started to get more challenging. The 9th is a 515-yard par 5 that played into the wind. There is ample width for the tee shot, but the layup gets very tight as the fairway chokes up in the obvious spot to land a second. The third is played back uphill and to the right. Although it isn't an incredibly long par 5, it's hard to imagine going for it in two.

The 11th wasn't open for play, but this is what it looks like. Yet another shorty at 136 yards. Looked cool and was tough to walk past.

At the 12th, you are back into the cow pasture part of the property, but a massive dune staring you in the face on the tee adds a ton of interest. There is lots of room left, but at 478 yards its a looooong par 4 that was playing into the wind, so I thought a line right over the dune was the right choice. It wasn't. The fescue continues past that dune where I thought there would be fairway. When I got to my ball, I also realized that the green was tucked back and to the right, so the only way to have any sort of view was by playing the tee shot out to the left. It's a tough hole.

The 13th continues in the same direction, which meant I was still into the wind. And it was another longish par 4 at 430 yards. Sort of a forgettable hole, but a nice green.

The 14th turns back in the opposite direction and runs right back into the dunes. As you go down the fairway, the walls of fescue on either side seem to grow in height. By the time you get to the green, you are looking at:

I loved this green site. Although the hole is 445 yards, it plays much shorter with the wind at your back. And the second shot into that green is awesome.

The next hole is 14a ... a replacement for the 11th that wasn't open yet. I assumed this one would go away once 11 was in play, but was told it would remain to fill the gap when they combine 17 and 18. Which is great because this hole is a blast with blown out dunes all over the place, and a green that is mostly bind from the tee because it plays uphill. Once again, however, you're looking at a tee shot that I think was only about 120 yards. I love short par 3s, but this was getting somewhat repetitive.

The 15th turns back into the breeze with an incredible view over the beach. At 444 yards, it's challenging as hell and requires a long but precise tee shot.

On the green looking back down the length of the hole was one of my favorite views on the course.

Yet another short par 3 greets you at 16. This one is about 150 yards and plays downhill to a green that falls off precipitously at the back.

When I got to 17, I was excited to see a fairway with the mounds that I first saw on the 1st. At 425 yards, it's not a short hole, but there is tons of room, making for a stress-free tee shot. All those bumps mean your ball could end up anywhere, and I found myself directly behind one with about 150 yards to go, leaving a blind second.

The final hole on the course is pretty average. A medium-length par 4 with no real trouble to speak of, running along flat and uninspiring terrain. I can see why they want to join it with 17. Assuming they aren't going to build an 800-yard par 5, I hope the new hole uses all of 17 and only part of 18, rather than the other way around. That means the green won't sit hard against the clubhouse, but it would ensure the cool fairway movement isn't lost.

Of all the courses I played on this trip, this was the one I would most want to play every day (along with Enniscrone, probably). It is challenging without being a lost-ball magnet. The views are stunning. A few holes have the weird quirkiness I love about North Berwick. And the only negative was the uniformity of the par 3s. And I should say that each par 3 individually was very cool. But collectively I would've preferred more variety.

It's a course I'm looking forward to playing again when all the holes are finished.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:50:49 PM by Dan_Callahan »

mike_malone

Re: Narin & Portnoo
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 04:25:38 PM »
 The views on and between the Donegal courses are unparalleled in my travels. I loved N/P as well.
AKA Mayday

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 04:53:50 PM »
Thanks for the report Dan and the photos showing how things are at N&P these days.
This is what is was like up until the recent alternations - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,54377.0.html - although, as the thread explains, it was previously different in even earlier times.
Atb
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 05:12:49 PM by Thomas Dai »

Mark_F

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 06:12:38 PM »
It certainly looks more spectacular than the course I played in 2012, and whilst much of it looks familiar, there seem to be a few greens with steep hollows covering much of the front that weren't there before, and some of the new green locations look like they have been built for visual impact rather than practicality.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 07:19:55 PM »
I played Rosapenna (Sandy Hills), Donegal, Dunfanaghy, Portsalon, Narin & Portnoo, Cruit Island, Strandhill, Enniscrone, Carne, and Connemara (and was lucky enough to meet Tom Doak for a tour of the in-construction St Patrick's, which runs through some of the most incredible dunes I've ever seen).

Of all the courses I played on this trip, this was the one I would most want to play every day (along with Enniscrone, probably).

For future reference, can you group the others after "N&P and Enniscrone". That is a great review and N&P is now on the next trip agenda. Thanks
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 10:10:53 PM »
I'll give this a shot, but reserve the right to change my mind as I think about it some more. I would order the courses on this trip as follows:

1. Enniscrone: Fun as hell. Huge dunes, but wide fairways so I didn't worry much about lost balls. I also played here on the least windy day of my trip, which helped. Also, Enniscrone was the best conditioned course I played. The greens were in great shape, and the fairways were firm and a joy to hit off. Enniscrone was also one of the few courses that had a driving range (I thing Donegal and Connemara were the only others ... and I think Rosapenna had one across the street).

2. Narin & Portnoo: Not sure it can compete with Enniscrone in terms of overall architectural merit, however it had just the right amount of quirk for my taste. Add to that incomparable views and you've got something special. The lack of variety in the par 3s holds it back, as do a few benign holes on flat terrain (although Enniscrone also has a couple of holes on uninteresting land ... it's tough to be perfect).

3. Carne: The front 9 on the Hacket course is good; the back 9 on Hacket is great. And the Kilmore has the potential to make for an incredible 27 hole layout. Carne had (I believe) the most impressive dunes that I saw. It was also (along with Rosapenna) probably the toughest walk given all of the bumps and rolls in the fairways. But it has plenty of width and I appreciate the restraint in not pushing for long and penal.

4. Rosapenna (Sandy Hills): This was the first course I played on my trip and I loved it. I went out by myself, so there were a number of times I was guessing at lines off the tee. I was playing really well, which probably affects my judgment. This course would suck for a 15+ handicap who can't drive it straight. Narrow fairways and incredibly deep rough could make for a punishing day. But I really liked how the holes weave around the dunes, giving you a feel of complete isolation. A few of the green to tee walks were long, but they didn't bother me.

5. Donegal: This is where I have a tough time ranking, but I would probably put Murvagh here. The course is unnecessarily long ... I think the back three tee options were something like 6,700, 7,000, and 7,500 yards. Par is 73, but still ... it seemed like overkill. Or a marketing ploy. Even so, the course has some beautiful holes.

6. Connemara: This was the farthest south I went on my trip, and the geography was totally different. A much flatter site. Very open. This would be a good course to start with. I thought the first 11 holes were about as easy as it gets. Then at 12 it suddenly gets tough (in a good way). And at 12 you finally hit some elevation changes and a touch of dunes. I think 12 (at almost 450 yards uphill with a somewhat blind tee shot ) and 13 (an incredible 210-yard par 3) may have been the toughest back-to-back holes I played. Outside of the golf, Connemara felt to me like the most resorty of the courses I played (in a bad way). I had a 2:30 tee time on a Wednesday, and when I showed up the rather large parking lot was packed with big SUVs. It felt very American. There were groups on almost every hole I could see. At this point in the trip, my rounds were averaging probably 3 hours, and I had no desire to get hammered with a 5-hour round, so I moved my tee time to 5:00. I know this has nothing to do with the quality of the course, but in terms of overall experience, it had an impact. I fell in love with the understated feel of small parking lots at N&P and Dunfanaghy and understated clubhouses and wasn't prepared for the resort thing. While I really liked the course, I wouldn't go back as a single again.

7. Strandhill: Super fun, quirky course. I played it on a beautiful, still sunny day, which made for incredible scenery but obviously took the teeth out of the course. There a bunch of uninspiring holes, but overall I had a great time there and would go back. If you're staying in Sligo, this would be an great place to spend an afternoon.

8. Portsalon: I expected to like Portsalon more than I did. I played with a guy from Belfast who plays out of Royal County Down. Neither of us played our best, but he was super helpful showing me around. Many of the people I talked to on my trip had high praise for Portsalon. I found it to be very tight and very penal, and there weren't many holes that put a smile on my face. I suppose the tee shot on 2 had that effect, but that was about it.

9. Dunfanaghy: Although I have this ranked last, it isn't a bad course at all. It was probably the easiest of the courses I played. Flat property ... not very long ... very forgiving. The views of the beaches and ocean are amazing. Every person I met there, including the 71-year-old guy I played with, couldn't have been nicer. It was a great course to throw into the middle of my trip as a breather, and the town of Dunfanaghy is a blast, with some of the best pizza I've ever had (shocking, I know ... not what I expected to find in Ireland). If you are in the town, the Rusty Oven is the best. Run by a bunch of surfer kids. The pepperoni pizza was fantastic.

X. Cruit: I'm not going to rank Cruit. It exists outside of any ranking scheme. I've never laughed harder on a golf course than I did at Cruit, starting with the drive to the course, which takes you down an absurdly narrow road. I'll post pictures when I have time, but it opens with a blind tee shot and the quirk never lets up after that. The day I was there was the only rain of my trip ... and it was a driving rain and wind gusting to 40 mph ... to the point that on elevated parts of the course I was getting blown around. I was literally the only one there. I can't possibly judge the architecture because I'm not sure there even is any. It's simply the most incredibly natural, heaving property I've ever seen. There are blind shots, shots over the ocean, shots off of cliffs, forced carries, small greens ... it has everything you could want. Other than the 8th hole, which is a letdown, I loved everything about it. There is no way I would ever travel to Donegal in the future and not find a way to play it at least once. It was funny ... people inevitably asked e where I had played during my trip. And when I would mention Cruit, every single time the person I was talking to would smile and say "that's some experience, eh?"

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 10:23:38 PM by Dan_Callahan »

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 12:15:53 AM »
Glad to see they didn't change Narin and Portnoo too much-though that 600 yard hole is a head scratcher.
They basically combined old 3 (par 3) and 4 (a hole they had moved the green to gain length

The old second was a pretty good par 5-actually made worse by the addition of the left bunkers a few years ago.

New 9 is basically a shorter restoration of what was there before, but it seems to allow for a way to keep 10 as a par 5 so it may play to adifferent place.

Not exactly sure what they did to 14 and 15-they seem to occupy the sameish corridor (that land was part of the expansion that along with the clubhouse renovation pretty much bankrupted them) but the holes were par 5's(now par 4's), which made a stretch of three in a row previously.

The new 5th (the old 6th) is a good hole-it sounds like it didn't change.

I really don't undertstand the change to what is now 7-that hole was epic (I'm a lover of quirk, but man that was an epic hole that needed NOTHING)

Looks closer to the '97 version I first visited in many ways, though and I'm sure it will continue to get better-though 17 is a shame to lose.

Looks like a lot of reasons to go back
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 06:40:37 AM »
Fabulous update.

County Sligo? I am guessing you maybe played it before. If so, where would it fit?

Thanks
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 11:19:36 AM »
I have not played Sligo. I had a tee time there, but it ended up being on the same day I got a chance to tour St. Patrick's with Tom Doak. I figured I can always go back and play Sligo, but seeing the building of a links course in the very early stages was sort of a once in a lifetime opportunity. Ended up being an easy decision.

A friend described Sligo (especially the greens) as being similar to Dornoch. And since Dornoch is my favorite course, I'm guessing I would love it and would place it in that top group with N&P and Enniscrone. However, I was told I would really like Portsalon too, and was unimpressed, so you never know until you actually play it.

Sligo and Ballyliffin were my two big omissions. Didn't have time to wedge them in. Hoping to go back over Thanksgiving.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 01:37:07 AM »
I'll give this a shot, but reserve the right to change my mind as I think about it some more. I would order the courses on this trip as follows:

1. Enniscrone: Fun as hell. Huge dunes, but wide fairways so I didn't worry much about lost balls. I also played here on the least windy day of my trip, which helped. Also, Enniscrone was the best conditioned course I played. The greens were in great shape, and the fairways were firm and a joy to hit off. Enniscrone was also one of the few courses that had a driving range (I thing Donegal and Connemara were the only others ... and I think Rosapenna had one across the street).

2. Narin & Portnoo: Not sure it can compete with Enniscrone in terms of overall architectural merit, however it had just the right amount of quirk for my taste. Add to that incomparable views and you've got something special. The lack of variety in the par 3s holds it back, as do a few benign holes on flat terrain (although Enniscrone also has a couple of holes on uninteresting land ... it's tough to be perfect).

3. Carne: The front 9 on the Hacket course is good; the back 9 on Hacket is great. And the Kilmore has the potential to make for an incredible 27 hole layout. Carne had (I believe) the most impressive dunes that I saw. It was also (along with Rosapenna) probably the toughest walk given all of the bumps and rolls in the fairways. But it has plenty of width and I appreciate the restraint in not pushing for long and penal.

4. Rosapenna (Sandy Hills): This was the first course I played on my trip and I loved it. I went out by myself, so there were a number of times I was guessing at lines off the tee. I was playing really well, which probably affects my judgment. This course would suck for a 15+ handicap who can't drive it straight. Narrow fairways and incredibly deep rough could make for a punishing day. But I really liked how the holes weave around the dunes, giving you a feel of complete isolation. A few of the green to tee walks were long, but they didn't bother me.

5. Donegal: This is where I have a tough time ranking, but I would probably put Murvagh here. The course is unnecessarily long ... I think the back three tee options were something like 6,700, 7,000, and 7,500 yards. Par is 73, but still ... it seemed like overkill. Or a marketing ploy. Even so, the course has some beautiful holes.

6. Connemara: This was the farthest south I went on my trip, and the geography was totally different. A much flatter site. Very open. This would be a good course to start with. I thought the first 11 holes were about as easy as it gets. Then at 12 it suddenly gets tough (in a good way). And at 12 you finally hit some elevation changes and a touch of dunes. I think 12 (at almost 450 yards uphill with a somewhat blind tee shot ) and 13 (an incredible 210-yard par 3) may have been the toughest back-to-back holes I played. Outside of the golf, Connemara felt to me like the most resorty of the courses I played (in a bad way). I had a 2:30 tee time on a Wednesday, and when I showed up the rather large parking lot was packed with big SUVs. It felt very American. There were groups on almost every hole I could see. At this point in the trip, my rounds were averaging probably 3 hours, and I had no desire to get hammered with a 5-hour round, so I moved my tee time to 5:00. I know this has nothing to do with the quality of the course, but in terms of overall experience, it had an impact. I fell in love with the understated feel of small parking lots at N&P and Dunfanaghy and understated clubhouses and wasn't prepared for the resort thing. While I really liked the course, I wouldn't go back as a single again.

7. Strandhill: Super fun, quirky course. I played it on a beautiful, still sunny day, which made for incredible scenery but obviously took the teeth out of the course. There a bunch of uninspiring holes, but overall I had a great time there and would go back. If you're staying in Sligo, this would be an great place to spend an afternoon.

8. Portsalon: I expected to like Portsalon more than I did. I played with a guy from Belfast who plays out of Royal County Down. Neither of us played our best, but he was super helpful showing me around. Many of the people I talked to on my trip had high praise for Portsalon. I found it to be very tight and very penal, and there weren't many holes that put a smile on my face. I suppose the tee shot on 2 had that effect, but that was about it.

9. Dunfanaghy: Although I have this ranked last, it isn't a bad course at all. It was probably the easiest of the courses I played. Flat property ... not very long ... very forgiving. The views of the beaches and ocean are amazing. Every person I met there, including the 71-year-old guy I played with, couldn't have been nicer. It was a great course to throw into the middle of my trip as a breather, and the town of Dunfanaghy is a blast, with some of the best pizza I've ever had (shocking, I know ... not what I expected to find in Ireland). If you are in the town, the Rusty Oven is the best. Run by a bunch of surfer kids. The pepperoni pizza was fantastic.

X. Cruit: I'm not going to rank Cruit. It exists outside of any ranking scheme. I've never laughed harder on a golf course than I did at Cruit, starting with the drive to the course, which takes you down an absurdly narrow road. I'll post pictures when I have time, but it opens with a blind tee shot and the quirk never lets up after that. The day I was there was the only rain of my trip ... and it was a driving rain and wind gusting to 40 mph ... to the point that on elevated parts of the course I was getting blown around. I was literally the only one there. I can't possibly judge the architecture because I'm not sure there even is any. It's simply the most incredibly natural, heaving property I've ever seen. There are blind shots, shots over the ocean, shots off of cliffs, forced carries, small greens ... it has everything you could want. Other than the 8th hole, which is a letdown, I loved everything about it. There is no way I would ever travel to Donegal in the future and not find a way to play it at least once. It was funny ... people inevitably asked e where I had played during my trip. And when I would mention Cruit, every single time the person I was talking to would smile and say "that's some experience, eh?"

My order
1. Strandhill. You cite pedestrian holes, but IMO Enniscrone and Nairn & Portnoo are more pedestrian. Ally will make this a must play if they get approval for his course extensions.

2. Carne. Just plain fun.

3. Portsalon. Great start, great finish, the lengths of the par 3s varies, as do their settings. Played in a gale. 9 iron to 190 year par 3, Driver to 140 yard par 3.

4. Donegal Enjoyable that although not wild dunes, impressed me more overall than the next three.

5. Nairn & Portnoo Pedestrian beginning, pedestrian end, long narrow undistinguished holes in the middle of the back nine.

6. Enniscrone Half a course out of the dunes, and half in, but with long wanders between greens and tees.

7. Dunfanaghy, the king of pedestrian

Others, did not play.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:39:29 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 07:50:46 PM »

My order
1. Strandhill. You cite pedestrian holes, but IMO Enniscrone and Nairn & Portnoo are more pedestrian. Ally will make this a must play if they get approval for his course extensions.

2. Carne. Just plain fun.

3. Portsalon. Great start, great finish, the lengths of the par 3s varies, as do their settings. Played in a gale. 9 iron to 190 year par 3, Driver to 140 yard par 3.

4. Donegal Enjoyable that although not wild dunes, impressed me more overall than the next three.

5. Nairn & Portnoo Pedestrian beginning, pedestrian end, long narrow undistinguished holes in the middle of the back nine.

6. Enniscrone Half a course out of the dunes, and half in, but with long wanders between greens and tees.

7. Dunfanaghy, the king of pedestrian

Others, did not play.

Garland,
First of all I probably agree with your rankings for the most part except for my shameless,  guilty pleasure love for Portsalon
But Dunfanaghy has a great stretch from 6-10 and 16-17 and the "pedestrian" holes are flat, which is a welcome thing on an extended  trip.
Somehow the lows make the highs that much better to me and it has some unexpected highs-esp 8-9 and the green on 16
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

D_Malley

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 04:02:16 PM »
Dan,
We are trying to put together a trip to this same area in the fall, with me and three friends.
Did you stay in one location and make day trips to the golf courses?

We were hoping to find a good town/village which had good dinner and night life and then maybe hire a van service to travel each day to different golf courses. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 02:28:58 PM »
I moved around a bit. I stayed in Dunfanaghy, Donegal, Sligo, Westport and Clifden.

Dunfanaghy is a fun little town of holiday homes with amazing pizza at the Rusty Oven and usually music at Patsy Dan's and a few other places. But I'm not sure how much it empties out at the end of the summer. I assume fall would be more of their off season, but I could be wrong. Anyway, from there you are 25 minutes from the courses at Rosapenna, 45 to Portsalon, and obviously Dunfanaghy Golf Club is right there. A more central spot for those courses (and Ballyliffin) would probably be Letterkenny, but that's much more of a city, and I wanted small coastal towns.

Another good spot is Donegal. From there you have Donegal Golf Club, Narin & Portnoo ... and County Sligo and Strandhill are about an hour drive. And Donegal has a lot going on. Great nightlife.

If you stay in Sligo, that puts you in reach of County Sligo, Strandhill and Enniscrone. And while Sligo is a bigger city, it's kind of awesome and there is Yeats stuff everywhere which was a huge draw for me.

Westport was also an awesome, larger town with a great nightlife. And very quaint. Probably what most people picture when they think about an Irish village. The drives to Enniscrone, Carne and Conemara weren't short, but they weren't awful either.

And Clifden had maybe the best food options (Guys Bar was fantastic) and a good nightlife. I'd go back there in a second.

I guess it all just depends on how badly you want to avoid driving (I love road trips in that part of Ireland) and how many courses you want to play.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 02:43:01 PM by Dan_Callahan »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 02:51:27 PM »
If you’re driving from Carne to Westport or vice versa you’ll most likely drive through Mulranny which has a delightful 9-hole links course. Play it. It’s an absolute gem.
Atb

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 02:57:11 PM »
There is a big music festival in Dunfanaghy in September. Dick Daley attended in 2016.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 09:45:59 PM »
There is a big music festival in Dunfanaghy in September. Dick Daley attended in 2016.
Jerry Kluger and I dropped in as well one evening. It was fun... live music in every pub and restaurant in town. The place was buzzing!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 11:38:17 PM »
I played Connemara in Sept 2015 and toured the south half of Ireland.  It was not busy in lovely weather then.  I loved it and Clifden town and stayed an extra day to play again and great meals. 

It seems your trip was almost the same route many of us took at 2016 Buda Cup.  I won't try to compare or even try ranking them.  They were all a hoot.  Garland and I travelled together for a few days.  It was a windy few days.  I hit 3 wood to one of the 150ish yard par 3s at NP.  And, it ended up pretty close to the pin, IIRC. 😁. Bumped into Jeff W., totally unscheduled coincidence - not part of the Buds.  Jery, Mike and I played Sligo, while I took a breather that day and didn',t do Strandhill, which from the reviews I regret. 

The Dunphangy Jazz festival was crowded but fun.  Got separated from Mike and Jerry in one of the packed music pubs.  But for me, the highlight was after walking Rosapenna with Garland, I returned to town and did the breathtaking hike out to Hornhead in high winds.  Scared witless to get right up to the edge!  (But I did...  with video to show!) 😂😎😋
Played with Garland at Portsalon and thought it was middle of a great pack of those dandies we were playing.  But, we played in a 60mph (100km) gusts announced on radio.  And, the were having a club tournament with one of their best lady players pulling up our rear and she was negotiating the wind spectacularly!  I and still stewing about a ball I thought was dead in middle of FW, but Garland was not too convinced.😂🙄
But, my outlier highlight was also Cruit Island.  Jeff W, made the recom!endation at N&P but Garland didn't go on that wild weather day.  So, I found my way into the narrow road enclave and ran into something of a ladies day.  Again, the radio was announcing 100km/hr gusting winds, AND LADIES WITH GRAY HAIR WERE PLAYING, with intermittent sideways rain!!!😱😱😱  Well, you know I wasn't going to weenie out.  It was perhaps the best decision I made on the trip.  I LUV that place.  I would love one of those homes near the water across the old bridge as you make your way onto the island. 

Now that I can't ever play again,  Ireland and Nebraska sand hills is always on my mind.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 02:10:29 AM »
I played Connemara in Sept 2015 and toured the south half of Ireland.  It was not busy in lovely weather then.  I loved it and Clifden town and stayed an extra day to play again and great meals. 

It seems your trip was almost the same route many of us took at 2016 Buda Cup.  I won't try to compare or even try ranking them.  They were all a hoot.  Garland and I travelled together for a few days.  It was a windy few days.  I hit 3 wood to one of the 150ish yard par 3s at NP.  And, it ended up pretty close to the pin, IIRC. 😁. Bumped into Jeff W., totally unscheduled coincidence - not part of the Buds.  Jery, Mike and I played Sligo, while I took a breather that day and didn',t do Strandhill, which from the reviews I regret. 

The Dunphangy Jazz festival was crowded but fun.  Got separated from Mike and Jerry in one of the packed music pubs.  But for me, the highlight was after walking Rosapenna with Garland, I returned to town and did the breathtaking hike out to Hornhead in high winds.  Scared witless to get right up to the edge!  (But I did...  with video to show!) 😂😎😋
Played with Garland at Portsalon and thought it was middle of a great pack of those dandies we were playing.  But, we played in a 60mph (100km) gusts announced on radio.  And, the were having a club tournament with one of their best lady players pulling up our rear and she was negotiating the wind spectacularly!  I and still stewing about a ball I thought was dead in middle of FW, but Garland was not too convinced.😂🙄
But, my outlier highlight was also Cruit Island.  Jeff W, made the recom!endation at N&P but Garland didn't go on that wild weather day.  So, I found my way into the narrow road enclave and ran into something of a ladies day.  Again, the radio was announcing 100km/hr gusting winds, AND LADIES WITH GRAY HAIR WERE PLAYING, with intermittent sideways rain!!!😱😱😱  Well, you know I wasn't going to weenie out.  It was perhaps the best decision I made on the trip.  I LUV that place.  I would love one of those homes near the water across the old bridge as you make your way onto the island. 

Now that I can't ever play again,  Ireland and Nebraska sand hills is always on my mind.

I call that my Daley (or daily) Euros from Dick trip. Bryan Izatt and Chuck ?? (from Seattle) also got some Daley Euros. ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back