News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

Narin and Portnoo!!!
« on: December 19, 2012, 10:29:54 PM »
Located in a fairly remote part of County Donegal, Narin and Portnoo is a course few here seem to have played.  Jeff Warne called it "Outstanding, wild, scenic, dramatic" in a thread a few years ago.  It is that, and more. About two hours' drive from Sligo, the village itself resembles the set of a post-apocalyptic zombie movie - you drive through a caravan park at the very end of a the barren road to be greeted as warmly in the pro shop as you ever will be.

The first four holes are located on lesser land, but each has something that makes them more than just a walk to the 5th tee, where the fun really starts. They also run in three different directions, a great feature.

1st Hole - 289 Metres.
There's a fair bit going on from the tee, with OB right, a burn cutting in from the right that runs across the fairway some thirty yards or so ahead of a couple of pairs of pot bunkers 180 metres or so from the tee.  It's saved by an outstanding green, with the front left two-thirds like a false front/side, a couple of shallow bowls near a right hand bunker, and a narrow central ridge that rises to a shallow top tier.

2nd Hole - 480 metres
The perfect place for the flat belly to grab a shot, there's a tight drive between bunkers left and water, and an interesting pear-shaped green with the fat side left sloping down toward the narrow stem on the right.  The green is wider than it appears from the fairway, but there is a terrific subtle pocket front right maybe 5 metres from the water's edge. 

3rd Hole - 178 Metres.
From the tee, this appears a fairly innocuous hole.

However, closer inspection reveals a lot more going on.  The green slopes from front to back, there's a slight level section, then it slopes away again both front to back and left to right.  Left is protected by a swale and mound, and there's a burn right.  Downwind or crosswind requires some real artistry to stop it somewhere near the pin.

4th Hole - 416 Metres
Has a similar drive to the 2nd, with bunkers left and water ion the form of a burn right.  The green complex is a little overly manufactured, but it's a tough green, only 31 metres long, with a narrow entrance and enough spines and ridges that means any approach not spot on will be a tough two putt.

5th Hole - 367 Metres
This is where the course really starts to pick up.  The run from 5 to 17, with the exception of 13, is about as good as you could want.  A slight dogleg left, there is a sharp crevice about 240 metres from the tee that provides the option of driving left to a wider section of fairway, but at the expense of a semi-blind approach, or driving right onto a narrower plateau that improves the angle to a green that slopes sharply from back to front, and has a subtle trench in the middle that sort of divides the green into subtle front and back plateaux.

6th Hole - 400 Metres -
A blind right to left dogleg, you need to hit it about 220 metres to safely carry this gaping crater left.

You then hoist a second uphill to another outstanding green.  There's a sharp ridge off a left hand bunker, a central dome that splits the putting surface into a shallow rear tier of sorts, and about another half a dozen bowls and ridges than can feed the ball anywhere.

7th Hole - 130 Metres
A seemingly benign hole from dune to dune, the green has a shallow front tier less than ten yards deep in places that rises to a wider rear plateau.  Given that the hole either plays into or downwind, distance control needs to be spot on.

Not the place to go long.

8th Hole - 311 Metres
Potentially driveable, as it plays sharply downhill.  The fairway narrows alarmingly around 240 metres from the tee, so you would need to be accurate.  Right side of the fairway gives the clearest line in.

In contrast to the previous few greens, this one is more subtle, with a slight front plateau that falls toward the fairway, and a small slope off the right hand mound making it tricky to approach back right pins.

9th Hole - 365 Metres
A fairly subtle hole with several distinct vertical lines of play.  Teeing off over the previous green to an uphill fairway, which plunges over rough ground 200 metres from the tee.

If you can't carry it around 220 metres to get safely over the scrub, laying up short is the best option, but leaves a blind approach off an uphill lie.  Big hitters who can smash it around 255 metres will carry everything onto a flatter portion of fairway and give themselves an ideal line into a green whose narrow front nose falls off right.  The back half of the green slopes both right to left, and left to right, making a flat lie from the fairway even more of a necessity.

10th Hole - 485 Metres
A blind drive to a fairway that is mostly wider than it appears from the tee.  The left hand side gives the best line into the green, but the fairway narrows about 260 metres from the tee.

Deceptively, the green is set further behind the rumpled ground next to the dune than it appears.

The green again is fantastic, with a wicked bowl front left between two bunkers, a crowned ridge middle back, another nasty tongue between the middle and right hand side bunkers, and a few sharp slopes between everything.  I'm not sure who built these greens, but they were clearly a fan of Simpson's 14th green at County Louth.

11th Hole - 180 Metres
On a fairly nothing piece of land, a terrific par three was created by the simplicity of an angled three-tiered green.

What separates the green from others is that it isn't simply building a three tiered green.  Various ridges flow between the various sections, pushing shots away into more trouble. The shallow rear tier has a very tough back pocket behind the last bunker.

The 12th and 13th holes play around the edges of the dunes. 12 has an interesting green with a sort of sunken, sideways horseshoe effect in the front third.  13 is just a way of getting to the 14th tee.

14th Hole -  480 Metres
The second of three consecutive par fives, it's testimony to the quality and interest of the golf that you don't really notice you have only played the single par five to this point and then play three in a row.  You have an offset fairway from the tee.  Near this bunker, the fairway narrows to around 20 yards in width.  Before the bunker, the fairway is appreciably wider, but that of course means a much longer shot going in.

The uphill second generally offers plenty of room for a long second if the big hitter has chosen to take on the fairway bunker, a nice feature.  The green has a steep tier in the back third.

15th Hole - 480 Metres
Just your average tee shot!

Depending upon the wind, these two holes contrast nicely, as one will be easily reachable if bold, the other less so. There's a little more trouble nearer the green, so the long second needs to be spot on.  It's yet another strong green, hidden slightly by a ridge and deep bowl in front, with a couple of ridges feeding off the left hand side that create two great sections.

16th Hole - 110 Metres
Downhill into the wind, this is no place to misjudge distance. A postage stamp-sized green, severe rough short right will gobble up anything, whilst theres a deep dip on the left.  The green has a slight dome right centre which falls away to the left and right, and makes the back section of the green an even harder target.

17th Hole - 377 Metres
If the 5th Hole at Strandhill isn't the lumpiest fairway in Ireland, then the 17th here surely is.

Similar to the 5th at Standhill, there are dozens of places on the fairway where you can see at least a glimpse of the pin, and dozens more where you can't.  The green is a reversed upside down L set behind a ridge. Can't really write much more, because you'd have to play the hole a lot more than once to get a handle on the puzzle.

The 18th is a fairly modest finisher over flattish ground to a good green, but anyone who bemoans the quality of the final hole is a hard marker.  I'm not sure what the summer rate is, but I paid €35, an outrageous bargain considering the quality.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Narin and Portnoo!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »
Thanks. I played N&P about 15 years ago when I took two weeks by myself and did the ring of Ireland. I almost didn't play it because the drive to the club was so off putting. What a surprise. I oly knew it existed and didn't know anything about it but just took a chance.  What a wild untamed ride.  Not a brilliant links but what fun it is for mortals like me.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 05:06:39 AM »
Mark:

Bruce Hepner and I went up there on our trip in 1994, but it was such a crappy day weather-wise that we only walked the course and didn't play.  My over-riding impression of it was that it was spectacular -- BUT several of the greens seemed so small that it wasn't clear whether they could be held with an approach shot, and on some the ground in front precluded any kind of run-up shot.

I think I read somewhere that the course had been modified in the past twenty years, and a couple of the holes in your pictures do not look that familiar ... I did not remember there were three par-5's in a row, for example.  Did anyone identify an architect for you?

Mark_F

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 06:48:14 AM »
I think I read somewhere that the course had been modified in the past twenty years, and a couple of the holes in your pictures do not look that familiar ... I did not remember there were three par-5's in a row, for example.  Did anyone identify an architect for you?

Tom,

According to the course guide, in 2001 the club bought that part of the course owned by Mrs Mary McNells, and the course was then modified in 2004. I think it is 14 and 15 at least that are the new holes.  They have a slightly different feel to them, and the grass on the fairways isn't the same.

The guide also mentions that the redevelopment was designed by Eddie Connaughton, but when I wandered into the pro shop afterwards to make inquiries about this, one of the members scoffed and said it was a contractor who actually did the greens, so I can't be totally accurate as to the genesis of the new greens.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 07:02:41 AM »
It was certainly Eddie that designed those holes.... Not sure where his involvement started and stopped... Although I know he worked alongside a shaper on all of the Arklow greens so don't see whay it would have been different here.

Jim McCann

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 07:26:15 AM »
When I played Narin & Portnoo in June of 2007 (before the old clubhouse was replaced) I was told the three consecutive par fives
on the back nine (two of which were new holes) had just been brought into play so I presumed they had been newly opened that year.

"Links of Heaven," by Richard Phinney and Scott Whitley, mentions "the new holes were in play for a while but Ireland's national planning authority upheld an appeal by an environmental group and ordered an environmental assessment" so they may have been held in reserve for some time.

Regardless, the course as it is now is well worth the extra few miles that it takes to reach it  - and what's not to like about driving along the remote roads of Donegal to discover places like Narin & Portnoo or Cruit Island?

Narin & Portnoo 10th hole
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:43:19 AM by Jim McCann »

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 08:42:27 AM »
I discovered N&P pretty much by accident in 1994. We teed off around 7:00pm on a Saturday night and finished around 10:00pm, just as it was getting dark. I thought it was one of the most scenic courses I have ever played. The view from the first elevated tee (the 5th or 6th hole, I think), where you can see the whole beach & bay and most of the golf course, is spectacular.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 09:06:56 AM »
It's a bit of a shame to see the fences up to stop the salt spray on the greens.... I'm presuming / hoping this is just a winter problem for them?

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 09:19:11 AM »
Thanks for posting those Mark.
I really like the pictures taken in the fall/winter light.
When were you there?
Where else did you go?

It seems every time I sit down to plan the next trip to an unvisited area, someone posts pictures of Donegal and my heart and thoughts go back to another trip there. Nice problem to have I guess....

I first played Narin and Portnoo in the mid 90's.
a bit more rustic then and the clubhouse/proshop /bar was one small room which was just charming enough to delay us about three hours for our afternoon round at Donegal (we were able to make up the time on the fine Irish roads there ;D ;D :o :o-only airborne a couple of times)

The first 9 is essentially the same, although dressed up a bit more.
13 , the first of the par 5's was always there, 14, and 15 are new. (16,17,and 18 are the same so somehow two holes were eliminated from 10-12-and 13 probably was 15) I do remember I think 10 was a par 3 and par was 69.
I'm wondering if a couple of holes ween't simply combined around that stretch.

I always enjoyed 13, the first par 5(perhaps because it was original, but also because it gave one a chance to rear back and give it a rip)14 seems a bit contrived and narrow and 15 is pretty mean in a stiff breeze, but an incredible sight and challenging hole.

I do remember them speaking about the new holes when I was there in the 90's, then finishing them later hearing they were unable to play them.

While I did enjoy the new configuration, I must say a small part of me enjoyed the old intimate feel of the par 69 course, which coupled with the ever present dune hugging caravans, kept the trophy hunters away. The new clubhouse is a bit stark as well.
Over the past few years I had gotten to know the friendly and outgoing professional ,Connor Mallon,a young man with young kids, who tragically died suddenly last year.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:31:12 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 09:37:52 AM »
Mark

Thanks for posting those photos. What a lovely looking golf course. In my one and only trip to Donegal N&P was a one of those courses considered but instead we went for Murvagh which from your pictures looks like we made a mistake.

Niall

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 09:53:47 AM »
Mark

Thanks for posting those photos. What a lovely looking golf course. In my one and only trip to Donegal N&P was a one of those courses considered but instead we went for Murvagh which from your pictures looks like we made a mistake.

Niall

Nial,
Narin is wild and raw, and defies convention, although less so now.
When I first played it  years ago, I played it on the same day as Donegal, and the contrast could not have been greater.
Narin 5800 yards with heaving and winding dunes, Donegal 7000 yards and wide open fairways.
Both courses have changed since then, Donegal for the better I belive, Narin different,still wild, a bit less quirky, longer, but still not long.
I'd take Narin over Donegal 9 out of 10 plays, although I have to say the members at Donegal were as friendly as they come.
Not sure what it means, but I remember more about Donegal from 15 years ago then I do from my recent trip there in 2011.(might just be the stark contrast I experienced the day playing both)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 09:54:20 AM »
Thanks Mark I hugely enjoyed that.   Donegal must be the last place on earth where you can get outstanding value for money playing links Golf. How much did you pay?

It's been a long time since I saw this on GCA.

http://www.golfadventureguides.com/IrelandGolfSat/

Hopefully there’s a Buda coming up in Ireland in 2014.
The idea of playing at Carne and Enniscrone was well received.  I’ve yet to see Strandhill (next to Rosses Point), Donegal,  N&P and  Cruit Island  so I know which direction I’ll be headed in.  The alternative suggestion was to go to Ballyliffen from which one just follows the same roads in the opposite direction.
Let's make GCA grate again!

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 10:16:27 AM »
Not sure what it means, but I remember more about Donegal from 15 years ago then I do from my recent trip there in 2011.(might just be the stark contrast I experienced the day playing both)

Or the fact that we played directly off the flight and drank a gallon of guiness prior to teeing off.

Portsalon
Narin
Cruit
NorthWest
Dunfanaghy

Over, and over, and over again.

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 10:33:14 AM »

Or the fact that we played directly off the flight and drank a gallon of guiness prior to teeing off.

Portsalon
Narin
Cruit
NorthWest
Dunfanaghy

Over, and over, and over again.

Yes, I forgot about the guiness.......
That's a pretty good itinerary you've got there.
I've certainly lost my enthusiasm for Rosapenna over the years, clubhouse feels like a south Florida Toll brothers creation (minus the bars on the windows)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 11:10:58 AM »
According to their website Narin and Portnoo have an open Single Stableford competition every Wednesday. I believe it said 25 Euro to enter. Seems like if one were making a trip to the area, arranging to be free on Wednesday for the walk-up comp would be worth keeping in mind...

D_Malley

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 12:42:46 PM »

Mark_F

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 02:59:39 PM »
But where can we stay? I liked Bellmullet and Sligo was good for a night out but is there any decent town nearby without having to do a long drive where we can have (a) a nice meal night one and (b) a night out night two...

Brian,

I stayed at the Nesbitt Arms in Ardara, which is about 10-15 minutes drive away.  It's a nice place, good rooms about €50 per night with breakfast and good food in the restaurant/bar.  Can't comment on the night out aspect, but if Sligo was good for a night out, I'm guessing you can have a good time anywhere...

Thanks Mark I hugely enjoyed that.   Donegal must be the last place on earth where you can get outstanding value for money playing links Golf. How much did you pay?
No worries Tony.  Narin and Portnoo was only €30 - outstanding value.  I played three other courses in Donegal and they were all around that price.  It's a really nice county, with a lot of great scenery, but the golf courses kind of left me in two minds.  One one hand you want them to stay the way they are so you can have them to yourself :), but on the other you want them to be more successful so the local population benefits.

Thanks for posting those Mark.
I really like the pictures taken in the fall/winter light.
When were you there?
Where else did you go?

No problems Jeff - thanks for all the additional info.  I was there towards the end of November - got pretty lucky with the weather on my trip, since it didn't rain when I played golf, but did every other time... :)  The staff and few members I met along the way were all really friendly - I know Narin and Portnoo is a little out of the way, but it is still amazing that the place isn't crowded with coaches from dawn to dusk during the summer. 

After Narin and Portnoo I played Rosapenna Sandy Hills, Portsalon, Northwest, County Down, County Louth and finished up with Portmarnock - a pretty good mix, I reckon.

It was certainly Eddie that designed those holes.... Not sure where his involvement started and stopped... Although I know he worked alongside a shaper on all of the Arklow greens so don't see whay it would have been different here.
They did a really good job, Ally.  4 and 18 are probably a little overdone, but all of the others work really well.  All of the bowls, ridges, shelves and crowns in the greens seem to flow together between the different elements - the 6th and 10th greens in particular are just mind blowing.

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 03:45:16 PM »
Mark, thank you very much for taking the time to do this tour. This looks like my type of golf course. Short, fun, quirky and cheap! It certainly looks like a more enjoyable alternative to Donegal which left me a bit cold I have to say.

I hope to get up there for a winter break in February time. The plan being to do Narin and Cruit on day one and Dunfanaghy on day two.

But where can we stay? I liked Bellmullet and Sligo was good for a night out but is there any decent town nearby without having to do a long drive where we can have (a) a nice meal night one and (b) a night out night two...

Brian,
After Cruitt, we stayed in Bunbeg/Derrybeg, which is a short drive from Cruitt.
There are restaurants and pubs there.
We arrived late in Bunbeg after an eventful  ;) evening at Cruitt with the members who had escorted/fleeced us, and the only restaurant open was Chinese.
It was a very nice place, and in fact may have been the best meal of the trip.
We stayed at Teach Campbell,the owner was a friend of Donal O'Cellaigh's father.
Of course if you stay there, you have to play Gweedore, which is about 2 minutes away ;D ;D, and take in Donal's bunker work.
I enjoyed it a lot, and even though a couple of inland holes are pretty subtle/pedestrian, at least 2 of those have fantastic greens, that really influence your approaches.
The stretch along the ocean is beautiful, and the 200 wide yard fairways allow you pick your lines to approach the sloped greens and play the wind, which was howling the day we were there.
Or you could go there and think I'm just plain nuts...... ;D ;D ;) ;)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 03:58:15 PM »
Thanks Mark, any pictures of Northwest which also passes under the radar here?  What did you make of Portsalon, a “cracker” in my view. And what order of preference would you have for these three?

Sandy Hills in 2008, playing off 18,  was well outside my comfort zone. But a little perversely I really enjoyed being beaten up in a complete mismatch on what is an amazing site for golf. I have wondered if the softening going on will take away what it was all about leaving…..?

Donegal is the least modernised part of Ireland that I've visited and I understand what you say about wanting it to stay that way.  However with the possibility of a completely new course at Rossapenna being by a name American architect, the floods of tourists from across the Atlantic might start to include Donegal in their itinerary, Rather than just courses south of Clare. 

Mark_F

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 06:08:08 PM »
Thanks Mark, any pictures of Northwest which also passes under the radar here?  What did you make of Portsalon, a “cracker” in my view. And what order of preference would you have for these three?
Tony,

Yes, I do have a few pictures of Northwest.  It's not a course you immediately fall for, but I think a lot about how interesting it is.  I just have to remember what the holes are! then I'll post them up.

I liked Portsalon a lot, despite the first few holes being rather foggy... You'll see when I post a few pics.  I would probably put Narin and Portnoo ahead of it, but really, it's a toss up.  Northwest is clearly the lesser of those three, but still well worth the time to stop in if you are anywhere near that area.  It's fascinating just how well it all works together, despite the loss of huge chunks of land over the years.

Sandy Hills in 2008, playing off 18,  was well outside my comfort zone. But a little perversely I really enjoyed being beaten up in a complete mismatch on what is an amazing site for golf. I have wondered if the softening going on will take away what it was all about leaving…..?
I get what you mean, but I do think Sandy Hills is a huge wasted opportunity.  This image shows up the major problem:

All that gorgeous contour in front of the greens, and 400 yards of flatness leading into it...

Brent Hutto

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 06:08:32 PM »
So to visit the northwest coast from USA, assuming one does not have multiple weeks to do the complete "circuit", what's the direct route like?

Upon arriving at the Dublin airport is it a matter of renting a car and just making a beeline across the middle of Ireland until arriving in Donegal?

Is the interior between Dublin and Donegal pretty much "fly over" country when it comes to golf?

Looks like that drive is a minimum of 4 hours or so, which is much easier to take if broken up with a worthwhile round of golf somewhere along the way.

mike_malone

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 06:12:41 PM »
 We stayed at a B+B which was really just someone's house with a few rooms added on. It was quite rural and near the Donegal Airport. My friend who booked it is very thrifty; his two other buddies who were used to 4 star hotels were mortified!
AKA Mayday

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 06:19:05 PM »
So to visit the northwest coast from USA, assuming one does not have multiple weeks to do the complete "circuit", what's the direct route like?

Upon arriving at the Dublin airport is it a matter of renting a car and just making a beeline across the middle of Ireland until arriving in Donegal?

Is the interior between Dublin and Donegal pretty much "fly over" country when it comes to golf?

Looks like that drive is a minimum of 4 hours or so, which is much easier to take if broken up with a worthwhile round of golf somewhere along the way.

Brent,
If possible from where you are, fly in and out of Belfast for anywhere in Donegal.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 06:28:24 PM »

Brent,
If possible from where you are, fly in and out of Belfast for anywhere in Donegal.

Agree.  The Irish midlands (where I was born) do little scenery wise for me, except Fermanagh and the lakes which you could take in on a trip from Belfast to Rosses Point about 2.5hrs. Then you join the dots around the coast and can take a ferry from Greencastle in the Republic of Ireland which sets you up for another tour in Northern Ireland of Castlerock, Portstewart, Portrush x2 and then the famous Coast Road back to Belfast.  There will be no border checks as it’s all in the EEC.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 03:44:27 AM »
Tony, I did a tour of Northwest on this thread:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49732.0.html

Brent et al,

If the powers that be allow Robin Hiseman and myself to organise a BUDA in Carne & Enniscrone for 2014, then I am happy to put together a week long itinerary that will guarantee exceptional value and follow on to Donegal (including Narin & Portnoo)...

Just something to bear in mind...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back