News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Nearest Course To You Which You Haven't Played.
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »
I am in Worcestershire. 

The closest course I haven't played is 4.2 miles away (12 minutes away)....Welford on Avon GC.  A 2004/09 Hawtree design which is public, £18 to pay and holds no interest for me. 

I think the closest private course is Gay Hill (might be called Hollywood...not sure), 20.8 miles away (35 minutes).  I know very little about the course and have heard nothing to entice me.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:02:03 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Winterfield & Alnmouth

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 01:08:25 PM »
I live in Salt Lake City City Limits:

Closest Public:  Rose Park.
Reason:  Its a Doak 2 at best and the course is in a bit of a hood'. Its about 10 miles away
Designer:  No clue
What would the answer be if you played it your next round? I'm not sure i understand this question.
Nothing stopping me from playing it, other than there are far better courses here in the valley that cost the same and are a safer place to play

Closest Private: Salt Lake Country Club
Reason: No access, but I would love to play it.  I drive by it every day and its less than 2 miles from where I live. It looks like it has some really good holes.
Designer:  Mixed, history is vague on the designer given its age and they had to redesign one of the 9s based on putting I-80.

MCirba

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »
Here you go, Kalen;

I can't believe I played a SLC muni that you haven't!   ;D

Rose Park Golf Course
Salt Lake City, UT   18 6696   72   69.6      109
Mick Riley 1950, William F. Bell 1960, Arthur Jack Snyder 1963
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 01:16:09 PM »
Here you go, Kalen;

I can't believe I played a SLC muni that you haven't!   ;D

Rose Park Golf Course
Salt Lake City, UT   18 6696   72   69.6      109
Mick Riley 1950, William F. Bell 1960, Arthur Jack Snyder 1963

Thanks Mike,

I was hoping you would chime in.  Is my assessment for not playing accurate?  :)

P.S.  There are others in the valley I haven't played either because they look like Doak 1s from the street...

David_Tepper

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 01:17:18 PM »
I live in San Francisco. While Pebble Beach is not exactly close, I have never played. it, mostly because I am just a cheap s.o.b.

Then again, I have traveled to Scotland 29 times and have never played St. Andrews. It's just too far from Dornoch. ;)

Tim Gallant

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 01:17:55 PM »
A quick google search reveals the following:

Closest 'Private': Ravelston GC
Designed: James Braid
Reason: I usually average 1 or 2 rounds a week, and can't justify paying to see a parkland course in the city, when I would rather take a train 10-30minutes to play links golf. In the winter, it is likely to be more saturated, which doesn't appeal. However, I wouldn't be opposed to going after work one evening with a half-set to see a Braid design.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 01:18:30 PM »
I live in San Francisco. While Pebble Beach is not exactly close, I have never played. it, mostly because I am just a cheap s.o.b.

Then again, I have traveled to Scotland 29 times and have never played St. Andrews. It's just too far from Dornoch. ;)

Or North Berwick... :)

Cory Lewis

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 01:22:32 PM »
What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played? Two categories: Public and Private.
Public-Charles T. Myers-13.4 miles away
Private-Raintree Country Club(South)-30.5 miles away
Approximately where do you live?
Charlotte, NC
Why?
Charles T. Myers is a muni and it is very hard to play as a single.  I've called a few times and they didn't have anything for a single and I wasn't willing to drive there and wait and hope.

Raintree(South)- I was going to play it the day I played the North course but it was very crowded and slow and I didn't have time.
Who designed it?
Myers was designed by Bill Love, Raintree South by Russell Breedon
What would the answer be if you played it your next round?
Public-Emerald Lake, Private-Carmel Country Club (North)
What's stopping you?
Of the 3 days I am off every week, I spend 2 playing the club where I belong.  If I don't have anything to do on the 3rd day I will go play one or two courses in the area and I just haven't gotten to these yet.  I probably will this year.
Also, if you've only been in your current location for under two years, how do these answers change with your previous address?
Moving to Charlotte 2 years ago was one of the best things to happen to me from a golf course standpoint because my previous address was Pinehurst, NC. I have played every golf course within 50 miles of Pinehurst.  Charlotte opened up so many options.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:27:07 PM by Cory Lewis »
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Greg Tallman

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »
I suspect this may generate some interesting responses and thoughts.

What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played? Two categories: Public and Private.
Approximately where do you live?
Why?
Who designed it?
What would the answer be if you played it your next round?
What's stopping you?

Also, if you've only been in your current location for under two years, how do these answers change with your previous address?

My answers:

Lake Morton Historic District, Lakeland, FL
Course: Shalamar Creek 2.8 miles away
Ron Garl
It's not particularly on my radar and I consistently forget about it.

Wow! Blast from the past. You're not missing anything there. By and large not much interesting throughout Lakeland. What was the name of the place at the very south end of town still on 98? Used to have chickens running around the "clubhouse".

For me it would be Cabo Real. RTJ2 rework of what was a Joe Finger routing and 9 holes of construction when the switch was made for marketing reasons. Been around it a couple of times and  what is now the back nine is not awful but many better options here in Cabo so it remains the only course in our área I have not played. Well, that and the back nine of Tiger's course at Diamante (actually quit after 9)... stick to the Dunes Course if you can. 

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 01:48:14 PM »
Where I live: San Francisco, CA

Closest public I haven't played: Fleming Nine at Harding Park (9 hole); just haven't been with a group who wanted to play it in addition to the big course, and it's too long of a trek to go there for just 9. Also, Sharp Park (18 hole), designed by some guy named Alister. I know there's history but — and some might say I'm mistaken — my understanding of what exists there currently in terms of layout, conditions, etc. does not make me interested.

Closest private I haven't played: Burlingame (William Watson) or Claremont (another one by that Alister guy). I'd love to play either, just never been asked.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 02:23:37 PM »
I live in Traverse City, MI.

The closest course to me that I haven't played is Gary Player's Wolverine course at the Grand Traverse Resort, about 4 miles by car.We interviewed for that job [with Davis Love, because the owner at the time HAD TO HAVE a Tour pro name involved] but they passed over the local guy; I guess I still hold it against them!  Plus, the course was another nail in High Pointe's coffin.

I'm not sure about the closest private club course I haven't played ... there are not too many up north.  I guess it would be Leland CC, about 40 minutes away; I've walked that but never played it.  Or Elk Rapids CC, which is semi-private ... a nine-hole Donald Ross layout about 15 minutes north of my house.  My crew were actually talking to them about doing some work there last summer, but I don't think anything came of it.

Tom,

I stopped and walked a quick 9 at Elk Rapids CC after walking 18 at Belvedere GC with doublebarkysparky. It would be GREAT if you could breath some life into that little Donald Ross course!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:36:00 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 15 Played:
Stoatin Brae GC (MI), Crystal Downs CC (MI), Diamond Springs GC (MI), Perry Park (KY), Lakota Links (CO), Copper Rock (UT), Little America GC (WY), Erie GC (PA), Skyway (NJ), Ferry Point (NY), The Bridge (NY), Montauk Downs (NY), Totteridge (PA), Hillsboro Elks CC (OH), Smock (IN)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »

This is what I have left to play in Oregon. The most egregious miss is Bayou. I guess because it is only a nine-holer.
I mean to, but never get there. It is private, and its most prominent member won USGA championships and captained the Curtis Cup. I'll probably finish the list this year. There closest WA course, Skamania Lodge is an hour away.

PORTLAND-GREATER METRO
Bayou 9 McMinnville Bayou (9Par3) McMinnvilleEagle Landing 27E Happy Vly
Greenlea 9E BoringMcMenamins-East 10-12Woodburn Senior Estates
Mid Willamette Valley
Aubrey Center9E SalemDallas 9E DallasMeadowlawn 9E Salem
Oak Knoll 18 Independence Pineway 9 Lebanon Salemtowne 9E Salem
EUGENE- COTTAGE GROVE-ROSEBURG
Eagles on the Green 9E EugFiddlers Green (back9)Hidden Valley 9 Cottage GroveLaurelwood 9 EugeneOakway Eugene River Ridge 27E Eugene
Stewart Creek, Roseburg
I-84 Hood River 18 Hood River Total to go: 20

Edit - What a stupid I am. Bayou is public built in 1964. It's architect is William Sander, who coincidentally also designed Orchards Hills, the home course of GCAer Garland B. It is 36.1 miles, and an hour drive, from my home in the SW suburbs of Portland, Oregon.
   As for private courses, it would probably be in Centralia,Olympia or Tacoma, WA - 2 hrs away

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:02:37 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Pat Burke

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 03:24:44 PM »
Public
marine Memorial in Camp Pendleton.  About 10-15 miles as crow flies. May not be actual closest but closest I would like to see
Private
Probably Yorba Linda, don't know tbh

MCirba

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 04:32:20 PM »
Kyle,

Being fairly OCD about this stuff, I'd also mention the following;

A few previously nine hole courses have gone to 18 since I played them but I haven't returned.   They include;

Eagle Rock (16.3 Miles) - Original nine by Arnold Palmer Group, Second unplayed nine by someone from "Double Diamond Resorts"

Willow Brook GC - (16.7 Miles) - Original Nine by Calvin Miller, Second unplayed nine by Jim Blaukovitch

Sawmill GC - (27.4 Miles) - Original Nine by Dick Field, Second unplayed nine by Jim Blaukovitch

A few previously 18 hole courses became 27, but I hadn't returned.

Blue Ridge Trail GC (23.4 mi) - Original 18 by Brian Ault, New unplayed Nine by Dan Schlegel

Wedgewood GC (37 Mi) - Original 18 by William/David Gordon, unplayed nine by Jim Blaukovitch

Finally, Kyle's favorite Mountain Valley went from 18 to 36.

Mountain Valley GC (22.6 Mi.) - Original 18 by Herman Yaducufski based on routing by David Gordon who left the project before construction completed.   Third nine by Dan Schlegel, Fourth nine routed by Dan Schlegel who I believe left the project and it was completed in house.

Also, I've never played the Donald Ross "Hill 9" at Silver Creek CC about 40 or so miles from home, which these days is played as a separate nine even though it was part of the original 18 hole course.

Perhaps more sadly, I still haven't played the "Executive nine" at White Birch GC (designer Ben Godshall) about 30 miles from home.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:41:25 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ben Stephens

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »
The nearest one (5 miles from my house) I have not played and the only one I have not played in Rutland is Kendrew Barracks (formerly RAF Cottesmore) ( hole golf course which has interesting obstacles

The nearest 18 hole course that I have not played is Priors Hall in Corby designed by Fred Hawtree in 1967 - http://www.priorshallgolfclub.com/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:00:13 PM by Ben Stephens »

Doug Wright

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 06:00:26 PM »
I live in Denver, CO.

Nearest Public: Aurora Hills GC, Aurora CO. Designed by Henry Hughes 1969. FYI per the Colorado Golf Association: Henry Hughes was the superintendent at Cherry Hills from 1934-1947.   Hughes designed and supervised the construction of over 40 golf courses from 1949 to 1970. Included in his resume are Columbine Country Club, Meadow Hills Golf Course, Fort Collins Country Club, Old Baldy Golf Club in Wyoming, and others in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Nebraska and Texas.  Why not played? Looks boring, there are tons of other basic public options in town like City Park, Wellshire and Park Hill. I suspect would have played it by now, however, if CommonGround hadn't opened nearby. 

Nearest Private:  Blackstone Country Club, Aurora CO. Designed by Jay Morrish 2007. Why not played? Never heard much about it, don’t know anyone who plays there etc.

Public course I’d want to play in the area for the first time is Colorado National GC (Jay Morrish 2003). Home course of the University of Colorado golf team for what that is worth. Mixed reviews but would like to see for myself sometime.

Private course I’d want to play in the area for the first time is Boulder CC (Press Maxwell, 1963). I know several members but have never gotten there.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:04:24 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »
I live on a mountain in the woods 8 miles outside of Lehighton, PA, where I'm presently adding four foot thick lead walls to my basement in anticipation of the next four years.   :-X

Another course that I have not played is "Ferry Point" in the Bronx. It is not a political statement to date, just too expensive for my taste. However, I would play it with Mike Cirba if you have some sick desire to make yourself crazy :) Maybe we can get Lou Duran to come up for the day!!
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Scott Weersing

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2017, 07:06:51 PM »

Public, Cypress Point Country Club, in Virginia Beach.
[/size]Approximately where do you live? I live in Virginia Beach, VA[/color]
[/size]Why? Hmm, the course is nothing like the famous one as it goes through houses and has no unique holes.
Who designed it? Ault and Clark designed it. Every region has an architect who developed lots of poor courses. In our area it is Ault and Clark. The question we often asks, What is the best Ault and Clark course? We have a hard time coming up with the best one.
What would the answer be if you played it your next round? No thanks,
What's stopping you?  I guess I would play it once just to say I played it once.

I am sure it is in good shape but I do not need to play a boring course through houses with other better course in the area. [/size]

jeffwarne

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2017, 08:46:10 PM »
Rock Hill CC  31.5 miles-44 minutes according to Google maps
Did a wedge fitting there so I was on a couple holes
nearby Pine Hills would be another-45 minutes
Great Rock 53 minutes comes in third

Seems I have an aversion to Rocks and Hills
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2017, 09:31:08 PM »
I've played CT Myers in Charlotte, Cory. When you get there, you'll have a little bit of fun. I recall it is build on a landfill, so stay away from those pipes.

In western New York, the only private club I haven't played is Wanakah. I've coached on it and driven the entire course. I hope to play it soon, as it has been very proactive with its Chris Wilczynski reno/resto.

We have a number of mom 'n pop courses south of Buffalo, but not yet in Pennsylvania. I'd like to get to Eden Valley, Pinehurst, and the others, sooner rather than later.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2017, 10:14:25 PM »
I live in Denver, CO.

Nearest Public: Aurora Hills GC, Aurora CO. Designed by Henry Hughes 1969. FYI per the Colorado Golf Association: Henry Hughes was the superintendent at Cherry Hills from 1934-1947.   Hughes designed and supervised the construction of over 40 golf courses from 1949 to 1970. Included in his resume are Columbine Country Club, Meadow Hills Golf Course, Fort Collins Country Club, Old Baldy Golf Club in Wyoming, and others in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Nebraska and Texas.  Why not played? Looks boring, there are tons of other basic public options in town like City Park, Wellshire and Park Hill. I suspect would have played it by now, however, if CommonGround hadn't opened nearby. 

Nearest Private:  Blackstone Country Club, Aurora CO. Designed by Jay Morrish 2007. Why not played? Never heard much about it, don’t know anyone who plays there etc.

Public course I’d want to play in the area for the first time is Colorado National GC (Jay Morrish 2003). Home course of the University of Colorado golf team for what that is worth. Mixed reviews but would like to see for myself sometime.

Private course I’d want to play in the area for the first time is Boulder CC (Press Maxwell, 1963). I know several members but have never gotten there.

Aurora Hills is pretty awful, but it is where I learned the game and the site of my first birdie and first eagle. The tenth there is an all world WTF hole so if you're into that sort of thing, maybe it's worth checking out.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2017, 10:19:34 PM »
I live in Phoenix, AZ

Public:

Desert Canyon, Fountain Hills. Design by John Allen. It's about 21 miles away. Looks like a reasonable place to play but frankly if I'm driving out to Fountain Hills, I'm playing WeKoPa.

Next closest is Pueblo El Mirage, a "Fuzzy Zoeller" design. Looks utterly awful.

Private:

Paradise Valley CC is just down the road a bit, a Lawrence Hughes design with recent work by C&C. I have no connections for private clubs in general and don't know any members there.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2017, 11:36:18 PM »
I live in Wynnewood, which is a mile from Llanerch CC.  I've played most of the publics, but it appears Olde Masters is the closest I haven't played, mainly because I've heard it's not very good. 

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2017, 12:17:19 AM »
As a San Diego resident there are two Billy Bell courses I'd like to play. On the private side I would love to play La Jolla CC; built by William Park Bell. I did walk it during the SCGA Am and followed some kid named Geiberger. Sure enough his dad was in the gallery and you couldn't have met a nicer man. He said the course was pretty much the same as when he played it in college.

On the public side I've pretty much played everything available in SD County. I have always wanted to play San Clemente GC, exactly an hour away from home. I did try to play there on a Good Friday back in the 90's when golf was super popular and got shut out. This would more than likely be the work of the son William Francis Bell. 

If I understood the question correctly, where next? LACC would be nice, we'll definetly be going to the Walker Cup there this year if I'm in town. Having lived in LA for 8 years I can't think of a muni nearby that would be worth a road trip?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:59:15 AM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2017, 12:44:15 AM »
I live on the south side of Manchester.

I've played pretty well everything in my vicinity; the closest that I haven't is probably Denton Golf Club, five miles from home. A flat, featureless, poorly drained course by all accounts and so holding little appeal, I would have to drive past Reddish Vale to get there!

The more notable local omissions to my golfing CV are on the Lancashire coast, 60-90 minutes away. I've played a lot of the courses there, but not Royals Liverpool, Birkdale,or Lytham.  The reason?  Cost, pure and simple. I'll get round to them one day.

There is no real distinction between public and private golf in this part of the world. Everywhere is open to the public - for a price!

Despite its relative proximity, I've also never played golf in Scotland...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 01:03:39 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back