News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gallant

Re: Nearest Course To You Which You Haven't Played.
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2017, 04:49:43 PM »
I live in Washington DC (actually in the district).  I would divide the courses here into three categories--Private, Public, and Military.  My answers are:

Public:  Falls Road (Potomac, MD).  This is close to my home club and other much better places I can play (private and public), so I've just never had an interest in playing here. 

Carl, you haven't lived until you've sliced one high and wide onto Falls Road :) Generally, it is a miss, but it will have a soft spot in my heart as I played a few High School matches there.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2017, 04:58:51 PM »
Clontarf Golf Club. Designed by Harry Colt and 300 yards away from the house I've lived in for 14 years.

Anyone beat that?

Greg Gilson

« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2017, 05:11:41 PM »
Ally, why not????

Ed Homsey

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2017, 05:21:40 PM »
Midvale Country Club--about 15 miles from my home.  Reported to be RT Jones' first 18 hole course.  I was on the course rating team that rated it a few years ago and found it to be more interesting than I expected.  I just have not gone there even though it is a reciprocal for my home course.  I'll try to make it in the upcoming season.

Greystone GC is a public course perhaps 25 miles away.  Just never had the desire to play it.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2017, 05:48:08 PM »
I don't know if this is the nearest, but it is close by.

Atlanta National

It's a PB Dye course and supposed to be one of the hardest courses in Atlanta.  What's stopping me from playing it?  I have a friend who's a member and I want to play with him, but he belongs to other courses as well...and when he invites me to play, we play his other courses.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Derek Holland

« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2017, 06:49:40 PM »
What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played? Two categories: Public and Private.
Public-Brookview Golf Course (6ish miles)
Private-The Town and Country Club / Midland Hills Country Club / Minikahda Club / Golden Valley G&CC (all about 5 miles)
Approximately where do you live?North Loop in Minneapolis MN
Why?
Public - Brookview is almost always packed and from what I hear a slow round and not much architectual merit.
Private - No access
Who designed it?
Brookview Golf Course - Unknown
The Town and Country Club - Unknown
Midland Hills Country Club - Seth Raynor
Minikahda Club - Willie Watson, Robert Foulis, Tom Bendelow, Donald Ross, Ron Prichard
Golden Valley G&CC - Tillingahst

What would the answer be if you played it your next round? Public - Highland National Golf Course 
Private - One of the other 3

What's stopping you? See why above.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:02:51 PM by Derek Holland »

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2017, 07:00:16 PM »
Currently in Dayton Ohio

Public: Community Golf Club (.6 miles).  For the first time in my life I'm playing more private golf than public.
Private: Moraine (2.2 miles).  Borders my home club.  During their reno they were able to play our course but I don't believe the reverse reciprocal benefit applies.

Also have a house in Pinehurst

Public: #5.  The house is on the course.
Private: CCNC (1.2 miles).

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2017, 07:20:54 PM »
Where do I live:[/size] San Francisco, CA[/color][/size]Public: Lincoln Park - 1.5 miles awayWho designed it? - Not sureWhat's stopping you? - Limited time. My public course play is typically done at Presidio (which I can walk to) or Harding Park (been awhile since I've played it)Private: Claremont CC - 14.7 miles awayWho designed it? - MackenzieWhat's stopping you? - Would love to play it. I don’t think I know any members.[/color]

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2017, 11:44:57 PM »
Live in Colorado Springs.

Closest public I have not played that I probably should: Patty Jewett, the city owned course. Dates to 1903. Everyone says it is a good course. My son played it in high school and HATED it. I will, as Dan Jenkins would say, "Pasadena"

The nearest private I have not played is Cherry Hills, the classic William Flynn. I have a couple of very good connections so I should get it done in 2017. Will be my first Flynn. I had a tee time at Lancaster the summer of 2013 but my Dad was seriously ill and needed to attend to him when I was in town instead of playing. Members at Cherry Hills can only have 18 guests during the year, and no in-state guests at all on the weekend.

Had two different days set up to play CH two years ago in October. It was gorgeous all month except the two days we tried to play. And those days it was 35 degrees. Ugh, life in Colorado.

archie_struthers

« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2017, 07:33:10 AM »
 8)

Neat question !   

I would have to leave southern NJ by ferry to Delaware . Nothing from here to Philly or north past Toms River that I haven't seen .  So I might have Cirba by a few miles  8)  though his travels are more extensive
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:11:59 AM by archie_struthers »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2017, 10:50:57 AM »
Ally, why not? ???

No real idea, Greg.

Time I suppose. Also, for a Harry Colt course, it's not very good. But still, 14 years and only a well hit driver away from the front gate.

Thinking of popping up and trying to join my 12 year old. I'm sure I'll finally play it then.

Jon Adkins

« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2017, 11:59:44 AM »
  I'm in Royal Oak, MI, although I'm fairly new to the area.

What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played?

Public:  Rackham Golf Course (Ross)
Private: Detroit Golf Club (Ross)

Why?

Rackham - I've heard the conditioning and pace of play is poor, and the "Ross" elements have been minimized/removed. Plus, I was busy playing my home course and checking out other reputable courses my first summer here. I'll get out to see it soon enough.

Detroit GC - Got an invite, but haven't made it out there yet.

What would the answer be if you played it your next round?

Public:  Royal Oak Golf Course (9-holer, architect unknown) - No interest in seeing this one.
Private:  Birmingham CC (Bendelow) - Will get out there soon. Photos of Hepner's recent renovation look fantastic.

Also, if you've only been in your current location for under two years, how do these answers change with your previous address?

I lived on the north side of Chicago previously.

Public:  Edgebrook Golf Course (architect unknown) - See John McCarthy's reply in this thread for why not.
Private:  Ridgemoor Country Club (Langford & Moreau) - Never had access.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2017, 03:48:32 PM »
Thornton, CO.

Private: The Ranch CC. My aunt and uncle were once members there, but moved further west and don't play much golf anymore. I've seen a couple holes from the road and I'm not sure I'm missing out on anything special. Has that late 60s/early 70s kind of Trent Jones Lite look to it, and I don't mean in a good way. Without looking it up, I'd guess the architect is one of the Phelps', who seem to be rather prolific at saturating Denver with mediocrity.

Public: Looks like Heritage at Todd Creek,which is Art Hills. There is some irony in it because I've played the other "Heritage at" courses in town which are all further away. Out of those the Hurdzan/Fry out by Jeffco Airport is the best one. For whatever reason I've never been to this particular one, but it's also in the opposite direction from where my usual playing partners live, which may explain why I usually end up in Westminster or Arvada. But I've played enough Arthur Hills courses in Denver already.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:56:04 PM by Matthew Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

JJShanley

« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2017, 04:53:51 PM »
I live in Edinburgh.

Nearest private (in the U.K. sense) is Duddingston GC, a Willie Park design from 1895. It's supposed to be one of the better parkland courses in the city with some interesting holes. I don't know why I've yet to visit it as it's not expensive to play and is all of about four miles from my house.

Nearest private (members and guests only) is The Renaissance Club in East Lothian. Everyone I know that has visited says what an excellent course it is. I believe you can play it as a visitor once if you pony up £250. I will get there eventually,..

I've played Duddingston five-six times.  If I move back to Edinburgh I'd consider joining there.  Home club of Ronnie Shade, back in the day.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2017, 05:44:03 PM »
Mine must be Skibo (since the renovations) which I am unlikely to play unless I get some sort of special deal due to the price.

Jud_T

« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2017, 06:15:05 PM »
Private- Indian Hill Club, Kenilworth, IL.  Probably a short Par 4 from my house.  Tough ticket and I've had little interest, even it is technically a Ross design.

Public- Weber Park Par 3 course, Skokie, IL.  also no interest, what with Canal Shores and the Winnetka Par 3 better and closer to home.

Interesting thread topic nevertheless.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael Graham

« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2017, 03:44:02 AM »
I live in Edinburgh.

Nearest private (in the U.K. sense) is Duddingston GC, a Willie Park design from 1895. It's supposed to be one of the better parkland courses in the city with some interesting holes. I don't know why I've yet to visit it as it's not expensive to play and is all of about four miles from my house.

Nearest private (members and guests only) is The Renaissance Club in East Lothian. Everyone I know that has visited says what an excellent course it is. I believe you can play it as a visitor once if you pony up £250. I will get there eventually,..

I've played Duddingston five-six times.  If I move back to Edinburgh I'd consider joining there.  Home club of Ronnie Shade, back in the day.

I definitely need to go and see Duddingston. I'll add it to my ever expanding list of courses to try and see in 2017. It's all of about 20 minutes door to door from the house so can't use distance as an excuse.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2017, 03:57:28 AM »
Public: The Resort at Pelican Hill (South)
Where do I live? South Orange County, CA
Why haven't I? $310+
Who designed it? Fazio
Next closest? The Resort at Pelican Hill (North) - Same reason

Private: Shady Canyon Golf Club

Why not? No access/never been invited
Who designed it? Fazio
Next closest? Coto de Caza (South) / RTJ Jr. / I played the North several times before South was built. Never been invited out to South.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2017, 04:30:20 PM »
Thornton, CO.

Private: The Ranch CC. My aunt and uncle were once members there, but moved further west and don't play much golf anymore. I've seen a couple holes from the road and I'm not sure I'm missing out on anything special. Has that late 60s/early 70s kind of Trent Jones Lite look to it, and I don't mean in a good way. Without looking it up, I'd guess the architect is one of the Phelps', who seem to be rather prolific at saturating Denver with mediocrity.

Public: Looks like Heritage at Todd Creek,which is Art Hills. There is some irony in it because I've played the other "Heritage at" courses in town which are all further away. Out of those the Hurdzan/Fry out by Jeffco Airport is the best one. For whatever reason I've never been to this particular one, but it's also in the opposite direction from where my usual playing partners live, which may explain why I usually end up in Westminster or Arvada. But I've played enough Arthur Hills courses in Denver already.

Matthew,

Yes, The Ranch is Dick Phelps, and you're really not missing anything.

Todd Creek opened after I left the area so I don't know it, but isn't it just up the road from Riverdale Dunes anyway? I did get a couple rounds at Heritage Westmoor back in the day and agree it's not bad.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2017, 07:30:04 PM »
What's the nearest course to you which you haven't played?

Public: Rockleigh, NJ  Muni  (12 miles from home)
Why? I've heard that rounds take 5+ hours. I'm not a Bergen resident so green fees are not a good value and I have many other options.Who designed it? According to their website "Robert McNeil of The Northeast Golf Company"
Private. Ridgewood CC (15 miles from home)Why? Don't know a member, but I've heard that it's an excellent course, worth checking out if you're anywhere within 15 miles ;) 
Actually, I've walked the course during the Barclays and it lives up to its excellent reputation

Who designed it? A.W. Tillinghast
Approximately where do you live? Rockland County NY (20 miles north of New York City)

What would the answer be if you played it your next round? Tuxedo or Arcola, both approx 17 milesWhat's stopping you? Same reason as Ridgewood

Matthew Rose

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2017, 02:40:17 AM »
Matthew,

Yes, The Ranch is Dick Phelps, and you're really not missing anything.

Todd Creek opened after I left the area so I don't know it, but isn't it just up the road from Riverdale Dunes anyway? I did get a couple rounds at Heritage Westmoor back in the day and agree it's not bad.

Yeah, Todd Creek is about 2-3 miles straight north of the Riverdale Dunes/Knolls complex. As mentioned I don't really go in that direction much. I haven't played Riverdale Knolls either, so I guess that might be about the same distance from me. I have played Riverdale Dunes, though.

The closest course to me is Thorncreek and I have a strong distaste for it.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2017, 04:14:00 AM »
Duh, I just realized I botched my "private course" answer. I've never played El Niguel Country Club (which is much closer to home than Shady Canyon), although if I'd played better in a high school practice, I would've been able to. We had a match vs. Dana Hills, whose home course is El Niguel, but I played poorly in practice and our coach benched me for the match. Still 27+ years later, I've never played there.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2017, 12:44:45 PM »
The nearest one (5 miles from my house) I have not played and the only one I have not played in Rutland is Kendrew Barracks (formerly RAF Cottesmore) ( hole golf course which has interesting obstacles

The nearest 18 hole course that I have not played is Priors Hall in Corby designed by Fred Hawtree in 1967 - http://www.priorshallgolfclub.com/

... is playing through controlled by the tower?

Not these days as no planes fly here anymore as the base was converted from RAF (Royal Air Force) to Army Barracks - it is much quieter in the skies where I live these days even though I miss the Tornados, Harriers and AWACs

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2017, 01:15:03 PM »
I have played most of the public courses in San Diego County with the exception of Rams Hill as it is an hour and a half away from my home but, I will be knocking the course off the list as i am playing it tomorrow morning.

As for the private course, it would be Rancho Santa Fe Country Club which was designed by MAx Behr back in 1927 and the reason I have not played it so far, is due to the lack of access as I do not know any members.

I have heard nothing but great things about the course from the people I know who have played it and hopefully one of these days I will crossing it off the list as well

Mark Kiely

« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2017, 01:34:33 PM »
Frank: I believe guests of The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe have access to RSFGC, if you really want to get out there.

Have fun at Rams Hill! I love it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back