News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: GOLF HOUSE CLUB, ELIE
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2016, 02:26:01 AM »
6 really is difficult to judge.  Even the slightest breeze seems to affect how the ball will react on landing on the downslope, as will the condition of the greens.  it is also a bit of a poster boy for the importance of trajectory.  A high, soft landing ball into a breeze may hold up at the front of the green.  A low flighted ball landing in the same spot in the same breeze may run through the back.  1 is very deceptive but i have learned that it is best approached by running the ball in from short left.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2016, 05:25:11 AM »
Mark

Instead of limiting oneself to a side, wouldn't it be more prudent to fly the 1st green...assuming one can?

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 06:12:15 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Pearce

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2016, 08:09:30 AM »
Into a wind, maybe.  However, a mid-iron, with a breeze helping will likely run through, if the green is reasonably firm.  Remember that the front portion of the green runs away from you.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2016, 05:26:28 AM »
Okay, we had completely different conditions.  Balls were pulling up on the front of the green despite the downhill nature of the shot.  As I say, that was my only beef with Elie, it wasn't very linksy at all...played like a parkland course.  I do wonder if the high holes closer to the house were ever proper links. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Pearce

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2016, 04:49:46 PM »
That sounds unusually soft.

I know what you mean about 1 and 2 but don't really mins as I like both holes a lot.  18 is definitely linksy, if you walk along the path alongside it it's almost pure sand.

Sean_A

Re: GOLF HOUSE CLUB, ELIE New
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2016, 03:54:26 AM »
Mark

Elie definitely didn't express itself as links when I was there...I think the rough was very telling.  Though the greens were fine, just needed to be cut as they were sluggish.  With all those front to back greens a bit of speed wouldn't go amiss. 

However, I would happily return.  Is Elie one of your favourites?

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 01:35:20 AM by Sean_A »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2016, 11:48:05 AM »
I'm always slightly wary of trying to "rate" courses I have an attachment to but yes, Elie would certainly be one of my favourites.  Lots of really fun holes and fun shots, enough challenge, great charm, very few, if any, weak holes.

Sean_A

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2018, 08:27:26 AM »
And return I did!  After the disappointment of the white out in March, I joined three Pests for a game.  The marvelous FBD walked the course, claiming he was too injured to play.  It can sometimes be the case that the initial visit clouds one's vision, but that was certainly not the case regarding Elie.  I liked it as much as two years ago.  See the updated tour.

www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63182.msg1504482.html#msg1504482

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:56:18 PM by Sean_A »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »
Sean,

I’m returning for the first time in 17 years this Sunday. Looking forward to it.

Ally

Ken Moum

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »
And return I did!  After the disappointment of the white out in March, I joined three Pests for a game.  The marvelous FBD walked the course, claiming he was too injured to play.  It can sometimes be the case that the initial visit clouds one's vision, but that was certainly not the case regarding Elie.  I liked as much as two years ago.  See the updated tour.

Ciao

Not so surprisingly, on my second trip there I wasn't as enamored as the first time.  But it was entirely down to my putrid driving that kept me in almost unplayable long grass.... whenever it was within driving distance.

Nevertheless, I love Elie for one of its most endearing properties.  The difference in length between holes of the same par figure. I've said for years that my favorite courses often have ~100 yards difference between the shortest and longest par fives and  par threes, and as least 200 yards variation in the par fours.

With two par threes  of 131 and 214, Elie makes it. 

But among its SIXTEEN par fours there's the 252-yard seventh and the 466-yard 12th.

As a short hitter, I find too many courses of "reasonable" length to offer a procession of par fours in the 350 to 380 range.  And while those are "short" par fours, I end up hitting hybrids and fairway wood to most of them.  Give me 250 and 450 any day over a pair of 350s.....

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Sean_A

« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2018, 06:12:46 AM »
And return I did!  After the disappointment of the white out in March, I joined three Pests for a game.  The marvelous FBD walked the course, claiming he was too injured to play.  It can sometimes be the case that the initial visit clouds one's vision, but that was certainly not the case regarding Elie.  I liked as much as two years ago.  See the updated tour.

Ciao

Not so surprisingly, on my second trip there I wasn't as enamored as the first time.  But it was entirely down to my putrid driving that kept me in almost unplayable long grass.... whenever it was within driving distance.

Nevertheless, I love Elie for one of its most endearing properties.  The difference in length between holes of the same par figure. I've said for years that my favorite courses often have ~100 yards difference between the shortest and longest par fives and  par threes, and as least 200 yards variation in the par fours.

With two par threes  of 131 and 214, Elie makes it. 

But among its SIXTEEN par fours there's the 252-yard seventh and the 466-yard 12th.

As a short hitter, I find too many courses of "reasonable" length to offer a procession of par fours in the 350 to 380 range.  And while those are "short" par fours, I end up hitting hybrids and fairway wood to most of them.  Give me 250 and 450 any day over a pair of 350s.....

K

Ken

Elie could do better on controlling the rough, though generally its alright. 

I tend to agree that a wide spread between yardages within par groups is an enviable trait. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 09:33:08 AM by Sean_A »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2019, 12:12:53 AM »
Elie is hell bent on enforcing their arcane rules. As far as I am concerned, they may be part of the reason there is a thread about Scottish golf being in trouble.

Our luggage did not make it with us to Scotland, and my son wore fashionable stretch denim Jean's on the plane for comfort so he did not have his golfing pants to wear. No matter that half the eight or so lads and gents gathered by the first tee were more shoddy in appearance with their old corduroy pants and such. No excuses accepted, and a shallow lecture on tradition was what we got. So their shop made a sale of one pair of pants, which resulted in them no having a chance to sell four meals, and no prospect of at least two of us returning.

If they had some brains they would know their stupid rule was made for the Levi's of old, and enforce it appropriately.

Too bad I'm not a Twitter user so I can excoriate them there too.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:16:48 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Warren

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2019, 12:44:42 AM »
That’s really good intel, Garland. I am flying north tomorrow morning for a quick golf trip that begins at Elie. I will leave my Metallica t-shirt out of my bag.

Sean_A

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2019, 01:43:45 AM »
Elie is hell bent on enforcing their arcane rules. As far as I am concerned, they may be part of the reason there is a thread about Scottish golf being in trouble.

Our luggage did not make it with us to Scotland, and my son wore fashionable stretch denim Jean's on the plane for comfort so he did not have his golfing pants to wear. No matter that half the eight or so lads and gents gathered by the first tee were more shoddy in appearance with their old corduroy pants and such. No excuses accepted, and a shallow lecture on tradition was what we got. So their shop made a sale of one pair of pants, which resulted in them no having a chance to sell four meals, and no prospect of at least two of us returning.

If they had some brains they would know their stupid rule was made for the Levi's of old, and enforce it appropriately.

Too bad I'm not a Twitter user so I can excoriate them there too.

While I have some sympathy for your situation, I might suggest you are looking at this situation in a skewed light. Everybody thinks they are special and deserve exemptions from rules and sometimes laws. Instead of getting angry at club employees for enforcing club rules , maybe this was a teachable moment. You, a seasoned traveller, might have suggested to your son that should the luggage not arrive and given the circumstances of choosing to play golf at a club with a stringent (and well known) dress  code, that perhaps it is wise to pack certain items in the carry on bag and wear certain items on the plane.

Live and learn.

Ciao

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 01:49:02 AM by Sean_A »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2019, 02:27:42 AM »
No Sean, everyone does not think they are special and deserve exemptions from rules. Suggesting so might just indicate what you think.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2019, 03:01:23 AM »
No Sean, everyone does not think they are special and deserve exemptions from rules. Suggesting so might just indicate what you think.

Ooookaay then. I guess getting angry it is. Lovely course though?

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:03:53 AM by Sean_A »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2019, 03:54:48 AM »

Garland,

it is what it is my friend. Whilst there are many clubs/courses where playing in denim is allowed many do not. It is a rule which the members of the club decide upon and neither club officials nor employees are in a position to make exemptions. A possible solution might have been to where waterproof bottoms if denim was not banned in the clubhouse.

I doubt the people you talked with wanted to upset you or your son nor that the club made their rules with such an intent It is not worth getting too upset about try to enjoy the rest of your trip,

Jon

BHoover

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2019, 07:57:39 AM »
I have found the internet to be a useful resource. Quite often it is possible to read about the course dress code beforehand.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2019, 08:44:53 AM »
You, a seasoned traveller, might have suggested to your son that should the luggage not arrive and given the circumstances of choosing to play golf at a club with a stringent (and well known) dress  code, that perhaps it is wise to pack certain items in the carry on bag and wear certain items on the plane.
Live and learn.

Arrived at Bandon a number of years ago without luggage. Was easy to rent clubs but comfortable size 13 shoes were an issue. When my luggage arrived the following my feet were already quite sore. Fortunatly I have experience with hoof issues and made appropriate orthotics to get through 54,36,54 and 18, But a lesson well learned. Always carry what you require for golf in your carry on.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Rich Goodale

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2019, 09:40:52 AM »
I'm sitting in front of my Florida world, looking at the sturdy knee high socks which I purchased when first playing in the Elie Links Championship back in the day.  They cost me 25 squid, and I was honoured to have played that day with the person who still holds the lowest score of 65 (I believe) for the qualifying for match play.

Please man up guys and gals here who believe that "fashionable stretch denim Jean's" are nothing more than a transatlantic oxymoron......

[/size]Rich[/color]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 02:29:56 PM by Rich Goodale »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2019, 09:58:54 AM »
I'm sitting in front of my Florida world, looking at the sturdy knee high socks which I purchased when first playing in the Elie Links Championship back in the day.  They cost me 25 squid, and I was honoured to have played that day with the person who still holds the lowest score of 65 (I believe) for the qualifying for match play.

Please man up guys and gals here who believe that "fashionable stretch denim Jean's" are nothing more than a transatlantic oxymoron......

Rich

I'm hoping at least one of us will be wearing shorts and socks when the elite band of GCAers play it tomorrow!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

James Brown

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2019, 11:51:34 AM »
What a shame for anyone to divorce themselves from Elie over having to buy pants because you lost our luggage. 

I lost my whole kit with Air Canada for the first two days of a trip to Cabot last summer and was faced with the prospect the first day of buying a rain suit off the rack to play with rentals in a rainstorm.  And now I have 2 rain suits and a great story. 

The thought of traveling so far for destination golf and then getting hamstrung over clothing and equipment is alien to me. 

Fore!

Niall C

« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2019, 12:02:00 PM »
With respect to Garland and others, I think there is a tendency for visitors (both UK and foreign) to forget that in the UK they are generally playing at a members club and not just some pay and play facility. Folk just seem to take access for granted over here when in fact they are privileged to be able to play the course and and enjoy the clubhouse as visitors. If you look at it in that way then I think some would be a bit more respectful of the club rules, which in effect are the rules of the members.

Niall

Bill Crane

« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2019, 01:37:24 PM »
With respect to Garland and others, I think there is a tendency for visitors (both UK and foreign) to forget that in the UK they are generally playing at a members club and not just some pay and play facility. Folk just seem to take access for granted over here when in fact they are privileged to be able to play the course and and enjoy the clubhouse as visitors. If you look at it in that way then I think some would be a bit more respectful of the club rules, which in effect are the rules of the members.

Niall

I think this comment is entirely true.  When we were fortunate to play there I got the impression that there are a number of R & A members for which GHC Elie is a second club.
In the US you would not even be able to play a private club of this caliber without the support of a member or a call from your golf professional - and sometimes even that will not get you on.   
Those type of rules may be traditional and longstanding, but it is their club and they preserve what they want.
Will these type of traditions hold back golf in the UK and the US?
Perhaps, but golf may just not be for everyone.

Daryl David

« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2019, 05:31:21 PM »
What a shame for anyone to divorce themselves from Elie over having to buy pants because you lost our luggage. 

I lost my whole kit with Air Canada for the first two days of a trip to Cabot last summer and was faced with the prospectThe thought of traveling so far for destination golf and then getting hamstrung over clothing and equipment is alien to me. 

Fore!

Two words. Ship Sticks

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back