News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Ying and Yang - Rules for Euros coming to America
« on: August 04, 2015, 12:28:03 PM »
I figured I'd start a thread, for the opposite scenario.....Euros coming to America.

I'll start off the list of dos and don'ts...please feel free to add
1) As previously mentioned, don't go wearing that goofy Union Jack gear....its just as bad as Americans going over there with flags all over their clothes.
2)  For the love of God, please don't start singing the "Ole ole ole" song.  Its bad enough we have to hear it every two years at the Ryder Cup.
3)  Do purchase sunscreen when you get here.  You pasties are going to need it, and be liberal when applying.
4)  Remember to drive on the right side of the road....pun intended!  ;)
5) Leave the Tie and jacket at home, I can't think of anywhere you would possibly need it......
6)  If caught late at night driving around in a big city, use loads of caution...the bad parts of town will suffer no one, even lost overseas visitors.

That's all I can think of for now.  Fortunately Americans aren't as fussy over the little things.....
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:30:25 PM by Kalen Braley »

John Kavanaugh

Re: Ying and Yang - Rules for Euros coming to America
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 12:32:51 PM »
The California Raisins weren't golfers. Don't take time lapsed photography of your swings.

Daryl David

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 12:43:21 PM »
Make sure you religiously record every score from every hole and post every round as fast as you can. Banish any thoughts of playing golf without keeping and recording a medal score.

When playing a private club, please remember that you are a guest and act accordingly. You not a "vistor" that booked a tee time online using PayPal. 

Make sure your group understands the standard flirtations expected of them with the cart girl.

Learn how to stay engaged and focused on the course after 3.5 hours and up through the fifth hour when you will finish.

Make sure you tip often and with largesse as we all know Americans that work in the golf industry don't make a living wage unlike those from overseas.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:48:16 PM by Daryl David »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 01:04:44 PM »
I figured I'd start a thread, for the opposite scenario.....Euros coming to America.

I'll start off the list of dos and don'ts...please feel free to add
1) As previously mentioned, don't go wearing that goofy Union Jack gear....its just as bad as Americans going over there with flags all over their clothes.
2)  For the love of God, please don't start singing the "Ole ole ole" song.  Its bad enough we have to hear it every two years at the Ryder Cup.
3)  Do purchase sunscreen when you get here.  You pasties are going to need it, and be liberal when applying.
4)  Remember to drive on the right side of the road....pun intended!  ;)
5) Leave the Tie and jacket at home, I can't think of anywhere you would possibly need it......
6)  If caught late at night driving around in a big city, use loads of caution...the bad parts of town will suffer no one, even lost overseas visitors.

That's all I can think of for now.  Fortunately Americans aren't as fussy over the little things.....

I think you mean Brits. The rest of Europe drives on the right and is broadly aware of the sun
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 03:46:07 PM »
PS - It gets hot here.  Really hot.  And muggy.   So drink a lot of water before, during, and after play.

Everybody wears shorts except for PGA Professionals.

Nobody cares what type of socks you wear.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 04:09:35 PM »
I think you mean Brits. The rest of Europe drives on the right and is broadly aware of the sun
And Brits, at least of the English sort, are increasing hostile towards their Euro brethren.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 04:14:49 PM »
This isn't true of private clubs in Canada if you venture north - most private clubs, at least in the Toronto area, require ankle or knee socks - calf length are verboten.  Some clubs in Montreal are even stricter and require knee socks.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 05:08:34 PM »
This isn't true of private clubs in Canada if you venture north - most private clubs, at least in the Toronto area, require ankle or knee socks - calf length are verboten.  Some clubs in Montreal are even stricter and require knee socks.

In Toronto, the only course I've ever seen make a fuss about socks is Toronto Golf. Where else?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 05:09:14 PM »
And Brits, at least of the English sort, are increasing hostile towards their Euro brethren.

Hmm, speak for yourself. Tis a bit more complicated than that.
Adam Lawrence

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 05:24:40 PM »
Is it alright to reply?
"Thank you that's most kind and you too, don't have a bad day"
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 07:41:07 PM »
You don't need a jacket and tie for dinner at Pine Valley or Chicago GC any more? Packing will be so much easier in the future.
Cave Nil Vino

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 07:51:38 PM »
You don't need a jacket and tie for dinner at Pine Valley or Chicago GC any more? Packing will be so much easier in the future.

or NGLA for lunch
or a jacket for Garden City Men's

Lots of generalizations on both threads.
Depends entirely where you are playing in both cases.

Would seem a shame to miss out on an impromptu invite to Muirfield or NGLA simply because one didn't have a jacket on hand-that said I've made numerous trips across the pond without a jacket (Donegal etc.) and have taken one with me many times as well.
Same is true here in the states
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

J Sadowsky

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 08:12:36 PM »
Make sure you religiously record every score from every hole and post every round as fast as you can. Banish any thoughts of playing golf without keeping and recording a medal score.

When playing a private club, please remember that you are a guest and act accordingly. You not a "vistor" that booked a tee time online using PayPal. 

Make sure your group understands the standard flirtations expected of them with the cart girl.

Learn how to stay engaged and focused on the course after 3.5 hours and up through the fifth hour when you will finish.

Make sure you tip often and with largesse as we all know Americans that work in the golf industry don't make a living wage unlike those from overseas.  ;)
Please dont sexually harass the cart girl.

JJShanley

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 08:15:07 PM »
As a Brit living in the U.S. now, I wear a jacket while travelling by air because it makes my life easier.  At that stage I might as well bring a tie of some sort.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 08:23:19 PM »
I see socks as being more from the strategic school whilst jackets are more from the penal school of design.....

Coming up next, a van-load of golf nerd books meant to be distributed around the country will accidentally catch fire from a carelessly misplaced cigar torch. That should end the match on one of the finest match play holes ever, even if it sits squarely in the middle of the back nine of a stroke play course, whatever that means. Should be fun to watch, except it will be broadcast on Fox, and we know nothing good can come from that network....

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 08:44:43 PM »
Adam and you forget under Ms Sturgeon many Scots have a passionate dislike for the English.

Kalen why buy sunscreen when golf clubs have buckets of it in the locker room?
Cave Nil Vino

Carl Johnson

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 09:41:38 PM »
Seriously,

(1) Without pull or substantial chutzpa and guile you'll not get on the very "top" American club courses, unlike in UK when anyone can get on Muirfield, etc. on the open days for visitors.

(2)  If you're not an experienced visitor to the new land, take some time to get to know it, for better or worse, apart from golf.

(3)  The USA is a fairly large country, geographically, so I'd recommend not trying to move around much.  Pick a spot and stay there.  E.g., Pinehurst, although other than golf the North Carolina sandhills have only a little other stuff to offer the tourist (so combine with a trip to Myrtle Beach and its courses, to get the full flavor of the USA and its golf and culture).

(4)  The American gun culture, a gift of our Constitution and the Supreme Court's interpretation thereof, is unique among so-called civilized countries and nothing to joke about.  However, by knowing in advance where to venture and where not to venture, you ought to be safe, just as safe as you'd be from terrorists in other parts of the world.

Mark Pavy

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 09:49:01 PM »
Kalen why buy sunscreen when golf clubs have buckets of it in the locker room?

More than likely the parent company of the sunscreen brand is a large pharma company who has set up shop in Dublin. The collected tax is invested in the splendid road network linking Lahinch, Doonbeg, Ballybunion, Tralee, Dooks, Waterville and Old Head for the benefit of the American golfer.  I thought that was pretty obvious.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 11:52:02 PM »
There are probably more formal gardens on golf courses in the US than there are on golf courses in the UK. Go figure.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 04:50:23 AM »
Really? 

Martin Toal

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 04:58:11 AM »
As a non-Brit Euro who has often played in the US, could I also suggest the following rules:

Don't use sarcasm or irony in jokes. The locals won't get it.

Don't say "No, seriously" in response to the answer to your question about what the other guy's handicap (aka index) is.

Try not to play courses with compulsory carts and definitely avoid when it is cart path only. This eliminates much of Orlando golf, which is just as well.

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 05:26:27 AM »
Adam and you forget under Ms Sturgeon many Scots have a passionate dislike for the English.

Mark

In fairness to the SNP, although I'm not sure why I should be fair to them, many Scots had a passionate dislike for the English anyway.  ;)

Niall

J Sadowsky

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 08:58:47 AM »

Mark

In fairness to the SNP, although I'm not sure why I should be fair to them, many Scots had a passionate dislike for the English anyway.  ;)

Niall

It's getting better?

http://america.aljazeera.com/blogs/worldcup/2014/6/11/england-are-now-sobadthatmanyscotswillrootforit.html

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »
Really?
Really.  Otherwise Brexit and the impending referendum wouldn't exist.  I travel to the UK on business about five times a year and this is increasingly a topic of discussion.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 09:36:11 AM »
Wayne, you are talking to British people here. Take it from us, the issue is a lot more complex than you are suggesting.
Adam Lawrence

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back