News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Naval Academy golf course, Annapolis
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 05:00:30 AM »
I hope it happens, but I have my doubts. I have heard about such plans many times.

I was told by the Members that it had already started at the practice area near the first tee:

And Andrew Green speaks:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1RgTVsFo8i/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 07:25:22 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Jim Hoak

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 03:52:22 PM »
Anyone have an update on this?
I understand that the restoration is underway/done?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 04:35:12 PM »
Anyone have an update on this?
I understand that the restoration is underway/done?

There was nothing specific about the course in this article, but they tweaked a bunch of things in the '18-19 NAAA operating budget and the golf course is managed/owned/other by the NAAA:

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy_sports/ac-cs-navy-athletics-budget-20180706-story.html

I was over on that side of the river for a Rugby match in the Fall of '18. I did not play the course, but the Rugby field is right there and I did not see or hear of any additional work other than what I previously posted.

Two more trips are in the books for April and May, so I will update if I see anything.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Jim Hoak

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 07:52:25 PM »
Answer my own question from sources outside GCA--
Most of the money raised--still need a bit more--all private donations, no government money.
Course will shut down this summer--done in one year.
New irrigation and new back tees already in.

Good Flynn and important course.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:05:30 PM by Jim Hoak »

Bill Crane

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2019, 01:22:10 PM »
Can't wait!  Good news on this.

Great to see a W Flynn course get loving and hopefully competent attention.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2019, 08:02:19 PM »
Any idea when? I'm headed there in May for a graduation, and would love to play it before and after.

Hang up and listen.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jim Hoak

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2019, 11:29:22 AM »
My understanding is that the plan is to shut 9 holes in August, and the rest in October, of this year.  Hopefully, reopen May-June of 2020.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:07:57 PM by Jim Hoak »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2019, 06:33:20 PM »
Playing right into my hands!
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2019, 03:47:40 PM »
We had a post-Commisioning BBQ yesterday and we were hosted by accident/coincidence, by a USNA GC member, USNA graduate, and he is very active with Navy Athletics. Andrew Green is confirmed to continue as the renovation architect, and the main work will re-start in August 2019. Andrew Green seems to mainly use Twitter to update his work - https://twitter.com/GreenGCA

It sounded great as the talk is they will "go back to the original William Flynn" holes. USNA GC could leap ahead of a few other Flynns that I have played as I really love the existing back 9, and the front should get better. I look forward to seeing the updated course down the road.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 08:30:16 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2019, 10:40:23 AM »
I had the good fortune to play the USNAGC last weekend with my Cobb's friend Mike Cirba and two GCA lurkers Mark and Pete.  It started out as a lovely day on a Saturday with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms. 

The terrain at the Naval Academy Golf Club is pretty darn good.  Right out of the box is a firm handshake first hole with a 2nd shot to an elevated green.  Then the 2nd is a short par 4 that requires precision, followed by a beautiful par 5.  I knew we would enjoy the course after the opening three holes!

The storm got near us on the 9th where it rained some on us.  We took a break for about 20 minutes before heading back to the 10th tee thinking the storm had skirted the area.  After our drives on the 12th hole a monsoon hit.  That darn storm camped over us longer than Iggles fans tailgating for a 4 PM game vs the Giants.  Thankfully there was a storm shelter down low by the 12th green.  After the storm passed and after we visited a friend of our hosts near the course, we played holes 15 thru 18. 

Andrew Green has begun a renovation of the course and it is just about to hit the meaty stages.

Anyway, I think you'll enjoy the photo album.

Use this link if you have a bigger monitor:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/NavalAcademy/index.html

Otherwise, use this link:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/NavalAcademy/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2019, 11:42:12 AM »
A) It's Andrew Green.

B) Plans are in the pro shop, on public display.

C) It begins this summer.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2019, 07:04:50 AM »
Andrew Green is doing a complete and total renovation of Eisenhower Golf Course now, and it is the public option for Annapolis:
https://www.eisenhowergolf.com/

When they are both done, that is a pretty good combination to tie into a Navy football game weekend.

Thanks Joe for posting, and I forwarded them to some friends. #GoNavy
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:07:13 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2019, 09:13:18 AM »
Both courses were in need of some intensive love and care. Both courses have a good routing and interesting rolling terrain. Neither overwhelm you with length but the green complexes at the Academy are very good with a lot of slope on the greens. I used to play at the Academy four or five times a year when I lived in Annapolis and enjoyed the course. One, seven, eight, ten, twelve, fourteen, and seventeen are standouts.
I played Eisenhower only three or four times but it has a lot of potential. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 10:20:46 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

BHoover

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2019, 09:43:34 AM »
When the courses are complete, play golf and skip the football.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »
Glenn Dale is an interesting option in that area.  Probably 30 mins west of USNA.

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2019, 04:54:18 PM »
Glenn Dale is an interesting option in that area.  Probably 30 mins west of USNA.

Glenn Dale is an interesting option indeed -- designed in the 1950s by George Cobb. Unfortunately, it's closing at year's end, so get there now.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2019, 07:13:04 PM »

Glenn Dale is an interesting option indeed -- designed in the 1950s by George Cobb. Unfortunately, it's closing at year's end, so get there now.

Sounds like a nice road trip to photo-document Glenn Dale!  I hope I can make it work.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bernie Bell

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2019, 08:42:33 PM »
The 19th hole at Glenn Dale (the Black Hole) is unique.  Glenn Dale is probably fewer than 10 miles from University of Maryland course also by Cobb.  I haven't played UMD since it was renovated some time ago by Bill Love. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 08:46:02 PM by Bernie Bell »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2019, 06:55:35 PM »
In the spirit of Jeff Warne's interview with before and after pics, the USNA golf course transformation has been started by Andrew Green:

Joe's #18 from last month:

Andrew's #18 yesterday:

#GoNavy

Scott Rosa

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2019, 10:44:34 PM »
Having played this course countless times as a Midshipman, I always knew there was something special about this course (besides paying $100 a year to play as much as I wanted I believe). Of course, I knew nothing about it's lineage or history.  I have been anxiously awaiting the past couple of days because for some reason I felt somehow the plan would not happen. I look forward to seeing this gem being polished.

Craig Disher

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2019, 01:58:58 AM »
Is the club actually "going back to the original Flynn holes?" That would be a heavy lift. Some of his holes were abandoned and the replacements from what I remember stand out as being obvious replacements (12, 13, and 14 are new holes with 14 playing to Flynn's original 14th green with new bunkers and from a new fairway 90 degrees offset from the original). Flynn's 3rd and 4th are now under the commissary. After seeing the photo of the new 18th green I'm curious how much attention is being given to keeping Flynn's original green surfaces. I believe his greens were never altered.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2019, 06:42:30 AM »
Is the club actually "going back to the original Flynn holes?" That would be a heavy lift. Some of his holes were abandoned and the replacements from what I remember stand out as being obvious replacements (12, 13, and 14 are new holes with 14 playing to Flynn's original 14th green with new bunkers and from a new fairway 90 degrees offset from the original). Flynn's 3rd and 4th are now under the commissary. After seeing the photo of the new 18th green I'm curious how much attention is being given to keeping Flynn's original green surfaces. I believe his greens were never altered.

Craig,

Here is the update:

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/ac-cs-local-golf-report-0818-20190817-ylwxvnzk7nezplzaevmp7l3via-story.html

It is Flynn’s original plans that are being used as a guide for the current restoration. Those holes affected by the government’s need for land in the fifties, numbers 12 through 14, will be reconfigured.

No. 12, which has been a par 4, will become a long par 3 while No. 13 will change from a long par 4 to a double-dogleg par 5 that will measure 570 yards from the back tees, which are used mostly by the collegiate golfers. No. 14 will remain a par 4, but with added distance that could make it a par 5 for the average golfer.

And Andrew Green updates:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1RgTVsFo8i/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 07:26:49 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2019, 07:23:54 PM »
I have never met Andrew Green, and I had a very brief email exchange with him a year or two ago when this renovation was in the concept stage. In the modern world of GCA renovations, he is pretty much adding us onto his crew. Here is his commentary on #18 at USNA, which I thought was the weakest hole on the back 9, but his comments about the "Hog's Back Fairway" made me re-think the hole as I have ALWAYS been left in the rough:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Znr56FWZc/

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2019, 05:42:26 AM »
Comeback Tour in Annapolis by Tom and Wayne:

"Rick Woelfel is a Philadelphia-based writer and frequent GCI contributor. The author wishes to acknowledge the assistance of golf historian Wayne Morrison, the co-author, along with Thomas Paul, of The Nature Faker - William S. Flynn, Golf Course Architect."

https://www.golfcourseindustry.com/article/usna-naval-academy-golf-course-renovation-midshipmen/

#GoNavyBeatArmy

PS - On a separate note Andrew Green looks like he took over the renovation of the Congressional Blue course - https://twitter.com/GreenGCA
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:24:58 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2019, 06:17:26 AM »

#GoNavyBeatArmy

PS - On a separate note Andrew Greene looks like he took over the renovation of the Congressional Blue course - https://twitter.com/GreenGCA

Cool thing about that, is Andy used to work on the maintenance staff at Congo. Was there for the 1997 Open.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back