News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JHoulihan

Architecture Week on Golf Channel Morning Drive
« on: February 05, 2015, 02:34:38 PM »
I had the day off work and was able to catch the interview by Matt Ginella with Mike DeVries.
Just wondering what others thoughts were after watching.
Some quotes by Ginella include DeVries being currently the most underrated designer and The Kingsley Club being the most underrated course in America.

I know this course has been written about here maybe more than any other forum.
Please give your good and bad about the interview and maybe what could have /should have been asked.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Re: Architecture Week on Golf Channel Morning Drive
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 02:45:36 PM »
can anybody find a link to see it now?

Jason Way

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 03:09:35 PM »
can anybody find a link to see it now?

I have links to most of the week's segments here:

http://geekedongolf.com/2015/01/17/gca-on-tv-and-video/

I will have an update to the associated thread here, most likely tomorrow evening.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60350.0.html
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Gary Sato

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 12:23:25 PM »
Was Tom Doak on yesterday or today? Morning Drive was preempted today by Feherty and his interview with Billy Casper.

Jason Way

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 12:37:42 PM »
Was Tom Doak on yesterday or today? Morning Drive was preempted today by Feherty and his interview with Billy Casper.

Tom was on today, along with Geoff Shackelford.  Links will be up in a bit.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 12:38:05 PM »
opps

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 02:57:04 PM »
I really wish that the Golf Channel would give 'Matty G' his own weekly show where all he does is bring in an architect or someone related to architecture or development for a longer talk. These interviews are great, but they are way too short.
H.P.S.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 03:22:48 PM »
I thought Shackelford's choices for best golf architecture books were interesting. No doubt they are 5 of the best, but when Matt G. asked him if one of those books would be a good starting point, I was surprised and a little bummed he didn't select something newer. For the more experienced architectural geek/golf historian, they are terrific books, but they are more difficult to understand than some of the more modern writings because much of the language is different. The first time I read MacKenzie's Golf Architecture I had a lot of trouble understanding what he was getting across just because I was so unfamiliar with the terms he was using (I was also 14 at the time).

His book Grounds for Golf was a great starting point for me. It was incredibly well illustrated and did a good job of using modern terms to coach someone through the basics of architecture. I would imagine that he wouldn't try to self-publicize himself on the show, so perhaps Tom's Anatomy of a Golf Course would have also been a good suggestion, which gets a bit more technical but once again does an incredible job of describing the basic tenants of GCA in modern terms.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 03:28:45 PM »
I thought Shackelford's choices for best golf architecture books were interesting. No doubt they are 5 of the best, but when Matt G. asked him if one of those books would be a good starting point, I was surprised and a little bummed he didn't select something newer. For the more experienced architectural geek/golf historian, they are terrific books, but they are more difficult to understand than some of the more modern writings because much of the language is different. The first time I read MacKenzie's Golf Architecture I had a lot of trouble understanding what he was getting across just because I was so unfamiliar with the terms he was using (I was also 14 at the time).

His book Grounds for Golf was a great starting point for me. It was incredibly well illustrated and did a good job of using modern terms to coach someone through the basics of architecture. I would imagine that he wouldn't try to self-publicize himself on the show, so perhaps Tom's Anatomy of a Golf Course would have also been a good suggestion, which gets a bit more technical but once again does an incredible job of describing the basic tenants of GCA in modern terms.

very good points
the "best" books may not be the best place to start
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Young

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 04:07:25 PM »
I really wish that the Golf Channel would give 'Matty G' his own weekly show where all he does is bring in an architect or someone related to architecture or development for a longer talk. These interviews are great, but they are way too short.

That would be nice but I think we probably need to be satisfied with what they are doing for now.  If they could somehow find enough architecture to tie into travel they might figure a way.  JMO
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jason Way

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 04:22:27 PM »

Amen to that.  I would also add that they need to get him out into the field MUCH more.  If there is one thing I have learned from watching and reading comments from Tom, and the other newer generation of architects, is that that is where the action is.  I'm no TV producer, but I can't imagine that it would be resource-prohibitive to send Matt out to chat and take a stroll on-site with an archie once or twice a month.  There are incredible projects happening all over the world right now.  Somebody should be documenting them.

The lobbying continues...

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 04:46:42 PM »

That would be nice but I think we probably need to be satisfied with what they are doing for now.  If they could somehow find enough architecture to tie into travel they might figure a way.  JMO

Considering all of the pure crap that the rerun most weeknights, I can't imagine it would be too hard to produce a simple architecture show hosted by Matty G. Geez...host it in Orlando (where Matty is based), and tell the architects to come to him. Most would eat up the chance to get on TV for a half an hour and talk about themselves and their courses. What's the other option...another "School of Golf" featuring John Daly?  :-X
H.P.S.

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 04:53:11 PM »

Amen to that.  I would also add that they need to get him out into the field MUCH more.  If there is one thing I have learned from watching and reading comments from Tom, and the other newer generation of architects, is that that is where the action is.  I'm no TV producer, but I can't imagine that it would be resource-prohibitive to send Matt out to chat and take a stroll on-site with an archie once or twice a month.  There are incredible projects happening all over the world right now.  Somebody should be documenting them.

The lobbying continues...

+1 and wasting time busting balls about the Doak zero is a waste of precious time.
The out in the field stuff or even just more pictures/course video seems like a no brainer-for that matter I wouldn't care if the architect simply called in to save resources but let's get off the fake putting green.
TV is a distinct advantage over radio but only if they utilize visuals
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jason Way

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 04:58:36 PM »
Geoff Shackelford did give a shout out to GolfClubAtlas as a good resource for GCA beginners, in addition to the book suggestions.  Until they get a regular show going, at least interested viewers got steered in the right direction.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 08:21:36 PM »
Here is the link to the just-posted "Architect's Week" recap, with embedded videos:

http://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/morning-drive-architects-week-2015-15063.htm

"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 08:02:21 PM »
I had the day off work and was able to catch the interview by Matt Ginella with Mike DeVries.
Just wondering what others thoughts were after watching.
Some quotes by Ginella include DeVries being currently the most underrated designer and The Kingsley Club being the most underrated course in America.

I know this course has been written about here maybe more than any other forum.
Please give your good and bad about the interview and maybe what could have /should have been asked.

Curious about your original query - do you have specific thoughts?

JHoulihan

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 09:59:29 PM »
First thanks to Mike for replying to my original message. My question was brought up because I feel that those outside of this forum may not know alot about you Mike. That was echoed in Ginella's discussion saying when he first played Kingsley that he wanted to know more about you. I was happy about the interview in general. I felt like extra time was spend on your course from Tasmania Australia. I am not upset about that, just think that the international traveler/golfer is by far the minority. The non-member public is by far the majority (including me) and would have liked to know more about options here in the US available to all players.

I grew up in the midwest, and now live in Chicago. My 2015 calender is set to visit one or more of your courses. Talking with you (and all members here) has helped me visit some incredible places. I hope 2015 to be my most fun golfing year to date and hope to be telling stories about you and your courses directly and indirectly/online for years to come! As always, the camera time is never long enough.

I would love to know more about you and your courses both on the forum and directly if possible.

Justin

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back