News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

The full quote is, “However good I am is how good I am. I don’t need to try and be better than I am.”

Thinking only about golf and not the larger ramifications about life, it makes a lot of sense.
How often have I tried to hit shots that are above my skill level? At 76, I try to hit shots I could have hit when I was 40. The failure rate is quite high. However, it is fun to try shots that are above my skill level. Yet, I leave greens once in a while and say, "A mental error caused that bogey." Course management involves asking yourself, "Can I really pull off that shot?"
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

George Pazin

Re: "I don’t need to try and be better than I am.” Max Homa
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 12:25:00 PM »
I often wonder if Tiger had taken a similar approach in, say, 2004, and not tried to "improve" his swing and simply played with the Butch swing, how many majors he'd have. My own suspicion is he'd have passed Jack, but that's just guessing!

Keep swingin', Tommy!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 12:28:31 PM »
I often tell people, when explaining why I love golf, that it is an exercise in acceptance of one’s imperfections.
Building an encyclopedia of golf courses that anyone can edit: Golf Course Wiki
Some strong opinions on golf: Wigs on the Green
I really think golf culture should be more like beer culture than wine culture

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 12:55:32 PM »
“A man’s got to know his limitations.”… Harry Callahan, Magnum Force.
Atb

Mike_Young

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 07:42:28 PM »
I often wonder if Tiger had taken a similar approach in, say, 2004, and not tried to "improve" his swing and simply played with the Butch swing, how many majors he'd have. My own suspicion is he'd have passed Jack, but that's just guessing!

Keep swingin', Tommy!
The appearance of the ProV1 on the scene cost TW more wins than anything he ever did with his swing...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 08:58:16 PM »
I liked that Homa quote, too.

Lest anyone think otherwise, I can attest that Tom Williamsen is still hitting LOTS of solid shots, often moving slightly right to left.  My friends and I don't call him Sweet T for nothing...

WW

ward peyronnin

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 07:55:54 AM »
While I am not exactly a meathead and I beleive I get the general gist some additional context would be nice.
Adopting that logic I never would have learned to hit the knock down shots before playing in the UK that provided so many memorable results.
I would have not adopted a claw putting grip that for a good long while was so effective I would have folks ask if I could demonstrate the basics after a round.
I would not not have entirely broken down my reverse C Johnny Miller swing and rebuilt a one piece core focused move as i reached into my forties that allowed me to sustain a skilled level of play.
And for many of us isn't getting better at parts of this many faceted game one of the motivations to take all the diasappointing times?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Rob Marshall

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 08:30:43 AM »
While I am not exactly a meathead and I beleive I get the general gist some additional context would be nice.
Adopting that logic I never would have learned to hit the knock down shots before playing in the UK that provided so many memorable results.
I would have not adopted a claw putting grip that for a good long while was so effective I would have folks ask if I could demonstrate the basics after a round.
I would not not have entirely broken down my reverse C Johnny Miller swing and rebuilt a one piece core focused move as i reached into my forties that allowed me to sustain a skilled level of play.
And for many of us isn't getting better at parts of this many faceted game one of the motivations to take all the diasappointing times?

I think the context is that he isn't trying to do anything he can't do during the course of a tournament. He's not trying to hit a huge slice if he knows he can't do it. I don't think it means he's not practicing to get better.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 09:23:05 PM »
I knew what I could do and what I couldn't do. I almost never hit a show with less than 80% probability that a could pull it off.

I couldn't hit a fade.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 09:41:03 AM »
I knew what I could do and what I couldn't do. I almost never hit a show with less than 80% probability that a could pull it off.

I couldn't hit a fade.

In my one round playing with Jack Nicklaus at Sebonack, he referred to his approach on 13 as "an 80% shot" and I asked him what % he needed to go for it in his prime. 

He looked at me like I had a screw loose and responded, "100%.  You are not going to hit a good shot 100% of the time, but if you are not 100% sure a good shot will get you there, then you would be crazy to go for it."

Joe Zucker

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2024, 10:40:45 AM »
I really liked a variation of this perspective from Cliff Lee. It was a day before he was going to start a World Series game and he was asked if he was nervous. He said not really. He had been practicing and preparing for this game for 30 years. No amount of worry or additional prep would make him better for the game. 

He accepted what he had in him and did not obsess over minutia that wouldn't make a difference.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2024, 01:51:14 PM »
I really liked a variation of this perspective from Cliff Lee. It was a day before he was going to start a World Series game and he was asked if he was nervous. He said not really. He had been practicing and preparing for this game for 30 years. No amount of worry or additional prep would make him better for the game. 

He accepted what he had in him and did not obsess over minutia that wouldn't make a difference.

The best advice I have ever gotten is that nervousness and excitement are exactly the same bodily reactions, the only difference is in how you define it for yourself.

Jeff Segol

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2024, 04:50:08 PM »
Tiger couldn't keep playing with the Butch Harmon swing, because a big part of it was locking his left knee on the downswing, and the knee couldn't take it, leading to one of his surgeries.

I also liked Max's quote, as a Cal guy, but Scheffler is clearly the best right now. He's in Tiger territory as far as being able to shape his irons in both directions. The way Augusta National played this weekend reminded me of Shinnecock when Goosen won. On grees that hard, you need to be able to curve the approach against the slope of the green in order to stop it, and Scheffler can do that in both directions. It allowed him to go at spots, IMHO, that his pursuers couldn't. I don't think Homa would have caught Scottie regardless, but what happened to him at 12 was one of the worst breaks I've ever seen a player get on that hole, relative to the quality of the shot.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2024, 07:12:42 PM »

The best advice I have ever gotten is that nervousness and excitement are exactly the same bodily reactions, the only difference is in how you define it for yourself.

That is priceless. First time I have ever heard that.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2024, 01:28:18 AM »

I couldn't hit a fade.

In my one round playing with Jack Nicklaus at Sebonack, he referred to his approach on 13 as "an 80% shot" and I asked him what % he needed to go for it in his prime. 

He looked at me like I had a screw loose and responded, "100%.  You are not going to hit a good shot 100% of the time, but if you are not 100% sure a good shot will get you there, then you would be crazy to go for it."

Funny - I remember once talking to Pete Coleman who caddied for Langer in 1985 (and 1993). He was way back on Saturday playing the 13th and decided he had to go for it.
He thinned a 3 wood which Coleman said was always going in the creek. It landed short, skipped over and onto the green and he made a long putt for an eagle.
After that he would go for any marginal shot over water "Even if it was only 40/60 to get over. His short game was mustard so he always had a good shot at making par anyway"
Of 1993 they were standing in the 15th fairway when Chip Beck was laying up.
"Look" he said to Langer - "he's not even trying to beat us."

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2024, 08:03:26 AM »

Funny - I remember once talking to Pete Coleman who caddied for Langer in 1985 (and 1993). He was way back on Saturday playing the 13th and decided he had to go for it.
He thinned a 3 wood which Coleman said was always going in the creek. It landed short, skipped over and onto the green and he made a long putt for an eagle.
After that he would go for any marginal shot over water "Even if it was only 40/60 to get over. His short game was mustard so he always had a good shot at making par anyway"
Of 1993 they were standing in the 15th fairway when Chip Beck was laying up.
"Look" he said to Langer - "he's not even trying to beat us."

That's pretty amazing.  I wonder if he cost himself some tournaments by hitting it in the water?  Those are harder to remember years later.

Tom Watson played like that, too . . . wasn't afraid to take on a hazard because he thought he'd get up and down even if he missed.  But I don't know if he carried that attitude to water hazards!

Michael Moore

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2024, 10:21:01 AM »

The best advice I have ever gotten is that your hands are not going magically stop shaking, you have to learn how to take the club back while they are doing so.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2024, 11:52:24 AM »
I often tell people, when explaining why I love golf, that it is an exercise in acceptance of one’s imperfections.

Mine is - golf is a combination lock and everyday the combination changes.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2024, 05:09:36 PM »

The best advice I have ever gotten is that your hands are not going magically stop shaking, you have to learn how to take the club back while they are doing so.

THAT is the essence of competitive golf.
Well that and learning how to swing it down with the same thing going on....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

mike_beene

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2024, 10:51:38 PM »
I have heard a similar idea: the only people who aren’t nervous are dead. And use the nervous energy to focus.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2024, 09:56:43 PM »
Just watched the below interview with Homa and I think he's really saying he's focusing on himself and not comparing himself to other players and the way they are successful.  He focuses on how he's successful and what he does well and being proud of what he's doing.  Really love the message and something we really need now in the age of social media where people put out their best life that maybe doesn't represent their real life.  As they say comparison is the thief of joy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgrJHuE6kUY

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back