News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: SUNNINGDALE'S CERTAIN SOMETHING: The Old Course
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2012, 02:59:24 PM »
Indeed Bob,

I believe that a good shot should be rewarded and a poor shot punished, which often happens more on the better courses (as opposed to a lot of more open courses with less trouble and less strategic design).

Several gorse bushes have been cut back on the New course which has meant shots that would have been punished are now not. Personally I disagree with this.

But Tom, gorse gets bigger over time, does it not?  If it weren't cut back from time to time, the playing corridors would get narrower, and the golf balls swallowed up more frequently.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 05:09:53 PM »
Indeed Bob,

I believe that a good shot should be rewarded and a poor shot punished, which often happens more on the better courses (as opposed to a lot of more open courses with less trouble and less strategic design).

Several gorse bushes have been cut back on the New course which has meant shots that would have been punished are now not. Personally I disagree with this.

Tom I hope Bob sees this becasue I'm not sure that's what he meant.  Surely on a strategic course good shots get proprotionally rewarded, it's on a penal course where poor shots are always punished?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

Re: SUNNINGDALE'S CERTAIN SOMETHING: The Old Course New
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2012, 03:42:34 AM »
Ben

I played Sunny Old a few weeks ago.  The mowing pattern has never been much of a concern for me though I prefer the up and back split.

Josh

The bunker style doesn't bother me much.  A bit of heather here and there and its sorted.  Loads of heathland bunkers are in truth rather bland.

Paul

Yes, I was expecting more from #11.  Not sure where I read it, but I too thought the green was meant to be big.

AA

For sure #2 is a brute.  Chipping to the green is very difficult to judge.

#11 was okay, but in a soft area of the course.  As Paul mentioned, for some reason I thought the green was going to be much larger.

Brett

I don't know the turf.

Ivan

I am in your camp.  Sunny Old is about as perfect as perfect gets, but I would have preferred more mounding as seen on the first. While quite imaginative in its placement, the bunkering does run a bit wild here and there.

Thanks all for the kind comments.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:52:53 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2016, 12:23:55 PM »
All...see the updated tour.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ryan Coles

Re: SUNNINGDALE'S Certain Something: THE OLD COURSE
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2016, 01:42:08 PM »
Sean

How would you describe the condition and presentation on the Old?

I was shocked in March by the excellent playing surfaces on the new in comparison to the old.

Would be good to get a summer perspective.

Sean_A

Re: SUNNINGDALE'S Certain Something: THE OLD COURSE
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2016, 11:57:30 AM »
Ryan

Sunny Old was in excellent nick.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:10:35 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: SUNNINGDALE'S Certain Something: THE OLD COURSE New
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2017, 05:21:55 AM »
All

While Pests were battling for honour on Monday I escaped home with a detour to Sunningdale.  Sunny Old is as impressive as ever!  See the updated tour.

www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53335.0.html

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 07:31:40 PM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back