News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Links to other pictorials of my Australian exploits:
Barnbougle Dunes
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47613.0.html
Barnbougle Lost Farm
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47929.0.html
Metropolitan
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,50812.0.html
The National- Moonah
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,50449.0.html
The National- Ocean
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49598.0.html
New South Wales
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48698.0.html
Portsea
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49351.0.html
Royal Melbourne - West
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48238.0.html
St. Andrew Beach- Gunnamatta
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48455.0.html
Victoria
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49756.0.html
Woodlands
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48900.0.html

Boasting two courses on the Mornington Peninsula, each built by the design firm of Thomson, Wolveridge and Perrett (now sans Wolveridge), The Moonah Links complex is promoted as “The Home of Australian Golf.” Its construction was concurrent with the Ocean Course at The National Golf Club, another TWP project  just a few miles up the road.  Of the three courses, my Australian compatriots assure me that The Legends Course at Moonah Links turned out the best, though the site it occupies was the least promising for golf.

The Legends course was principally the brainchild of Ross Perrett, and was intended to be a shorter and more forgiving course in comparison to its sibling. While the layout does have a few issues with poor walkability, uninspiring green complexes and some awkward boundary issues, the overall result is still an enjoyable round. Most of the holes are memorable, if not always for good reasons, and visitors would not be amiss in pairing a lap of The Legends with one of the many other enjoyable public golfing options in the neighborhood (St. Andrews Beach, Portsea, The Dunes, etc. etc.)

#1: 487 meters. Par  5. Index  14.

The 1st hole follows the general formula for the course: an ample fairway running through a valley, flamboyant bunkering – the course is built on sand dunes – and a large green with few complexities.

The opening drives is a goodie, with plenty of room left for weaker players. More proficient golfers can fade around or carry the right side trap for a big kick down the hill.

While the presentation of bunkering is attractive, one quickly learns that it is better to be in the sand than the immediately surrounding scrub.

Tee shots that finish high and left may leave longer approaches, but the green is better seen and not so far uphill in comparison with a position further down and to the right.

With front-side bunkering and a hill behind, it is best to take extra club on the upward approach.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:29:31 AM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

James Bennett

Re: Moonah Links - Legends Course: A pictorial!!! (1st hole posted)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:38:13 AM »
and Joe Average can't see anything but sky for his third shot.

So much interest in some aspects of the hole, and complete blindness with no aiming points if you can't clear the dune 100 yards short of the green.  Welcome to Moonah Legends.....
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Kyle Henderson

Re: Moonah Links - Legends Course: A pictorial!!! (2nd hole posted)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »
#2: 304 meters. Par  4.

Despite its gathering nature, the narrow saddle that hosts the beginning of the 2nd fairway offers little visual reassurance.

Once the saddle is crested, players will see that the true landing zone is quite generous in width. Still, there is trouble to be found on both sides of the fairway and careful drive placement may be advantageous with tucked pins. The raised nature of the green will complicate club selection,especially in a stiff breeze, and distance control is at a premium due to bunkers up front and a slope behind.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:22:28 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

Re: Moonah Links - Legends Course: A pictorial!!! (3rd hole posted)
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:20:54 PM »
#3: 162 meters. Par 3.

While the eye tends to be drawn to the sandy wasteland short, right, and below the putting surface, the 3rd green is a very large target with little significant trouble astern. The wind will often be against the player, so clubbing up is a smart play to ensure a birdie putt. Then again, said putt will often be downhill and downwind.

Kyle Henderson

Re: Moonah Links - Legends Course: A pictorial!!! (4th hole posted)
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:15:01 AM »
#4: 340 meters. Par  4.

Though short and played from a very elevated tee to a wide fairway, the 4th tee shot is a bit unsettling. The green is hidden around a bend to the left, beyond a tree-covered hill that will block out approaches after short drives. Bunkers intrude upon what appears to be the ideal left-side tee shot placement.  And most unnervingly, between the elevation change and prevailing tailwind, golfers will have a tough time deciding how much club they can hit without overshooting their target.

The second shot should be a slightly uphill flick o’ the wedge to a bowl-shaped green complex. The putting surface is 28 meters deep, but only 1/3 as wide.

A view across the green from right-to-left illustrates its patent back-to-front slope.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 03:54:51 AM »
Kyle,

You should be the official photographer of GCA! Your photo threads are awesome

I have some pictures of the front nine at the Dunes (by Tony Cashmore) in the Mornington Peninsula - I was wondering if you played there on your trip?

Cheers
Ben

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 01:30:23 PM »
Kyle,

You should be the official photographer of GCA! Your photo threads are awesome

I have some pictures of the front nine at the Dunes (by Tony Cashmore) in the Mornington Peninsula - I was wondering if you played there on your trip?

Cheers
Ben

Thanks, Ben.

I did not make it to the Dunes, as I had the opportunity of a second round at St. Andrews Beach with Sir Elvins, Von Kiser, and the Whit man. We played SAB in the morning , then hopped over to the Moonah Links in the afternoon when these photos were taken.

Kyle Henderson

Re: Moonah Links - Legends Course: A pictorial!!! (5th hole posted)
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 12:30:47 AM »
#5: 154 meters.

The fifth is a drop-shot par 3 played past a small shoulder of earth that obscures views of the starboard green surroundings.

A short stroll yields a better look at the target area. As it turns out, nothing too sinister awaits shots that come up a bit short or left of the putting surface, but skillful wedge play from a tight lie (a la Sir Elvins) will come in handy.

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 01:20:19 AM »
These photos are giving me an understanding of why lots of punters seem to quite like the course, but the architecture snobs don't rate it that highly. Looks like a fair bit of fun.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 01:57:25 AM »
These photos are giving me an understanding of why lots of punters seem to quite like the course, but the architecture snobs don't rate it that highly. Looks like a fair bit of fun.

If the greens and their surrounds were more compelling, this course could rate much more highly with the snobs. But, as you'll see, a few holes on the back nine are squeezed in by boundary lines. The "solution" that led to the 15th hole is very unsatisfying.

Still, it would be one of the best public courses in most American golfing markets.

Kyle Henderson

Re: Moonah Links - Legends Course: A pictorial!!! (6th hole posted)
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 03:06:05 AM »
#6: 501 meters. Par  5.

As at the 2nd, here players face a skinny fairway pinched through a saddle just below the teeing grounds, but the true landing area is a wider swathe of turf beyond. Drives that hug the left side will shorten the hole.

A solid drive will trundle up near the second port-side bunker and bring the green within range.

This set of scruffy spectacles placed ~ 50 meters short of the green favors a right-to-left approach for those unable to make the carry. The 6th green is connected to the 8th (further left), adding a bit of danger to an otherwise uneventful putting experience – a mediocre end to an enjoyable tee-to-green adventure that deserves better.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:08:02 AM by Kyle Henderson »

James Bennett

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 03:32:01 AM »
#6: 501 meters. Par  5.

This set of scruffy spectacles placed ~ 50 meters short of the green favors a right-to-left approach for those unable to make the carry. The 6th green is connected to the 8th (further left), adding a bit of danger to an otherwise uneventful putting experience – a mediocre end to an enjoyable tee-to-green adventure that deserves better.

well said Kyle - my exact sentiment on this hole.  I think I chose to putt from 40 metres away, just for some interest.  The last 40 metres is so flat after a bit of a rollercoaster for the previous 400+ metres.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Joe Byrnes

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 08:51:01 PM »
Kyle,

I'm a brand new GCA'er (I think that's the correct term!). Thanks for the time and effort to post all of these wonderful reviews and photos. The Mornington Peninsula is one of my favourite golfing destinations with the wide variety of courses on offer. I can't wait for the next 10 days to pass before I get back down there.

It's a real shame you didn't get to play the Old course at the National...there certainly are better courses down the architecturally speaking, but it is so just fun to play.

JB

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 01:36:03 AM »
My pleasure, JB.

The Mornington Peninsula is a lovely locale. If I ever amass a great fortune, I'd love to have a (northern hemisphere's) winter home there.
 Enjoy your trip, compatriot.

Kyle Henderson

Re: Moonah Links - Legends Course: A pictorial!!! (7th hole posted)
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 02:37:06 AM »
#7: 362 meters. Par 4.

The 7th tee shot is a tad intimidating for those struggling from the peg, but a clean strike over the starboard bunker (162 meters to carry) should find the fairway beyond.

A mid-iron iron up the hill to a green benched into the hillside should lead to a routine 4. Beware  short misses and pins placed in the shallow left portion of the green.

Kyle Henderson

Re: Moonah Links - Legends Course: A pictorial!!! (8th hole posted)
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 02:20:45 AM »
#8: 414 meters. Par  4.

The bunkering scheme works very well at the 8th, both visually and strategically.
\

Laying back to no more than 230 meters from the tee will take the bunkers out of play but leave an approach of 180 meters or more. Longer tee shots must be progressively more accurate to find the short grass.

This bunker placed centered 60 meters from the green (with scale provided by Sir Elvins), nicely complicates second shots for players that find themselves out of position.  As mentioned before, the shared green (with the 6th) fails to bring this hole’s high potential to fruition.

Kyle Henderson

Re: Moonah Links - Legends Course: A pictorial!!! (9th hole posted)
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 01:59:56 AM »
#9: 495 meters. Par 5.

While the final outward hole might be a bit over-bunkered to starboard, the shaping of these traps is attractive and proportional. Also, the fairway is pleasantly rumpled to separate the great players from merely good ones reaching for the green in two. There is little to say about strategy. Hit it long and straight down the middle.

An upward finish stretches the length of this hole. The green complex fits the land well, though the preponderance of putting surfaces set in hillside bowls might rob the course of some needed variety.

Kyle Henderson

Re: Moonah Links - Legends Course: A pictorial!!! (10th hole posted)
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 01:20:33 AM »
#10: 177 meters.

Perched above its surroundings, the oval-shaped 10th green is surrounded by short grass, with just one small bunker guarding its right/front corner. The dramatic hazards dominating the view from the tee are set well short of the target and should not come into play.

Kyle Henderson

Re: Moonah Links - Legends Course: A pictorial!!! (11th hole posted)
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 09:54:36 PM »
#11: 272 meters. Par  4.

Squeezed through a small gap next to the property line, the choice to build a short par 4 seems prudent enough. The result is not anything near the best hole of its genre in Victoria (that honor is contested by Royal Melbourne West’s 10thand St. Andrews Beach’s 2nd), but the hole does have some merit. It’s more than a simple connector hole.

Upon closer inspection, the day’s flag location seems tantalizingly reachable past the starboard hillock.

Yet, the hint of a bunker on line with the flag suggests the need for a mighty carry to reach the green safely from the tee.

Dave and I went wildly to the right, but we managed to recover from the jungle.

I imagine most players simply hit a long-iron followed by a wedge. This is a pity, as a genuine choice here would be delightful for match play. Many of the best golf holes around the world were conceived to address seemingly detrimental routing obstacles, but this particular offering doesn’t quite match its potential.

Kyle Henderson

Re: Moonah Links - Legends Course: A pictorial!!! (12th hole posted)
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 04:57:45 PM »
#12: 491 meters. Par  5.

Flowing through another shallow valley, the 12th looks as if it was created with little more than a lawn mower and shovels.

From the back tees, bunkers pinch the fairway around 270 meters out, leaving another 220 meters or so to reach home.

The second half of the journey climbs slowly uphill. On the horizon, bunkers encroach on both sides ~80 meters short of the bunker-less green.

With little more than a few minor humps and hollows, most of which are concentrated at the left/front, the “dozenth” green would be an inviting target (even from a long range) were it not approached blindly (not the directional marker behind).

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:00:19 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 11:28:19 PM »
Kyle - another great tour. And great images accompaying. Many thanks.

Moonah Links Legends reaches some high highs, but some low lows.

I think 4 is simply terrible, 7 thru 10 an up and back routing squeezed into land too tight for that many holes, 6 green a little too flat, and without wanting to preempt anything, 16 to be a gymick at best.

I love 12, think the starting three is good, and enjoy much of the course in other parts.

Some rate it very highly, but I cannot find a place for it in the top 30 in the land.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 12:27:55 AM »
Kyle - another great tour. And great images accompaying. Many thanks.

Moonah Links Legends reaches some high highs, but some low lows.

I think 4 is simply terrible, 7 thru 10 an up and back routing squeezed into land too tight for that many holes, 6 green a little too flat, and without wanting to preempt anything, 16 to be a gymick at best.

I love 12, think the starting three is good, and enjoy much of the course in other parts.

Some rate it very highly, but I cannot find a place for it in the top 30 in the land.

MM

4 seemed like it might grow old after very few rounds, but it was hard to tell based on the one play.

7-10 didn't seem overly cramped, but certainly they are somewhat forgettable. I believe 15 is the gimicky hole of which you write. 16 is a simple, blah par 3.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 01:58:28 AM »
Kyle - 15 is simply a terrible hole. 16 with the massive green is the gymick, at least in my eyes.

I didn't want to address 15 just yet, and will wait until you come to it to fully address it.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Kyle Henderson

Re: Moonah Links - Legends Course: A pictorial!!! (13th hole posted)
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »
#13: 420 meters. Par  4.

The 13th funnels through yet another small valley to another bunker-free green.

Like the 12th, this hole sits very naturally on the land, aside from a small scrape down the left to accommodate a cart path.

Viewed from the left, the 13th green occupies a suitable site and features some modestly interesting contours, but there are no features to suggest any sort of tee-to-green strategy. It’s a forgettable hole, but the countryside is comely.

Matthew Mollica

Re: Moonah Links - Legends Course: A pictorial!!! (13th hole posted)
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 05:07:07 PM »
I beg to differ Kyle - I think you're selling 13 a little short. A cool greensite, nestled within dunes, it feels like a little punchbowl, but doesn't play like one. The shaping is OK, but really rewards drives to the left of the fairway. Such a tee shot gives this look on approach-

while bailing right on the drive yields this approach-

MM

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back