News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Links to other pictorials of my Australian exploits:
Barnbougle Dunes
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47613.0.html
Barnbougle Lost Farm
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47929.0.html
Royal Melbourne - West
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48238.0.html
St. Andrew Beach- Gunnamatta
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48455.0.html
New South Wales
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48698.0.html
Woodlands
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48900.0.html
Portsea
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49351.0.html

Among many dozens of treasured memories from Australia, some of the most fulfilling came during an engaging day spent with three fine gents at the humbly-named “The National Golf Club” in the ironically-named “Cape Schanck” region of the Mornington Peninsula. After a morning round on the excellent “Moonah Course” we enjoyed lunch in the overstated clubhouse before making an afternoon lap of “The Ocean” – the club’s 3rd course (“The Old”) was closed for maintenance.

The conversation during lunch was quite unlike any other I’ve experienced, with my host offering a slew of criticisms at The Ocean Course’s many perceived flaws and the unfathomable popularity of the course – it receives the most play of the 3 from the 750 members and their guests . He then took a short bathroom break, during which time the two other guests assured me the course was much better than my host was indicating. Eventually, said host returned to the table, and after a few more barbs he acquiesced by saying, “Well, I don’t want to force my opinion on you. We’ll see what you think.”

To the 1st tee then.

The Ocean Course (dare I refer to it as “TOC”) was designed by the much maligned (at least by those I met Down Under) team of Thompson, Wolveridge and Perrett and constructed concurrently with its sibling (The Moonah Course), subsequent to a large land purchase by the club in 1996. At the time, the design team was also working on the “Open” and “Legends” courses at the fledgling Moonah Links golf complex and, if memory serves, it was Wolveridge that was primarily involved with the design at TOC.

The opening hole (par 5, 496 meters) features an elevated tee, from which golfers enjoy long views over a protected strip of coastline to the Bass Straight, interrupted only by the unsightly form of my ostentatious headwear.

Casting an eye to the field of play, the fine qualities of the site are readily apparent, with rolling sand dunes, golden grasses and native trees stretching inland for miles. For the first tee shot, a central bunker (an underutilized feature in The States, IMHO) separates  the right upper fairway from the lower left in the landing zone. Sadly, this arrangement presents little strategic value as the lower fairway is easier to find and offers the better angle of approach.

Further on, a scrubby sand mound narrows the fairway in from the right at around 100 meters from the green’s center. Finally, a series of bunkers set 20-50 meters short of the green are set to ensnare running approaches.

What to think then? My host suggests the hole is a microcosm of the course, with fine visual qualities but little strategic value – a “Dumb Blond” if you will. This began our game of describing our preferred re-bunkering schemes between shots, though he quickly reminded me to guard my judgment from being colored by his complaints.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:21:09 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Mark Saltzman

Kevin Pallier

The conversation during lunch was quite unlike any other I’ve experienced, with my host offering a slew of criticisms at The Ocean Course’s many perceived flaws and the unfathomable popularity of the course – it receives the most play of the 3 from the 750 members and their guests . He then took a short bathroom break, during which time the two other guests assured me the course was much better than my host was indicating. Eventually, said host returned to the table, and after a few more barbs he acquiesced by saying, “Well, I don’t want to force my opinion on you. We’ll see what you think.”

If I am thinking about the same member - the conversation and that quote doesn't surprise me  ;D

Kyle Henderson

If I am thinking about the same member - the conversation and that quote doesn't surprise me  ;D

I'm sure you must be.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Patrick Kiser

He is relentless...  ;D
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Andrew Summerell

When you wrote “conversation during lunch” I assume you meant to say “lecture during lunch”.

Matthew Mollica

The first hole at Ocean is a picturesque hole, with a centreline hazard at the right distance, and of daunting appearace. Yet the harder to reach upper (right) plateau affords no great advantage, and the lower (left) portion of fairway on the drive is the easier to hit, yet affords the better angle for the second shot, when attempting to either lay-up or go for the green in two.

The presence of an internal OOB hard against the left of the first fairway complicated things for years. It has now gone but was there for several years when the driving range was adjacent to the hole. Why a master plan for such an expansive green field site incorporated this element is puzzling.

The green seems to offer no incentive to approach from one segment of the fairway over another. The greenside bunkering is a reasonale distance from the green.

The green was worked on inside the first few years of the course's life, owing to a paucity of pin positions, and a large false front which occupied a greater percentage of the green area than desirable.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the review Kyle.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Justin Ryan

I've seen enough.

Kyle Henderson

I've seen enough.

This comment elicited an audible chuckle (from me), though I suspect because I am taking it out of the intended context.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:15:01 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Kyle Henderson

Hole #2 extends for 392 meters from tee-to-green, with a single set of fairway bunkers placed at a narrowing in the landing zone to catch long drives -- medium length hitters are not likely to reach them.

The second set of bunkers sits a bit short of the putting surface and should be taken out of play by hitting to the green’s stern, as the 2nd green features a pronounce false front similar to that found at the 1st.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:16:07 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Jim Nugent

Re: The National Golf Club -The Ocean Course: A pictorial (2nd hole posted)!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:29:38 PM »
Kyle, you are taking outstanding pictures.  Very much enjoying your photo tours. 

Kyle Henderson

Re: The National Golf Club -The Ocean Course: A pictorial (3rd hole posted)!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 05:16:12 PM »
Jim, that's very kind of you to say. It's my pleasure.

The 3rd hole is a par 3, playing as long as 176 meters to a green protected by bunkers short/right and long/left. The back bunker is to be avoided, as the green slopes to the front --  a tough target to hit when the winds are up.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 09:10:39 PM »
Such a tough hole. Given it's orrientation to the prevailing winds, I can't help but think the hole might be better fun, and sometimes more manageable for the majority of members if it was around 50m shorter. The area of the course would also work if the tee for the next hole were not in such close proximity to the 3rd green - another puzzling routing characteristic on a spacious site.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Mark_F

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 10:43:35 PM »
...another puzzling routing characteristic on a spacious site.

Another?

The whole course is a puzzling characteristic.

What's sad is that the first four holes represent the highlights of the course.  5-11 must be the worst stretch of golf holes on the planet.

How anyone could think they deserved payment for the abomination that is the Ocean course is beyond belief.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 12:36:30 AM »

What's sad is that the first four holes represent the highlights of the course.  5-11 must be the worst stretch of golf holes on the planet.

I strongly disagree with this statement.

However, I would not so strongly disagree with someone that finds this stretch of holes to be the most disappointing they've played given the high potential of the ground it occupies. By that measure, I think #4 underachieves most egregiously, though it is perhaps not the least meritorious of the lot as a finished product.

Justin Ryan

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 06:39:27 AM »
Such a tough hole. Given it's orrientation to the prevailing winds, I can't help but think the hole might be better fun, and sometimes more manageable for the majority of members if it was around 50m shorter. The area of the course would also work if the tee for the next hole were not in such close proximity to the 3rd green - another puzzling routing characteristic on a spacious site.
I quite like having tees in proximity to the previous green. I don't remember it being a problem here. I also thought it was one of the least worst holes on the course.

However, I would not so strongly disagree with someone that finds this stretch of holes to be the most disappointing they've played given the high potential of the ground it occupies. By that measure, I think #4 underachieves most egregiously, though it is perhaps not the least meritorious of the lot as a finished product.
I agree, I would replace 11 with 4, making 4-10 the worst stretch of holes on the planet.

The next worst might be 12-18 on National Moonah, with the exception of 15.

The sad thing is they always put corporates and charity days on the Ocean, so there is a massive population of golfers who have only played it of the three National course. Not that they tend to complain, because the fairways are usually in excellent condition. ::)

Kyle Henderson

Re: The National Golf Club -The Ocean Course: A pictorial (4th hole posted)!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 12:33:16 PM »
The 4th hole, as I stated above, was perhaps my biggest disappointment of the round. A large, natural bunker is prominently displayed to golfers on the tee, yet there is little incentive to challenging this abyss, given the wide berth given to the left and the immense penalty extacted by a mistake. Why direct players away from the course’s best natural feature?

Those who stray well left may have their view of the green impeded by a port-side  hillock, but most players will simply face a wide open fairway that meanders downhill to a rather nondescript green.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 05:13:48 PM »
A few small additions Kyle,

the hazard on 4 is a quarry, used during construction of the course. It is not natural per se, and is used very poorly IMHO.
And the green looks non-descript at first but is actually one of the better greens on the course.
It is large and has some good internal contouring, with central back pins tougher to access, while also providing difficult putting.
The green is also quite receptive to a long ground ball, banked in from the right.

On the 4th tee, the day's "strategy" if you can call it that, is confirmed.
Aim at the hazards, and hit straight at them, while not taking enough club to get in them.
You can do that all day long on Ocean.
On repeat occasions, there's no reward for clearing them, while the penalty for being short of them is often quite mild.
(On 4 it's a long blind approach shot).

Try to get by them and fail, and a large penalty is extracted.
On this basis, some might say the course has merit, yet I invite them to comment after play.

Justin - re: 3rd gree & 4th tee proximity - long iron tee shots on 3 often endanger the 4th black tee occupants.
The option for many on 3 is to hit a long fade, starting out at the 4th tee, and ending just short of the green.
Maybe you have been fortunate to have played the course infrequently enough to not see this...

MM
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:21:35 AM by Matthew Mollica »

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 10:11:28 PM »
Matt,

That quarry on the 4th was there before the course was constructed. Maybe it looks a little different now but it could have been used to more effect perhaps- something like the similar looking and positioned hazard at Barnbougle's 4th hole.

Justin Ryan

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 01:19:53 AM »
Justin - re: 3rd gree & 4th tee proximity - long iron tee shots on 3 often endanger the 4th black tee occupants.
The option for many on 3 is to hit a long fade, starting out at the 4th tee, and ending just short of the green.
Maybe you have been fortunate to have played the course infrequently enough to not see this...
Matt, the 3rd does set up for a right handers fade. I never remember putting one on the 4th tee though. My last game there was many years ago, and I still carry the pain of telling Andrew Summerell that carts weren't allowed for fit strong gentleman, only to see the poor bloke at the point of exhaustion with about 8 holes to go on what was I suspect one of the most depressing poor courses he has played. I'm sorry Andrew.

It is a course I will be happy if I never play again, along with Forst Resort and Kingswood and a few others.

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 02:21:56 AM »
Ahhh....good old National Ocean. A course of vomit inducing proportions. Such a terrible waste of a decent site. So poor that even the Cashmores could probably improve it.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 02:58:44 AM »
Kyle,

Your photo shoot on the The Ocean Course is up to the usual high benchmark that you set.  Boy are these Aussies giving this course a hard time! I suspect that the Melbourne crew have been spoilt for choice for too long!

Matthew M:  You suggest that  a lot of the  hazards when taken on exact a penalty then the play as you say, which is clever in my opinion, is to be short all day. Perchance the architects were showing foresight and forcing we golfers to have to hit longer irons into the greens! That might be a refreshing change, n'est ce pas?

Kyle you make a disparaging remark with respect to your hat "....the unsightly form of my ostentatious headwear." in your opening description.  Well I happen to own TWO of this style. I please myself to believe it is a fedora. I also please myself to believe I look very snappy when I turn up wearing my Macqueen tartan trews and sporting such a fine piece of haberdashery! If only wearing such a hat ensured that I could have a turn similar to yours! I suspect my fedora would spin off!

Once again thanks for the tours.

Cheerrrrrrrrs Colin.
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 11:30:48 AM »
Kyle,

Your photo shoot on the The Ocean Course is up to the usual high benchmark that you set.  Boy are these Aussies giving this course a hard time! I suspect that the Melbourne crew have been spoilt for choice for too long!

Matthew M:  You suggest that  a lot of the  hazards when taken on exact a penalty then the play as you say, which is clever in my opinion, is to be short all day. Perchance the architects were showing foresight and forcing we golfers to have to hit longer irons into the greens! That might be a refreshing change, n'est ce pas?

Kyle you make a disparaging remark with respect to your hat "....the unsightly form of my ostentatious headwear." in your opening description.  Well I happen to own TWO of this style. I please myself to believe it is a fedora. I also please myself to believe I look very snappy when I turn up wearing my Macqueen tartan trews and sporting such a fine piece of haberdashery! If only wearing such a hat ensured that I could have a turn similar to yours! I suspect my fedora would spin off!

Once again thanks for the tours.

Cheerrrrrrrrs Colin.

Colin I love the hat, even more so when Spaulding mocks it. Bill McBride spotted me from dozens of yards away in a chance meeting a few weeks ago, purely because of my cranial adornment.

As I stated before, I think the Ocean is still probably well above the average golf course in spite of the failure of its architect(s) to make it anywhere near as great as it should be.

Kyle Henderson

Re: The National Golf Club -The Ocean Course: A pictorial (5th hole posted)!!!
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 11:49:20 AM »
Contrary to Mr. Mollica’s often-prudent  strategy of playing short of the course’s principal hazards, tee shots at the 345-meter 5th should be hammered directly over the pair of fairway bunkers (a 210-meter carry from the tips), unless a strong wind prevents this possibility.

The approach will then be an uphill wedge to a wide/shallow  green that falls away at the front.

Blokes and sheilas, we have target golf on “linksy” land.

Bruce Hardie

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 09:57:36 PM »

The sad thing is they always put corporates and charity days on the Ocean, so there is a massive population of golfers who have only played it of the three National course. Not that they tend to complain, because the fairways are usually in excellent condition. ::)

That was true of my first couple of visits to The National. I thought it was pretty good until I was finally given a look at the Moonah and thought that The Ocean really did pale in comparison. Then I was had a chance at The Old and saw that TOC was actually the 4th worst course on the site behind Old, National and daylight.

At least it isn't Moonah Open.

I'll play a dozen worse courses than this over the course of a year though - another pointer that we are spoiled in Melbourne.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back