News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Blaisdell

What say of Lindrick?
« on: November 28, 2011, 05:23:29 AM »
I have a collection of golf magazines that numbers about 4000 from the late 50's to the present.I built a special storage bin many years ago that is 7 feet high , eight feet wide and it's sectioned off for storage and each compartment is three feet deep. I keep it in a humidity controlled cellar and about 98 percent of my issues are mint condition and all sorted by magazine title and date. Of course, my wife thinks I'm bonkers but I think my fellow GCA" ers would appreciate my madness.

Anyway, what I like to do in the winter is have a couple of libations and revisit better times by grabbing 20 -30 old magazines and go through them . It's amazing the things that you forget. I really get a kick out of looking at the old equipment ads.

I came upon an article in an old GOLF WORLD about the 1957 Ryder Cup that was held at a course called Lindrick that was described as " quirky " at best.
Does anyone have any info on the course, it's history and how it stands today? I never heard of it before. Anything you could offer would be much appreciated.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

James Boon

Re: What say of Lindrick?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:51:05 AM »
Pete,

Here is a photo tour I did several years ago. The tour and following discussions should answer most of your questions?
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35782.0.html

I'll post more later when I've a little more time.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 07:45:47 AM »
It does good deals on winter green fees for a group of four. The main downside is having to cross and recross a busy main road and the fact that it is laid out over common land means that you encounter dog mess during the round. Otherwise, I love it.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 08:44:12 AM »
This is a pretty impressive page to be able to put on your club website!

http://lindrickgolfclub.co.uk/lindrick/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=48

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:50:06 AM »
It does good deals on winter green fees for a group of four. The main downside is having to cross and recross a busy main road and the fact that it is laid out over common land means that you encounter dog mess during the round. Otherwise, I love it.

Mark, how does the road crossing compare to that nightmare at Liphook?   :o.   That's the most frightening I've seen in over fifty years of golf.   The visibility of oncoming high speed traffic was really poor, surprised more haven't been killed. 

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 09:08:05 AM »
Jim-Mark, Duncan & Bill--
   Thanks for the info and links. Much appreciated
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Tom Kelly

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 12:40:49 PM »
One of my favourite courses.

I don't think any holes stand-out as truly great, unless you are a fan of quirk in which case the 4th maybe a favourite. It is a par 5 with a huge drop to a blind green which is the tri-county border between Notts, Derbyshire and Yorkshire. But there aren't any weak holes either.

Just 18 very good golf holes that are definitely worth a visit.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back