News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Lindrick, Nottinghamshire
« on: July 28, 2008, 04:22:28 PM »
I recently played round Lindrick, venue for the 1957 Ryder Cup. The course is well known for the quality of its turf and has held a Curtis Cup and several other professional tournaments but at only 6,600 probably isn’t considered long enough anymore. I took a few pictures, which I thought some of you might like to see. Also, a link to their website:
http://www.lindrickgolfclub.co.uk/

Hole 1
The first is a par 4 from a raised tee of around 400 yards.
Regional Qualifying for the Open had been held here a couple of weeks before I played and the rough was long and I guess it had probably been grown in a little to make it tougher as only one player scored under par.

Approach to the first hole

Hole 2
This is a great par 4 around 350 yards long, dog leg to the left. On the corner of the dog leg are some humps and hollows with long rough that would catch anyone trying to get too close to the green

Looking back down the second

Hole 4
The third is a mid length par 3 that then leads us to the short par 5 fourth which was probably my favourite hole on the course. This is the drive

Deep bunker on the right side of fairway

If you avoid the bunker, this is the view of your layup or shot to the green. Notice the marker post

You then approach the green hidden well below the level of the fairway, to see if your ball has managed to run down the slope and on to the green?

View from fifth tee looking back at the fourth green with the strem that is behind the green

Hole 5
This is a 430 yard par 4 with a drive from down in the same valley as the fourth green back up to the higher ground. Shame about the tarmac path.

This shows one of the old markers with S&D GC. Though in Nottinghamshire, its actually nearer to Sheffield and so Lindrick used to be called Sheffield & District GC

Approach to the fifth

Hole 6
Short par 3 to a well bunkered green

Hole 7
440 yard par 4 where the drive must take on two bunkers angled across the fairway. The tighter the line the shorter the approach to the green seen below

Hole 8 is a short par 4 where the fairway narrows significantly nearer the green you get with your drive, with more rough ground to the left

Hole 9
Another longish par 4 but slightly down hill, though as on the last the fairway narrows in the driving area with rough ground on the left

Hole 11
The tenth was a medium par 4, followed by a good par 3 eleventh of 170 odd yards. The green has a drop off to the rear

Hole 12
The old twelfth ran alongside the main road that divides the course (which I believe several holes actually crossed till about the 1930s) but has been replaced as too many balls were going onto the road

The new twelfth is now over the road and I wonder if the land is owned by the club or leased, or if there were specific clauses in any sale agreement? I say this as there was a sign stating “No Smoking On This Hole” (not that I do) and it did seem slightly of character not having any bunkers. Also a member told me they can’t use the back tee as a nearby do kennels complained about balls from this tee landing on their land. This is the approach shot

Hole 13
Another favourite this. 450 off yards dog leg left with bunkers guarding the corner of the dog leg, then an uphill approach shot

Hole 15
The fourteenth is a par 5 over level ground, followed by a medium par 4 with again interesting humps and hollows around the green, as well as a stone boundary wall. This is the view back up the fairway

Hole 16
A short par 5 with a blind drive, followed by an approach to a green guarded by an old quarry on the left

Hole 17
394 yards down hill and Greg Norma managed to take 14 in the 1982 Martini Tournament held here. Not sure how?

Hole 18
A par 3 to finish and a good one. 210 yards that probably plays slightly uphill

I didn’t enjoy the course as much as Notts (Hollinwell) which is reasonably close, but it is certainly a good challenge and worth a round if you are in the area.

Cheers

James
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:24:14 PM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jon Wiggett

Re: Lindrick, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 04:40:53 PM »
James,

Lindrick is a really good course which I prefer to Notts, although the old 12th was far better than the rest. It looks in its usual state as far as rough. I would advise playing it several times if you get the chance as it is a grows on you type of course. The course is actually in three different counties if I remember correctly.

James Boon

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 04:51:38 PM »
Someone told me that your tee shot on one hole (could have been the 5th) goes through 3 counties!

Don't get me wrong, I liked it, I just think I prefer Notts more at the moment though I have played that a lot more so I will take your advice and make sure I play it again!

Cheers

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 01:05:40 AM »
Thanks James this is another one of those courses which would get a lot more attention if it were nearer a golf centre.  I dont think I've seen pictures on here before.

When the Buda cup was at Alwoodey and people were talking of the merits of the top Heathland courses, Ganton, Woodhall etc, several members said "You really must get to Lindrick".
Let's make GCA grate again!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 06:38:31 AM »
James

Thanks for the photos.  I think Notts and Lindrick (both of which generally fly under the radar) would be part of a good North Midlands tour, also incorporating Woodhall Spa.

Despite living about one hours drive away I've never actually played Lindrick.  We went past the other week en route for Woodhall Spa saying we really must get there sometime.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Dean Stokes

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:55:08 AM »
Someone told me that your tee shot on one hole (could have been the 5th) goes through 3 counties!

Don't get me wrong, I liked it, I just think I prefer Notts more at the moment though I have played that a lot more so I will take your advice and make sure I play it again!

Cheers

James
Brings back some great memories. James, umpteen years ago I was told that the 4th green actually sits in three Counties. I believe they are Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire. Interesting eh?
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 09:03:09 AM »
James
Enjoyed your photos. The course certainly looks interesting.

It is not widely recognised that Dr Alister Mackenzie likely worked on the Lindrick course pre 1923. It was originally called the Sheffield and District GC and Mackenzie claimed it as one of the courses in his 1923 advertisement that included a list of some fifty or so courses. I have not been able to find exactly what he did or when, other than that it was before 1923. If anyone knows anything further I'd love to hear about it.

cheers Neil

James Boon

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 02:58:09 PM »
Neil,

Alister MacKenzie at Lindrick is a new one to me. Had a quick look in Cornish and Whitten's The Architects of Golf and also Doak et als Life and Works with no mentions. Only that it was Tom Dunn with later work by Hawtree.

The website's history states:
"The club was originally named The Sheffield and District Golf Club, but this was changed in 1934 and the full name of the club is now "Lindrick Golf Club (Sheffield and District)". In 1894 the course was extended to 18 holes, although between then and 1899 there appear to have been many modifications. The 1899 course measured 5,511 yards to 5,900 yards. The last major alteration to the course took place in 1932; since then only the 11th, 12th and 13th holes have been changed. It is of interest that the course layout prior to 1932 involved two holes which were played across the A57."

The Course Guide states that the course was first played over nine holes in 1892, extended to eighteen in 1894 and then extended to 5,900 yards in 1899. Again no mention?

I'd be interested to hear more though if anyone else can throw any further light on the matter?

Cheers

James

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 07:22:29 PM »
James
The lists of Mackenzie's courses in Doak et al, Cornish and Whitten, and Hawtree's Colt and Co are somewhat incomplete and you are correct, there is no mention of Lindrick in there. I've attached the 1923 advert and Lindrick is certainly there, along with quite a few others that are not in those lists. While this indicates that he claimed it as one of his, the further research I've done into this list (as part of work we are doing with The Alister MacKenzie Society) shows that a large percentage are checking out. So at this time I have nothing that indicates he didn't work there and hopefully the club may have some evidence lurking in their archives somewhere. Perhaps if you get the chance to contact them (I'm assuming you are UK based) and enquire if they have any information about Mac at Lindrick. That would be great.
cheers Neil

James Boon

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 03:45:25 AM »
Neil,

Ever since I played Cavendish as a junior I have always liked Alister MacKenzie's work (though I have been unable to play many of his courses so far) and as I do live within an hours drive of Lindrick, I shall see what I can find out from them.

Lets hope this doesn't turn into a thread similar to those discussing a certain Pennsylvania course beginning with M  ;D

Cheers

James

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 04:29:32 AM »
You mean the course who's name shall not be spoken?

If you can get to Lindrick to see what the club might have that would be terrific.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 08:04:35 AM »
James,

Lindrick is a really good course which I prefer to Notts, although the old 12th was far better than the rest. It looks in its usual state as far as rough. I would advise playing it several times if you get the chance as it is a grows on you type of course. The course is actually in three different counties if I remember correctly.

John

When was the 12th changed?  I'm trying to remember if I played the new or old hole...about 15 years ago.  I think it was the new hole, Buy I also vaguely recall that the old 12th was still sometimes in play??

Anyway, nice to see Lindrick as I don't remember it very well.

Neil

Interesting that Mackenzie lists Lido!  Also, there's no mention of Mackenzie as architect (or anyone else) in the RHK Browning Lindrick Handbook (1940s).  The routing map in the handbook matches the current layout apart from the 12th.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 08:38:31 AM »
Paul
And why not list Lido!
One hole in 18 is enough I suppose to claim it (at least it was for Mackenzie!)
No reference in RHKB's Lindrick handbook I see, but none for any other architect either. Hopefully something will turn up to confirm his claim.
cheers Neil

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 09:31:52 AM »
James

You likely have played more Mac courses, or at least holes, than you (or the clubs) realize!

Mark

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 11:20:26 AM »
I was chatting the other day to a comittee member of The MacKenzie Society and apparently Lindrick have applied to join as a MacKenzie club, after the discovery of old documents detailing Dr Mac's involvement,  which appears to have been quite extensive.

I will try to find out more.

Incidentally Lindrick are currently offering 4-balls at £140 at certain times if anyone fancies a day out.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 04:11:27 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »
James,

John

When was the 12th changed?  I'm trying to remember if I played the new or old hole...about 15 years ago.  I think it was the new hole, Buy I also vaguely recall that the old 12th was still sometimes in play??

Anyway, nice to see Lindrick as I don't remember it very well.

Paul,

sorry for the very late reply but missed it the first time. I know the old 12th was still in play during the 1986 regional Open Qualifying but was no longer in play by 1989 so I guess 88-89 is about when the change happened.

Duncan,

great price for the quality of course which I would love to take up if I lived closer. Anyone living within a couple of hours should seriously think of giving you a call.

Jon

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 04:31:02 PM »
I was chatting the other day to a comittee member of The MacKenzie Society and apparently Lindrick have applied to join as a MacKenzie club, after the discovery of old documents detailing Dr Mac's involvement,  which appears to have been quite extensive.

Incidentally Lindrick are currently offering 4-balls at £140 at certain times if anyone fancies a day out.
I'd be interested in this.  Anyone else?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 05:21:44 PM »
Oops!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:18:52 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 01:06:18 AM »
I finally made it to Lindrick last week and was very impressed.

The rather grand clubhouse sits atop a rise looking imperiously out over the first few (and the last) holes. At first sight the course's heathland credentials look a little suspect; the only heather to be found on the property is in the ornamental flower-beds surrounding the terrace and putting green. I got the initial impression of a beckoning moorland/parkland hybrid in the manner of Fixby or Hopwood.

I needn't have worried, however. As soon as I was called upon to take a long iron to the first green it was clear that Lindrick is the real deal. After the wettest of winters, with most inland courses in the north of England muddy bogs, what a delight it was to find such firm crisp turf from which to play so far from the coast.

Like James, I thought probably the best hole is the long 4th, a dogleg right from the tee playing ultimately to a green set low by a river maybe 50ft below the level of the fairway. We played however, to a second green at fairway level 50 yards short of the main green - clearly standard practice during the winter as I would imagine that the riverside green gets very wet.

Indeed, several holes played from tees set at different angles to those detailed in the course planner - Lindrick in effect has a "winter course", presumably to protect the main tees. Nowhere however, did we feel that we were being cheated out of the full experience. The only criticism I would level is that these winter tees could be better signposted. A few of them took some finding! 

Gorse is the main botanical feature of Lindrick. Happily though, it is not the thick impenetrable gorse of Silloth or Ganton but more managed thinner clumps from which it is reasonably straightforward to locate and extract an errant ball. With the yellow blooms coming into flower it is a spectacular sight.

The bunkering is restrained but strategic. I particularly like the diagonal line of three cross bunkers on the 370 yard 10th.

The two right hand traps are set perfectly to catch the slightly pushed or sliced drive, while the left hand bunker is just out of range for most players, but concentrates the mind of the big hitter, as it is on the perfect line. The bunkering alone turns a routine hole into a very good one.

We were a little perplexed however, by the short par 4 8th.

Here, all the trouble seems to be reserved for the golfer attempting to drive the green; so much so that surely only the foolhardy would attempt it when a simple iron and wedge will get you there without danger...

I won't bore you with more specifics; Sean is threatening a visit and he expresses these things far better than I can. Suffice to say that Lindrick is a very fine course indeed, and worthy of inclusion in a select group of northern heathland classics along with the likes of Hollinwell, Sherwood Forest, Delamere Forest, Moortown, and Alwoodley.

Negatives?

The busy A57 is very noisy on a few holes and a constant presence across most of the course. Fortunately the two hazardous crossings of said road have now been mitigated by tunnels.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:30:15 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 06:19:46 AM »
I returned to Lindrick yesterday in the company of the Alister MacKenzie Society.  Much work has been going on - particularly to the bunkering.

Here is the opening tee shot, which in my view has been greatly enhanced by the addition of a large fairway bunker on the direct line.

As it was before...
 DSC02971 by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

The approach to the 2nd green as in James' original post...

and how it is now...
2nd approach by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

There is a lot more visual interest and drama in the new bunkers with their high sand faces. Previously most bunkers on the course were grass faced and nowhere near as visible. 

Here is the 14th

14th hole - before (2) by Duncan Cheslett, on Flic

14th hole (2) by Duncan Cheslett, on Flickr

The architect is Ken Moodie of Creative Golf Design.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:43:53 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Niall C

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 07:29:51 PM »

I'd be interested in this.  Anyone else?

I don't suppose you have to go by Lindrick while travelling from Scotland to this years BUDA ? It's one of those courses that have had a great rep for ever but somehow doesn't seem to get talked about.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back