News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: James Braid
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2010, 10:10:37 AM »

Mark

In a word no, the only info comes from old notes/comments from Gordon  Cunningham the old golfing historian. His info from old maps etc.

Melvyn

I will e-mail some info.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Anyone got a more recent photo of Elies 11th ?

Is there a quick way to resize photo's on Photobucket? For some reason the last 5 courses have come out this bloody small.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:28:34 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2010, 05:40:34 PM »
I've just realised that at something around or just over 16, I may have played more Braid than any other Architect. That's either kinda scary or quite nice. I'm not sure...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2010, 10:45:38 AM »
Alister -

Kyle Henderson did a nice pictorial covering most of the holes (all of the par-3's) at Golspie last year. There is a nice shot of #16, a great hole.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40126.0/

If/when I ever get organized, I will do a "My Home Course" post on Golspie. Don't hold your breath!

DT 

If I did one you can do one!  Kyle already did the heavy lifting, all the photos.  I loved the way Golspie takes you into and back out of three distinct and different environments.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
Ah,
but how many GCAers have played the Course where the 18th is very aptly, and somewhat sadly, named: 'Braid's Last'?
FBD.

Not me .

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2010, 06:15:08 PM »
 ;D
Apart from THAT view, I still can't decide if that is a good golf hole or not......
You?
cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2010, 06:28:36 PM »
Pity about the OB posts .

Funny that Cornish-Whitten list Stranraer as 1906, yet supposedly Braid designed it in 1950, the year of his death .

God bless google  ;)

David_Tepper

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2010, 09:40:04 PM »
Brian & Marty -

Please tell us what course is pictured above.
Also, is the a specific reason why the beach is treated as OB (white stakes) rather than a lateral hazard (red stakes)?
Thanks!

DT 

Phil McDade

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2010, 10:33:38 PM »
Brian & Marty -

Please tell us what course is pictured above.
Also, is the a specific reason why the beach is treated as OB (white stakes) rather than a lateral hazard (red stakes)?
Thanks!

DT 

David:

It's Stranraer, on the extreme southwestern coast of Scotland, south of Ayrshire, near Portpatrick, said to be the last course designed by Braid before his death.

David_Tepper

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2010, 10:44:01 PM »
Phil -

Thanks, I probably should have been able to figure that out on my own. :)

I am still curious to know why there is OB down the right side of the fairway. Every seaside course that I can recall playing in GB&I has similar holes marked as lateral hazards rather than OB.

DT

Phil McDade

« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2010, 11:38:19 PM »
David:

Machrihanish #1 -- the beach is in play! (And I should know... ;))

Mark Pearce

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2010, 03:42:28 AM »
David,

The beach is OOB on the 4th and 5th holes at Crail Balcomie, both of which holes are left to right doglegs with the tee shot played over the beach.  I don't know why OOB rather than a hazard, though the beach is popular with walkers.  Like you, I prefer to see red stakes rather than white.

At Machrihanish, isn't the beach a hazard in normal play but OOB when they host any serious competitions?  I had heard that this was to prevent tidal timetables having an undue effect on results as many very strong players might choose to drive as far as possible down the beach and then hit a wedge up to the green from the beach.  Of course, this might be nonsense.....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2010, 04:12:18 AM »
Mark
I think us Scots firstly like 'play it as it lies' , if that is not possible, then white stakes.

Red Stakes cause too many arguements in matchplay .

IMHO  ;)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2010, 04:22:57 AM »
Brian,

Surely a tidal body of water has to be a water hazard?  The arguments over red stakes could be a whole lot worse than it not being a hazard when the tide's in.  That would amount to a lost ball if the tide was in and a makeable shot if not.  Perhaps OOB really is the best way to go.....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2010, 07:07:33 PM »
Trying to think of how to keep this thread going ..........

James Braid played my home club (Stonehaven) in 1906, in a match against Archie Simpson, just days after winning his 3rd Open Championship (Imagine that nowadays !)

I had read old newspaper reports of the 36 hole match, and a couple of old photographs of the match were in the Clubhouse.

Then one day looking through ebay, I found for auction, an old photo album of holidays snaps, and it was mentioned that there was a couple of the golf club .

Intrigued I made a bid and was lucky enough to win the album.

And when I received the item, I was shocked to find over 20 golfing photos, and all of the Braid Simpson match, along with views of the golf course that no one had seen in a long time .

After the match, Braid and Simpson were hired to re-design the course, and Archie Simpson oversaw the work .

Here's one of the photos of the match .

For those of you, who know Stonehaven, wont recognise this as the 3rd, as its now the 18th tee.

In the background the clifftop 2nd tee had yet to built, which I can presume was Braid or Simspons idea.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:12:15 PM by Brian_Ewen »

David_Tepper

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2010, 07:19:33 PM »
I think us Scots firstly like 'play it as it lies' , if that is not possible, then white stakes.

Red Stakes cause too many arguements in matchplay .

Brian -

Waterside holes #9, #10 & #11 at Royal Dornoch are all marked as lateral hazards.
Waterside holes #3, #4 & #5 at Gospie are all marked lateral hazards.
I think the waterside holes along the Firth on the front nine at Nairn are also marked as lateral hazards.

DT

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2010, 07:24:53 PM »
And ...... you prefer red stakes in this situation David ?

David_Tepper

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2010, 07:39:28 PM »
Brian -

Yes, I do prefer situations like that played as a lateral hazard. For starters, I think stroke & distance is the least "fair" penalty. With red stakes, you do at least have the chance/option to attempt to play a recovery shot from the hazard.

DT

James Boon

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2010, 03:40:55 AM »
On the subject of lateral/OB for the beach, it wasn't something I'd ever really thought about until I played the 2nd at North Berwick and one of my playing partners that day hit the biggest block slice I've ever seen but as the tide was out he set off down the beech, from where he hit it to several feet and lipped out for birdie! Not something that would have been possible at anything other than low tide.

This did make me think that if I was a local, I would always try and get a tee time to coincide with low tide?  ::)

Now back to Braid anyone...

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2010, 03:51:18 AM »
This did make me think that if I was a local, I would always try and get a tee time to coincide with low tide?  ::)
James,

Lot's of members at Crail consider the tide timetable before deciding when to play and the beach there is OOB.  Why?  Because the tide certainly makes a difference to the wind on a relatively still day elsewhere.  Sea breezes and tides are inherently linked.  I just don't understand well enough to know how.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2010, 04:51:19 AM »
Yes, I do prefer situations like that played as a lateral hazard. For starters, I think stroke & distance is the least "fair" penalty. With red stakes, you do at least have the chance/option to attempt to play a recovery shot from the hazard.

David
The F Word ?

With no stakes you get your chance/option .

With red stakes you get a dodgy guesstimation of where it entered the hazard, that some golfers consider f**r.

Back to Braid ..... please  :)

David_Tepper

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2010, 10:24:21 AM »
Brian -

Instead of the F-word, how about the E-word....EQUITABLE!

Back to Braid.

DT

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2010, 06:19:17 AM »
Back to Braid ......

I take it, the beach is in play here ?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 06:21:03 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2010, 11:36:49 AM »
Back to Braid ......

Where's this?  Does that heinous road cut right in front of thr green?   >:(

The beach is in bounds at North Berwick, out of bounds at Crail.  So it varies.

Alister Matheson

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2010, 01:31:43 PM »
Back to Braid ......

Brian,
         Looks like it sure is especially since a fair amont of it looks to have blown on to the green !

This looks like a sexy course wheres its location ?

Cheers
           Alister
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back