News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: James Braid
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2010, 06:35:47 AM »
One of my favourite Braid courses is Welshpool - seriously up hill and down dale. Some of his green sites there make use of the natural features marvellously. One of the holes, the 4th, is only 297 yards long, yet it rates as Stroke 4. It's stiffly uphill and the second shot is roughly akin to landing a 7-iron on the summit of the Matterhorn. The 18th is also an amazing hole and must have been almost impossible to all but the longest hitters when it was built. On the tee you are on one mountain and there, half a mile away, on another mountain is the clubhouse. On the far side of the intervening valley is a fairway first climbing straight and then bending sharply left as it continues to rise towards the green. There is a marker post something like 250 yards from the tee so it is in theory reachable in ideal conditions but that implies a carry of the order of 240 yards. If you hit less powerfully (and some of do!) you have to assess just how much you dare bite off and you will get no marks for crashing into the bracken in trying to play too conservatively. It's a heroic hole!

Tom MacWood

« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2010, 07:06:20 AM »
Tommy Mac

I would be surprised if JH did substantially more original courses than Braid.  While JH didn't keep down a full time pro job he did still do a lot of exhibitions and writing.  I don't know, but I get the impression that JH spent more time on projects than did Braid, but that may be down to having Hawtree as a design partner for many of his projects - I don't know.  Its also my impression that JH was more connected with the Colts and Fowlers in design than Braid was, possibly because of his writing.  Braid and Vardon do seem like characters off in their own separate niches from JH.  Although, I suspect Vardon was not well for long periods of time so this may be an explanation for him. 

So far as Park Jr is concerned, I have always wondered what happened to his club making business when he was hammering away at design.  Do you know?

Ciao

Is it possible Braid preferred redesign over new design for whatever reason?

Niall C

« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2010, 07:15:35 AM »
Tom

I think he was happy to do the job, whatever it was. As one of the triumvirate, Braid was a big name and apparently a very popular figure in the game. He would have been the man of choice for many existing clubs for that point alone, and with their being more existing clubs looking to tweak their courses, and happily put Braids name to the course, than new courses being built, it is perhaps not surprising the imbalance in Braids design credits.

Niall

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »

Tom
I think thats more to do with time.

Certainly with the Braids that I play regular, they were rudimentary layouts done by the golfers themselves, then when money came available it was time to get a professional in.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2010, 09:48:15 PM »
David,

The beach is OOB on the 4th and 5th holes at Crail Balcomie, both of which holes are left to right doglegs with the tee shot played over the beach.  I don't know why OOB rather than a hazard, though the beach is popular with walkers.  Like you, I prefer to see red stakes rather than white.

At Machrihanish, isn't the beach a hazard in normal play but OOB when they host any serious competitions?  I had heard that this was to prevent tidal timetables having an undue effect on results as many very strong players might choose to drive as far as possible down the beach and then hit a wedge up to the green from the beach.  Of course, this might be nonsense.....

Mark

For flat bellies the first is essentially a drive/wedge unless the wind is unusual - no need to sneak up the beach.

It doesn't look pretty, but here is a classic Braid par 3 using the oob to perfection at Broadway.

Ciao

Sean, so Braid did the first nine holes at Broadway?  Should have known!

Sean_A

« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2010, 05:43:26 AM »
Tommy Mac

I would be surprised if JH did substantially more original courses than Braid.  While JH didn't keep down a full time pro job he did still do a lot of exhibitions and writing.  I don't know, but I get the impression that JH spent more time on projects than did Braid, but that may be down to having Hawtree as a design partner for many of his projects - I don't know.  Its also my impression that JH was more connected with the Colts and Fowlers in design than Braid was, possibly because of his writing.  Braid and Vardon do seem like characters off in their own separate niches from JH.  Although, I suspect Vardon was not well for long periods of time so this may be an explanation for him. 

So far as Park Jr is concerned, I have always wondered what happened to his club making business when he was hammering away at design.  Do you know?

Ciao

Tommy Mac

I think Braid preferred quick design jobs so redesign probably fit that preference better than original design. 

Ace

No, Braid designed the back nine of Broadway, but the job was completed until many years later by the members so I suspect the nine holes isn't built exactly to Braid's specs.  The spectacular front nine was designed by a local pro with Dr Mac & T Simpson making alterations to many holes at a llater dates. 

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,44266.0/

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Paul_Turner

« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2010, 08:35:27 AM »
There's some evidence that Braid worked with Hawtree and Taylor:  Purdis Heath being one example.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Niall C

« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2010, 08:48:27 AM »
Paul,

I recall that Hawtree & Taylor did the construction work on one of Braids designs in Glasgow, Cathcart Castle perhaps, I can't quite recall.

Niall

Alister Matheson

« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2010, 03:50:39 PM »

Thought i would just fire this aerial pic up showing the Par 3 18th @ Brora a very tough hole to par when out playing a bounce game nevermind a medal !

Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Eoin Riddell

« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2010, 10:07:24 AM »
Nice photo ;)

Alister Matheson

Re: James Braid New
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »
Nice photo ;)

Cheers Eoin the chap that took this managed NOT to take a picture of the wing on every other shot   ;)

Are you tuning in to see Donald Trumps golf war on BBC 2 @ 9pm tonight ?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 03:42:57 PM by Ally Matheson »
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back