News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: ROYAL PORTHCAWL GC
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2021, 09:49:28 AM »
I recall a recent thread which showed that over the 2020/1 winter period bunker related work comprised approx 30% of the greenstaffs time at North Berwick.
Ok, that was a winter only period figure and likely included project time, but I’d like to know year-on-year annual time spent on bunkers and opened-up sandy areas at somewhere like Royal Porthcawl (or another course that has adopted a similar approach) both now and before their bunker/sandy area alterations were made.
Such data might make interesting analysis as upkeep and maintenance take time and costs money and I’m far from convinced how much those in charge at member run clubs realise this.

Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2021, 04:13:49 AM »
I recall a recent thread which showed that over the 2020/1 winter period bunker related work comprised approx 30% of the greenstaffs time at North Berwick.
Ok, that was a winter only period figure and likely included project time, but I’d like to know year-on-year annual time spent on bunkers and opened-up sandy areas at somewhere like Royal Porthcawl (or another course that has adopted a similar approach) both now and before their bunker/sandy area alterations were made.
Such data might make interesting analysis as upkeep and maintenance take time and costs money and I’m far from convinced how much those in charge at member run clubs realise this.

Atb

I am told these waste areas help increase biodiversity. To some degree, so long as the work is being marketed as such, this is part of being a good steward of the land. The reputation of golf is such that it needs positive pr. So long as its affordable, its good that some visitor money is ploughed back into the land as a separate entity to the course. There are various agencies which help fund this sort of work. Burnham is funded now and again to remove buckthorn etc and re-establish marram covered dunes.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 04:36:51 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Niall C

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2021, 07:31:09 AM »
Sean

Spot on. There is not enough awareness among the general public about the environmental benefits of golf in terms of providing valuable green space in built up areas, the biodiversity benefits etc. As you say, clubs work with the various agencies and get funding; the R&A try and promote it but it doesn't get much air-time. And then a Balmedie or an Embo comes along and any public perception of golf being good for the environment gets blown out of the water unfortunately.

Niall

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2021, 08:26:05 AM »

Atb

I am told these waste areas help increase biodiversity. To some degree, so long as the work is being marketed as such, this is part of being a good steward of the land. The reputation of golf is such that it needs positive pr. So long as its affordable, its good that some visitor money is ploughed back into the land as a separate entity to the course. There are various agencies which help fund this sort of work. Burnham is funded now again to remove buckthorn etc and re-establish marram covered dunes.

Ciao

I’m still not 100% sold that removing the pioneering grasses and vegetation to expose open sand increases biodiversity. It certainly decreases aspects. I do know however that this approach is being promoted by the STRI so I could be talking out of turn.

Regardless, the open sand on many of these courses is being introduced as much as an aesthetic and because that is one of the drivers, the locations are not always the natural ones where you would expect to see blowouts etc. I remain unconvinced, either by the premise or by the execution. They are far too “obvious” and often incongruous with the rest of the landscape.

But If this is genuinely creating positive PR outside the golf industry then great. All I see is the PR within.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 08:51:12 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Sean_A

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2021, 07:32:30 PM »

Atb

I am told these waste areas help increase biodiversity. To some degree, so long as the work is being marketed as such, this is part of being a good steward of the land. The reputation of golf is such that it needs positive pr. So long as its affordable, its good that some visitor money is ploughed back into the land as a separate entity to the course. There are various agencies which help fund this sort of work. Burnham is funded now again to remove buckthorn etc and re-establish marram covered dunes.

Ciao

I’m still not 100% sold that removing the pioneering grasses and vegetation to expose open sand increases biodiversity. It certainly decreases aspects. I do know however that this approach is being promoted by the STRI so I could be talking out of turn.

Regardless, the open sand on many of these courses is being introduced as much as an aesthetic and because that is one of the drivers, the locations are not always the natural ones where you would expect to see blowouts etc. I remain unconvinced, either by the premise or by the execution. They are far too “obvious” and often incongruous with the rest of the landscape.

But If this is genuinely creating positive PR outside the golf industry then great. All I see is the PR within.

Ally

I guess I take the view that gorse and crappy vegetation clagging up uncut areas of a course are incongruous with the landscape. I am especially keen on cutting back gorse & buckthorn. The sandy wastes may look odd when new, but its a damn sight better than a sea of rubbish. My far bigger concern for this type of maintenance is if clubs have the will to continue with the upkeep. But then, not controlling gorse has led to problems on some links. Yes, the sandy areas are probably being used more for aesthtetic reasons (and they do look much better imo), but agronomically it is better than gorse which can encourage broadleaf grasses to grow. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 04:30:41 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

Re: ROYAL PORTHCAWL GC: 2021-22 Winter Tour
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2022, 10:40:28 AM »
The Winter Tour made a belated stop at Porthcawl. After visiting the course for a few decades now, I must admit that Porthcawl is growing on me. I have never been an overzealous fan of the course, but I am struggling to see any serious weaknesses which come close to offsetting positives. The only hesitancy I have is with the set of par 5s. The 5th has been much improved with added bunkers. The 8th was already a good hole. The 12th & 17th are not holes I like very much and they are somewhat similar off the tee. However, they are okay holes. On the flip side, the short holes are of a very high quality with the 14th being one of the better par 3s in GB&I.  Like any great course, the meat of the matter is in the par 4s and on this score Porthcawl is outstanding. All bar the 6th are very good and some holes such as 9 & 15 are among the best in the land.  The restoration of Simpson bunkers on 15 is especially pleasing. There is no shying away from matter, Porthcawl is a very special.  Please see the significantly updated tour.

Previous Stops on the Tour

Seaton Carew New
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,70404.msg1693517.html#msg1693517

Cleeve Hill
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49796.0.html

Minch Old
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48765.75.html

Scheduled Stops for the Tour

Hunstanton
Brancaster
Muirfield
Goswick
Renaissance
North Berwick

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 01:37:03 AM by Sean_A »

Jeff Schley

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2022, 02:23:17 PM »
The Winter Tour made a belated stop at Porthcawl. After visiting the course for a few decades now, I must admit that Porthcawl is growing on me. I have never been an overzealous fan of the course, but I am struggling to see any serious weaknesses of the course. The only hesitancy I have is with ther set of par 5s. The 5th has been much improved with added bunkers. The 8th was already a good hole. The 12th & 17th are not holes I like very much and they are somewhat similar off the tee. However, they are okay holes. On the flip side, the short holes are of a very high quality with the 14th being one of the better par 3s in GB&I.  Like any great course, the meat of the matter is in the par 4s and on this score Porthcawl is outstanding. All bar the 6th are very good and some holes such as 9 & 15 are among the best in the land.  There is no shying away from matter, Porthcawl is very special.  Please see the significantly updated tour.

Seaton Carew New
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,70404.msg1693517.html#msg1693517

Cleeve Hill

Minch Old

Hunstanton
Brancaster
Muirfield
Goswick
Renaissance
North Berwick

Ciao
Sean what is your typical layered gear for winter golf.  I'm assuming it is some type of layered heat with waterproof exterior clothing. What is your go to winter gear?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Sean_A

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2022, 03:36:53 PM »
The Winter Tour made a belated stop at Porthcawl. After visiting the course for a few decades now, I must admit that Porthcawl is growing on me. I have never been an overzealous fan of the course, but I am struggling to see any serious weaknesses of the course. The only hesitancy I have is with ther set of par 5s. The 5th has been much improved with added bunkers. The 8th was already a good hole. The 12th & 17th are not holes I like very much and they are somewhat similar off the tee. However, they are okay holes. On the flip side, the short holes are of a very high quality with the 14th being one of the better par 3s in GB&I.  Like any great course, the meat of the matter is in the par 4s and on this score Porthcawl is outstanding. All bar the 6th are very good and some holes such as 9 & 15 are among the best in the land.  There is no shying away from matter, Porthcawl is very special.  Please see the significantly updated tour.

Seaton Carew New

Cleeve Hill

Minch Old

Hunstanton
Brancaster
Muirfield
Goswick
Renaissance
North Berwick

Ciao
Sean what is your typical layered gear for winter golf.  I'm assuming it is some type of layered heat with waterproof exterior clothing. What is your go to winter gear?

Strange question!

Don't wear a rain top unless it's raining. Often don't wear rain bottoms regardless.

1st layer long sleeve polo
2nd layer short sleeve 1/4 zip polyester
If very cold 3rd layer thin wool jumper
3/4th layer long sleeve 1/4 zip polyester

Today was about 45F with 10mphish wind...three layers

Ciao

Ben Stephens

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2022, 10:46:49 AM »
Sean,

Having played Porthcawl in October the course has massively improved in tying up short cut grass from around the green surrounds to the next tee and getting rid of artificial paths into much wider closely mown grasses by the tee and linking it up to the fairway it looks so much more natural and flows better with marram grass on each side.

I agree with you in regards to the par 5's. From the aerial it looks like the chipping green at the rear of the 17th and hidden from view easily could be the 17th green and from people i played with were in awe of that green rather than the current 17th.

Cheers
Ben

Sean_A

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2022, 04:47:58 AM »
Sean,

Having played Porthcawl in October the course has massively improved in tying up short cut grass from around the green surrounds to the next tee and getting rid of artificial paths into much wider closely mown grasses by the tee and linking it up to the fairway it looks so much more natural and flows better with marram grass on each side.

I agree with you in regards to the par 5's. From the aerial it looks like the chipping green at the rear of the 17th and hidden from view easily could be the 17th green and from people i played with were in awe of that green rather than the current 17th.

Cheers
Ben

I don't mind the current green. The idea is good, but the execution is wanting. The fairway doesn't extend to the right far enough to flank the left bunker and be able to hit up the slope of the green. Approaches get shoved right by the slope and there is no way to avoid this except play from the rough.

Ciao

Thomas Dai

« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2023, 08:40:24 AM »
In view of where the British Seniors Open is being played this week seems appropriate to bump this thread.
atb

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2023, 01:58:07 PM »
Confused I was. Of course they are starting on 18 and finishing on 17.

Interesting to review my earlier comments on this thread. Had my 4th visit a month ago. Great course and the Dormy experience this time was mot agreeable.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

Re: ROYAL PORTHCAWL GC: 2021-22 Winter Tour New
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2023, 11:16:43 AM »
Iffy weather for the 4th round of the 2023 British Men’s Seniors at RPGC. Splendid!
Atb

Later edit - a YouTube piece by the green staff involved in the 2023 British Seniors Open - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ-KvHxNXHo&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 05:29:35 PM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back