News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Cavalier

Re: Manufacturers Golf and Country Club...what took me so long?
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2024, 09:31:15 PM »
Mannies is terrific.  Here's a few photos for those who haven't been.  The 8th, 11th and 16th holes are standouts, but the whole course is outstanding.  If you are coming to Philly, MGCG should be a place you're looking to play.

Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2024, 01:37:56 AM »
Some history:
https://www.mg-cc.org/history
Some history with more pics:
https://golfadelphia.com/2019/03/18/manufacturers-golf-and-country-club/
And The charter of the Manufacturers’ Country Club was granted in Montgomery County Court on October 8,1923. The by-laws called for nine directors. The original board members were: John Fisler, George M. Bridgeman (also one of the founding members of Cedarbrook), J. D. C. Henderson, Charles J. Webb, William H. Folwell, E. A. Weihenmayer, Charles J. Miller, Fredrick M. Devlin, and Leon Goodman. The other six original subscribers were A. M. McBurney, Charles L. Gililand, Percival E. Foerderer, Edward C. Dearden, Walter D. Larzelere, and William H. Richardson. Among the prominent early members were Ellis Gimbel (Philmont’s patriarch), Jules Mastbaum (Mastbaum Theatre), John D. Shibe (Shibe Park), and George W. Sigel (center-city restaurateur and father of Helen Sigel Wilson).

Probably the first " mixed membership" club in the some of the names mentioned above with Jules Mastbaum, Ellis Gimbel & Leon Goodman.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill Crane

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2024, 12:59:37 PM »
Manny is just charming; and no pushover, there is generally more going on than meets the eye at first.  Perhaps that is true with many Flynn designs.

Jon Cavalier ~   you're photos also illustrate another classic Philly feature on display at Manny  -   Quarries !   Just think how many "Old Stoney" homes were built with stone quarried on site.  Probably the clubhouse - which is also charming.

Tom Doak posted remarkably positive comments about Manny in the Confidential Guide,  especially when comparing it to higher rated clubs in the area.

There is almost a parallel to be drawn there between Manny and  Elie.    Elie with no par 5s and only two par threes and Manny with 5 par threes.    Elie with the periscope and Manny with the funicular.    Both courses receiving glowing comments from Mr.  Doak.

Joe Bausch

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

mike_malone

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2024, 02:30:31 PM »
Manny is just charming; and no pushover, there is generally more going on than meets the eye at first.  Perhaps that is true with many Flynn designs.

Jon Cavalier ~   you're photos also illustrate another classic Philly feature on display at Manny  -   Quarries !   Just think how many "Old Stoney" homes were built with stone quarried on site.  Probably the clubhouse - which is also charming.

Tom Doak posted remarkably positive comments about Manny in the Confidential Guide,  especially when comparing it to higher rated clubs in the area.

There is almost a parallel to be drawn there between Manny and  Elie.    Elie with no par 5s and only two par threes and Manny with 5 par threes.    Elie with the periscope and Manny with the funicular.    Both courses receiving glowing comments from Mr.  Doak.

Bill,

What was the Doak Scale #?
AKA Mayday

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2024, 03:17:24 PM »
see the " confidential guide"   both tied as 7's
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

mike_malone

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2024, 03:44:18 PM »
I think 7 is a great number. It usually contains less well known but great courses.
AKA Mayday

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2024, 10:09:59 AM »
I think 7 is a great number. It usually contains less well known but great courses.

The joint in Newtown Square is a 6. 
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back