News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Amarnek

I just returned from Philadelphia where I brought a few buddies from St. Louis to play over there for the first time.  We played Gulph Mills, Philly Cricket (Wissahickon and St. Martin's (with hickories)), Manufacturers, and Merion East.  As a native Philadelphian, I've played many courses in the area, but never Manufacturers.  I loved it.  The vista when you drive up to the clubhouse was fantastic.  I was somewhat reminded of Huntingdon Valley for the topography.  The short quarry hole was a gem, as were all the par 3s.  A great variety of par 4s with several strategic creeks were in play.  I can't wait to return and wonder why it took me so long to get over there.

Highly recommend it to those going to Philly!

mike_malone

Re: Manufacturers Golf and Country Club...what took me so long?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 10:33:09 AM »
A Flynn only trip to Philly is recommended. If you don’t want to venture out to the great Lancaster and Lehigh substitute Woodcrest and Green Valley to go with the strong group of Mannies, Huntingdon Valley, Philly Country, and Rolling Green.
AKA Mayday

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 11:27:16 AM »
Which green did you play on 18?

Enjoy the ride?

« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 11:29:20 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 11:47:49 AM »
   I’ve probably played Manufacturers 50 times. Never played the upper par 5 green.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 11:57:14 AM »
What do you do then, Jim? Just walk/ride to the clubhouse?

Much more fun to whack a short iron up the hill first, especially if it doesn't break any windows.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 02:00:31 PM »
Beside the terrific golf course, clubhouse, and atmosphere Bob Fritz the longtime pro who ascended to the Director of Golf is a huge asset to the club. I don’t remember meeting a more gracious golf course professional.

David Amarnek

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2024, 04:30:49 PM »
Tommy,
We played the lower green.  I was told by our host (who is a physician) that years ago a number of members had a cardiac arrest going up that hill and died.  Flynn must have been a bit of a sadist.

David Amarnek

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2024, 05:24:24 PM »
OT:
Speaking of Flynn courses, there's a number available on the Member for a Day charity auction benefitting the William Flynn Foundation.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2024, 11:46:36 AM »
Agree, David. Mannies is a spectacular golf course and among the finest set of par threes in eastern PA. Also wonderful half par holes.

Great work by Jim Nagle to continue opening up views of the remarkable topography. Recent work on 11 in particular.

The other thing about Mannies is that the broad gradual rise of the slope on the south side of the property allows for great sidehill lies without mimicking the feeling of the more abrupt slopes at Lancaster, Rolling Green and Lehigh.

Wonderful place.

mike_malone

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2024, 03:02:00 PM »
Agree, David. Mannies is a spectacular golf course and among the finest set of par threes in eastern PA. Also wonderful half par holes.

Great work by Jim Nagle to continue opening up views of the remarkable topography. Recent work on 11 in particular.

The other thing about Mannies is that the broad gradual rise of the slope on the south side of the property allows for great sidehill lies without mimicking the feeling of the more abrupt slopes at Lancaster, Rolling Green and Lehigh.

Wonderful place.

Rory,

I’m not sure if it is 12 but a par four hole
in that area is a classic Flynn that runs along the slope instead of up the hill.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2024, 03:09:31 PM »
David mentioned the par threes. I love 5 par threes because average golfers can approach the green more often. While 8 gets the love because of the quarry I believe that 6 is great and the two long par threes on the back are quintessential Flynn. One is up hill and the other is down hill with a significant right to left slope.
AKA Mayday

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2024, 02:17:14 PM »
I think you are referring to 14, Mike. Left to right slope the whole way

mike_malone

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2024, 02:49:38 PM »
I think you are referring to 14, Mike. Left to right slope the whole way

Thanks
AKA Mayday

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2024, 09:28:48 AM »
The best set of par threes around.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2024, 10:04:03 AM »
One of the wildest golf stories I have heard happened at Mannies, courtesy of Pete Trenham, PGA...Ed Dudley was struck by lightning on No. 18 during the Philly Open...and finished!

Full story: https://trenhamgolfhistory.org/2021/07/23/struck-by-lightning-at-the-philadelphia-open-ed-dudley-should-have-been-the-winner/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2024, 03:23:22 PM »

Mayday nearly had a coronary when he read this post. :)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

mike_malone

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2024, 07:05:01 PM »

I wouldn’t argue with that. I think it’s very close between Rolling Green and Mannies. They both have five par threes. I just think that the most ballyhooed one—8 is the weakest one since it has no choices.

AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2024, 08:18:25 PM »

I wouldn’t argue with that. I think it’s very close between Rolling Green and Mannies. They both have five par threes. I just think that the most ballyhooed one—8 is the weakest one since it has no choices.

Tell me how many choices there are at RG #6. Or RG #16? Both are aerial shots, just like the quarry hole at Mannies.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

mike_malone

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2024, 10:02:44 PM »

Tell me how many choices there are at RG #6. Or RG #16? Both are aerial shots, just like the quarry hole at Mannies.

For 6 it depends on the pin placement. Back right affords a shot over the right bunkers. Center suggests either straight at it or left to right shot. If the pin is front or back it may be a different club.

I think 8 at Mannies is likely not deep or wide enough to have other than one club to hit.

16 at Rolling Green is one of my favorite 1/2 shot holes anywhere. A front left pin versus a back right pin creates the most confusion. If back right you can hit it over the green if you go left with the chosen club. If front left a shot hit right likely lands in the angled bunker in front. Flynn uses angled greens and bunkers extensively at Rolling Green.

You need to play the course more!!
AKA Mayday

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2024, 09:39:05 AM »

So it makes you hit the shot that is required? I get you like options but the hole is kind of in your face. Here I am, come get me.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 10:48:50 AM by Ed Brzezowski »

D_Malley

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2024, 10:33:03 AM »
I thought the cable car (funicular) from 18 green to the clubhouse was one of the most unique things I have ever seen on a golf course. Then I saw this golf course in New Zealand has the exact same thing.

Rangatira Golf Club

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1Cx4XWPTKZ/?igsh=ZWRvczNkdjE2MXV5

« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 10:45:38 AM by D_Malley »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2024, 11:38:04 AM »
Not to threadjack, or continue the TJ, but Indian Valley Golf Club in Marin County, CA has a funicular as well.  A friend gave me a tour a couple of years ago.

https://youtu.be/o4oiguX15Xk?si=XJbVAEfcI56Q0Gmo
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jason Thurman

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2024, 12:31:14 PM »
Options are great, but sometimes a course should just ask the golfer to hit a shot that's worth a damn. Especially if the shot is 110 yards to a perfectly sited and ridiculously attractive green complex with all sorts of varied and gnarly recoveries on offer for the player who misses it.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2024, 02:52:21 PM »
Options are great, but sometimes a course should just ask the golfer to hit a shot that's worth a damn. Especially if the shot is 110 yards to a perfectly sited and ridiculously attractive green complex with all sorts of varied and gnarly recoveries on offer for the player who misses it.

Exactly!

mike_malone

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2024, 03:58:08 PM »
I like 8 at Mannies. I just think that people are affected by things beyond the play of the hole to judge a hole. Being set in a quarry is neat.

I just prefer 6 as a more interesting play.

Different strokes for different folks as it relates to preferring penal versus strategic play. I don’t think one is better than the other but I prefer options.

Certainly anyone should play Mannies and make up their own mind. It’s a fine course.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back