News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: WayOT. Why have dues at Augusta National?
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2024, 12:38:00 PM »
I have been given many Augusta shirts and hats as Christmas presents. I have neither played the course nor attended the Masters. I just can't bring myself to wear them. It seems cheating.
You've probably been given Masters shirts and hats, not Augusta shirts and hats. No?

I will wear my Masters gear, because I've been to the Masters. I will wear my ANGC hat… to my daughter's college event that takes place during Masters week, because a friend of Arnold Palmer's bought it for me.

Those in the know can spot the difference. (It's not like it's hard, I'm just saying those who know will recognize that it's not the Masters logo.)

Really........

Rob, I have both Masters and ANGC shirts from friends who have attended the Masters and played the course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rob Marshall

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2024, 03:26:16 PM »
I have been given many Augusta shirts and hats as Christmas presents. I have neither played the course nor attended the Masters. I just can't bring myself to wear them. It seems cheating.
You've probably been given Masters shirts and hats, not Augusta shirts and hats. No?

I will wear my Masters gear, because I've been to the Masters. I will wear my ANGC hat… to my daughter's college event that takes place during Masters week, because a friend of Arnold Palmer's bought it for me.

Those in the know can spot the difference. (It's not like it's hard, I'm just saying those who know will recognize that it's not the Masters logo.)

Really........

Rob, I have both Masters and ANGC shirts from friends who have attended the Masters and played the course.

Tommy, My "Really" was directed at the poster who thought he needed to explain to you there was a difference between Augusta National and Masters gear and tell everyone where he got his and when he wears it.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Lou_Duran

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2024, 05:12:51 PM »
I'm still amazed anyone cares what anyone wears, where it came from, and whether or not they attended the event, or played the course.
Seriously.  When it comes to shirts, hats, headcovers, etc, etc, etc...do what makes you happy.  Life is too short for this stuff.

I know for sure that I've identified a real golfer when I see that he is wearing three or more logoed items of clothing from top 50 courses and displays 10 or more guest tags on his bag.  Courtesy of Mike Nuzzo, I've worn out my treasured Mira Vista hat in tan with "Golf Course Maintenance" embroidered on the side in deep green.  My black GolfClubAtlas hat is one of my favorites; ditto for my GCA tee shirt courtesy of George Pazin with Monterrey (CA) misspelled, a true collector's item (it is now a rag from overuse).

As to ANGC's dues, I have it from an unimpeachable source that two members were seen laughing about a potential dues increase.  I have to think that anyone not desiring to play the course has something going on which has little to do with golf.

mike_malone

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2024, 06:29:03 PM »
I'm still amazed anyone cares what anyone wears, where it came from, and whether or not they attended the event, or played the course.
Seriously.  When it comes to shirts, hats, headcovers, etc, etc, etc...do what makes you happy.  Life is too short for this stuff.

I know for sure that I've identified a real golfer when I see that he is wearing three or more logoed items of clothing from top 50 courses and displays 10 or more guest tags on his bag.  Courtesy of Mike Nuzzo, I've worn out my treasured Mira Vista hat in tan with "Golf Course Maintenance" embroidered on the side in deep green.  My black GolfClubAtlas hat is one of my favorites; ditto for my GCA tee shirt courtesy of George Pazin with Monterrey (CA) misspelled, a true collector's item (it is now a rag from overuse).

As to ANGC's dues, I have it from an unimpeachable source that two members were seen laughing about a potential dues increase.  I have to think that anyone not desiring to play the course has something going on which has little to do with golf.

Someday you’ll have your Pine Valley guest bag tag!!
AKA Mayday

Jim Tang

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2024, 09:44:53 AM »
I generally wouldn't wear a logo of a course where I haven't at least been on the grounds or hadn't played it.

On the other hand, lots of sports fans wear their team's jersey or hats without ever having actually attended a game in the stadium. So, maybe wearing logos of courses you've not seen or played is kind of like that. Maybe you're just a fan of the club.

To each their own. Do what makes you happy.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2024, 03:30:53 PM »

Someday you’ll have your Pine Valley guest bag tag!!

Then I'll only need nine more to be identified as a real golfer.

Still working on LI.  My contact is just not around enough, but I'm confident that it will happen, just a matter of when.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2024, 04:12:25 PM »
I have a friend who has never played a round of golf or watched any golf on TV. He has several golf hats and shirts from famous courses that he purchased at a local thrift shop. I played wiffle ball with him on Wednesday. He was wearing a Bandon Dunes hat and a Medalist Golf Club (Hobe Sound, FL) shirt.

Ken Moum

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2024, 05:12:08 PM »
I have a friend who has never played a round of golf or watched any golf on TV. He has several golf hats and shirts from famous courses that he purchased at a local thrift shop. I played wiffle ball with him on Wednesday. He was wearing a Bandon Dunes hat and a Medalist Golf Club (Hobe Sound, FL) shirt.

Yeah, I have a Scottsdale National I bought at Goodwill, and I'm pretty sure Parsons isn't inviting me out any time soon.  (although I would like to play the Bad Little Nine once.)
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2024, 10:04:29 PM »
On the other hand, lots of sports fans wear their team's jersey or hats without ever having actually attended a game in the stadium. So, maybe wearing logos of courses you've not seen or played is kind of like that. Maybe you're just a fan of the club.

Definitely think that's the case for Masters logo stuff.  People have masters themed parties and such where even non-golf fans will attend.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back