News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Felton

Re: WayOT. Why have dues at Augusta National?
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2024, 06:56:47 PM »
That said, you definitely see people walking out carrying four or five big bags full of merchandise. Last year I heard one of the cashiers telling someone else they'd rung up somebody at just over $17k earlier that day.

Someone tweeted that the most a single person had bought in one go was just north of $30k. They'd apparently asked about that in the shop.

As to what Augusta spends the money on, I wonder how much they invest in the Masters app. Either it's incredibly expensive or every other golf tournament app needs to pull their socks up. It's so much better than anything else.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2024, 10:12:05 PM »
That said, you definitely see people walking out carrying four or five big bags full of merchandise. Last year I heard one of the cashiers telling someone else they'd rung up somebody at just over $17k earlier that day.

Someone tweeted that the most a single person had bought in one go was just north of $30k. They'd apparently asked about that in the shop.

As to what Augusta spends the money on, I wonder how much they invest in the Masters app. Either it's incredibly expensive or every other golf tournament app needs to pull their socks up. It's so much better than anything else.
I am not sure that they spend anything on the app as it is done "in partnership with IBM" this may be paid for by them and it also shows links to sponsors like AT&T, Mercedes and IBM.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2024, 10:28:41 PM »
I heard that the merchandise tent does 70million.

I do not have any first-hand knowledge, but it is my understanding that some folks buy everything they can carry, bring it to the car, and then do it all over again and again. Once they get it all home, they sell it online.

That would be quite a trick as they only let you leave and come back in thru the gates one time a day....

John_Cullum

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2024, 12:56:06 PM »
I heard that the merchandise tent does 70million.

I do not have any first-hand knowledge, but it is my understanding that some folks buy everything they can carry, bring it to the car, and then do it all over again and again. Once they get it all home, they sell it online.

That would be quite a trick as they only let you leave and come back in thru the gates one time a day....

I haven't been in a couple of years, but they used to have bag check stands where you could leave your stuff and pick up later.
Raynor was a hack

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2024, 04:06:58 PM »
Being able to ship via UPS means no need to go to the car or lug stuff around. A godsend.

The TV deal with CBS is effectively a time-buy. Augusta finds the sponsors, tells CBS and ESPN when it can come on the air, pays the production costs and likely a little more, and puts the rest into the production, which includes the massive on-line coverage. The real TV rights money comes from Japan and Europe.

In Canada, CTV/TSN have the rights, and I don't know what they pay, but TSN is allowed to carry the online coverage on its multiple cable channels. That's something ESPN would love to do but cannot.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Anthony Butler

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2024, 05:16:44 PM »

As far as the club's investment in the Masters app, it has been outsourced to IBM from its inception. That relationship was originated between IBM and former club chairman Billy Payne when he was the CEO of the Atlanta Olympic Games  in '96 and IBM created the first Games website. As everyone who watches the Masters telecast knows, IBM is one of the three major corporate sponsors of The Masters (along with AT&T and Mercedes) and has been for over 30 years. IBM gets suggested 'improvements' back from the Tournament committee just like CBS receives every year... The Play-by-Play for each competitor with video accessible for each shot is one new innovation we developed with the IBM Events team and was introduced around 2015/16 if memory serves correctly. One thing I will say about ANGC is that for a club steeped in 'tradition' they are lot more open to technology innovation than the USGA who I also worked with while at IBM... perhaps not too surprising since Bill Gates is an ANGC member along with a couple of former and current IBM CEOs and few other tech titans.

IBM gets the right to bring customers onsite to experience their App Broadcast operations each year. It's a giant sales venue for IBM and as a result ANGC doesn't pay close to retail for delivery of the App. I don't know the exact dollars involved and I was smart enough to never ask any exec from IBM or ANGC member about it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 11:51:03 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2024, 12:45:44 AM »
Q:Why have dues at Augusta National?
A: Because they can. Money is not an issue for them.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kyle Harris

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2024, 07:11:35 AM »
I've managed about 30 years playing golf in a fulfilling and satisfactory manner without ever having the urge to wear one piece of Augusta National or Masters logoed clothing.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2024, 10:56:47 AM »
I've managed about 30 years playing golf in a fulfilling and satisfactory manner without ever having the urge to wear one piece of Augusta National or Masters logoed clothing.

I have been given many Augusta shirts and hats as Christmas presents. I have neither played the course nor attended the Masters. I just can't bring myself to wear them. It seems cheating.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

jeffwarne

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2024, 05:34:40 PM »

I have been given many Augusta shirts and hats as Christmas presents. I have neither played the course nor attended the Masters. I just can't bring myself to wear them. It seems cheating.

Say it ain't so...
You gotta go once.
Let me know when you do and I will give you a personal tour
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ira Fishman

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2024, 05:53:14 PM »

50 plus years for me. It may be the "highest rated" course that I have the least desire to play despite probably being able to weasel my way on.

Ira

PS And I truly enjoy watching the Masters.

Tim Martin

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2024, 08:19:58 PM »
50 plus years for me. It may be the "highest rated" course that I have the least desire to play despite probably being able to weasel my way on.
Ira

Ira-Is your desire to play dampened because of the difficulty, the many architectural changes made over the years or maybe something else?

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2024, 08:57:00 PM »

I'm a fairly frugal person and managed to spend nearly $1000 and it wasn't because prices were absurd.  Plenty of people wanted gifts.  Also not sure I'll ever get back.

I did ask at checkout one time what the most they'd seen on a bill and was told they aren't allowed to say.  $30k honestly doesn't really surprise me.  The logistics of the various merchandise locations was really impressive and when you walk out of the shop and right to a shipping location, I assume lots of holiday and birthday gifts are purchased in Augusta in April.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2024, 11:16:17 PM »
You've probably been given Masters shirts and hats, not Augusta shirts and hats. No?

I will wear my Masters gear, because I've been to the Masters. I will wear my ANGC hat… to my daughter's college event that takes place during Masters week, because a friend of Arnold Palmer's bought it for me.

Those in the know can spot the difference. (It's not like it's hard, I'm just saying those who know will recognize that it's not the Masters logo.)
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2024, 06:19:41 PM »
You've probably been given Masters shirts and hats, not Augusta shirts and hats. No?

I will wear my Masters gear, because I've been to the Masters. I will wear my ANGC hat… to my daughter's college event that takes place during Masters week, because a friend of Arnold Palmer's bought it for me.

Those in the know can spot the difference. (It's not like it's hard, I'm just saying those who know will recognize that it's not the Masters logo.)

Really........
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Bill Seitz

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2024, 11:38:12 PM »

I honestly don't understand the desire to wear a shirt or a hat from a club or event that I haven't attended.  Maybe it's different if you have a friend or family member that went to the Masters, or played Shinnecock, and bought you some piece of apparel.  At least you have a story with a connection.  But if you're walking around in a Masters hat and someone asks "oh, what year did you go", are you really going to say "Oh, I didn't go, I bought it from some rando who raided the merchandise building."

Rob Marshall

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2024, 08:37:09 AM »

I honestly don't understand the desire to wear a shirt or a hat from a club or event that I haven't attended.  Maybe it's different if you have a friend or family member that went to the Masters, or played Shinnecock, and bought you some piece of apparel.  At least you have a story with a connection.  But if you're walking around in a Masters hat and someone asks "oh, what year did you go", are you really going to say "Oh, I didn't go, I bought it from some rando who raided the merchandise building."

I do have a Masters pullover that was given to me as a gift not purchased from some "rando who raided the merchandise tent". I wear it. NOT one time has anyone ever asked be what year I went to the Masters. Funny because I do also have a shirt from Shinnecock. Another gift from a friend who played the course. I've played Pebble, bought a shirt, wear it, again not ONE person has ever asked me when I played the course. I honestly don't understand the desire not to wear something given to you as a gift. I also wear a crucifix but I've never met Jesus.........
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 08:38:47 AM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

jeffwarne

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2024, 08:47:56 AM »
I'm still amazed anyone cares what anyone wears, where it came from, and whether or not they attended the event, or played the course.
I remember in the late 1970's my parents attended a wedding at Westchester CC, and brought me home a mint green shirt-my first contact with a PGA Tour event besides The Masters.
(What a sad statement about the PGA Tour that they don't play there anymore)
I proudly wore that thing out, usually with green plaid flared pants(maybe someone SHOULD have guided me better on that outfit)
I remember leaving that mint green treasure in the bedroom of one of our "hostesses"(those were the days) at a high school event, and being willing to do the hour drive followed by the walk of shame back to her house to retrieve it from her.(luckily she answered the door and not her parents)

edit: I mean it was my "lucky shirt" after all..

« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 09:10:34 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brian Finn

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2024, 08:59:08 AM »
I'm still amazed anyone cares what anyone wears, where it came from, and whether or not they attended the event, or played the course.
Seriously.  When it comes to shirts, hats, headcovers, etc, etc, etc...do what makes you happy.  Life is too short for this stuff.
New for '24: Monifieth, Montrose, Panmure, Carnoustie, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2024, 11:30:33 AM »
I think deep down we all have suppressed 10 year-old, Lord of the Flies stuff going on and just want to be apart of the group.

P.S. I've got a Masters practice round on my bucket list too, but I just really really want to see greens like 1, 5, and 14 up close for myself.  ;) 

Tim Martin

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2024, 12:20:24 PM »
Seriously.  When it comes to shirts, hats, headcovers, etc, etc, etc...do what makes you happy.  Life is too short for this stuff.

It doesn’t matter to me what anyone wears but I would rather not have someone say “Hey that’s a cool hat. What did you think of (insert course here)” and I reply “Oh I haven’t played. I won it in a raffle.” As far as carrying a logo golf bag from a private club where I’m not a member I’d rather eat worms. ::)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 12:48:31 PM by Tim Martin »

Brian Finn

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2024, 02:15:00 PM »
It doesn’t matter to me what anyone wears but I would rather not have someone say “Hey that’s a cool hat. What did you think of (insert course here)” and I reply “Oh I haven’t played. I won it in a raffle.” As far as carrying a logo golf bag from a private club where I’m not a member I’d rather eat worms. ::)
I feel similarly about those things, so I act accordingly, but what others wear/carry is very low on my list of concerns.
New for '24: Monifieth, Montrose, Panmure, Carnoustie, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin...

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2024, 02:50:22 PM »
Everyone do what you want on the logo-wear front. If a friend gets me a CPC hat, I'm going to wear it proudly. And if someone says, "what did you think of the course", I'll say, "it's on the bucket list!"
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Bill Seitz

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2024, 10:46:50 AM »
Everyone do what you want on the logo-wear front. If a friend gets me a CPC hat, I'm going to wear it proudly. And if someone says, "what did you think of the course", I'll say, "it's on the bucket list!"

No judgment here.  In the examples above, at least there's a friend/family connection to the merch.  I just don't get the idea of going on to eBay to buy Masters gear that you have no connection to.  Just seems weird to me, but I may be the weird one.  We have a bunch of concert posters in our house, but I won't hang concert poster from a show I didn't go to.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2024, 10:54:51 AM »

No judgment here.  In the examples above, at least there's a friend/family connection to the merch.  I just don't get the idea of going on to eBay to buy Masters gear that you have no connection to.  Just seems weird to me, but I may be the weird one.  We have a bunch of concert posters in our house, but I won't hang concert poster from a show I didn't go to.

By and large I agree Bill. That said, if there's some nice-looking Painswick merch online, I might just buy it before I ever get there.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back