News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

NIFTY 50 2022 New
« on: December 23, 2022, 03:20:39 PM »
I tend to care much more about what I like rather than what I think is best,  While it is wonderful to play the greats of the game, my tastes run more toward cheap, cheerful, distinctive terrain, good walk, f&f, quirky, lovely setting etc. More and more 9 holers are being added to the list as my tolerance for filler holes and holes to create a "total yardage" decreases.  Yet none of that matters much if the quality of design isn't present and so this must be the #1 priority.  However, quality doesn't necessarily mean among the best in the world, country or state.  There is plenty of praise worthy golf which doesn't make top 100 lists.  That said, there will inevitably be some cross over of best and favourites. 

The Nifty 50 was last updated 3 years ago. A ton of courses have dropped off the list usually for two reasons; price hikes or I played courses I like more. Its rare that a course will drop off the list because I like it less than previously.

The courses in red are those I currently consider among the top 50 best of GB&I. 

The courses in blue are non-GB&I courses that I think are of similar quality to top 50 best of GB&I.

Kington
Palmetto, SC   
Castlerock Bann, Ireland
Cleeve Hill   
Reigate Heath   
Cavendish   
Eagle Springs, WIS
Alnmouth Village   
Gullane #3   
Welshpool, Wales   
Aiken, SC 
Culver Academies, IN
Moray New   
Church Stretton, England 
Lederach, PA 
Reddish Vale   
Perranporth   
Royal Porthcawl   
Old Town, NC   
Corballis Links, Ireland   
Appleby, England   
Minchinhampton Old Course   
North Berwick   
Pulborough   
Lakewood Shores Gailes, MI
Otway, Ireland   
Leckford Old, England
Silloth on Solway   
Bull Bay, Wales   
Covesea Links, Scotland   
Seacroft   
Seaton Carew Micklem   
Painswick   
Beverley, England   
RAC Old Course   
Rosapenna St Pats   
Cruden Bay
Pinehurst #2, NC   
Royal Dornoch   
St Enodoc   
St Andrews New   
Northamptonshire Co   
Southerndown   
Westward Ho!   
The Island   
Hardelot Les Pins, France
Lawsonia Links, WIS
West Cornwall   
Players Club Stranahan, England

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 03:01:09 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Kalen Braley

Re: NIFTY 50 2022
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 03:34:27 PM »
Sean,

Looks like a terrific list, certainly a handful of those are on my wish list.  Although seems a bit odd Pinehurst #2 is on there given you've listed price sensitivity in two different places in your description.  Aren't peak rates north of $500 to play it now?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 03:53:02 PM »
A fine list. My tastes and sentiments are not undissimilar.
As a slight aside could I suggest that some of the best courses of this type are often the second courses at the usual big name venues.

Atb

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 04:25:31 PM »
my tastes run more toward cheap, cheerful, distinctive terrain, good walk, f&f, quirky, lovely setting etc....
Yet none of that matters much if the quality of design isn't present and so this must be the #1 priority...

Ciao

Sean,
I am of like mind regarding the first assertion quoted above.
Could you expand on "quality of design?"
How often have you encountered an interesting hole on an otherwise forgettable course?
Do you have an "over/under" number of good holes in your mind when you review the totality of a course?
Thanks.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 04:26:51 PM »
I didn't expect to see Bull Bay on your list. Only a few get there, and fewer appreciate it. It is a lovely course on a great piece of property. Nice to see RND as well.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 06:06:23 PM »
Sean, you are my go to guy - a GCA savant.  That said I will never get your love for Lederach.  Hopefully it is nothing nefarious.

Happy Holidays you Yankster!
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 08:13:47 PM »
Sean,

Looks like a terrific list, certainly a handful of those are on my wish list.  Although seems a bit odd Pinehurst #2 is on there given you've listed price sensitivity in two different places in your description.  Aren't peak rates north of $500 to play it now?

Pinehurst is crazy money, but is the one course at this level of expense which impresses me to no end. The front nine is one of the greatest 9 holes on the planet without compelling people to drink in the scenery. I haven't seen a championship course transformation which is in the same class as C&C's work on #2. No visual drama, no lost ball heroics...just classy golf a grandmother could play. Pinehurst suits my sensibilities.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 08:32:34 PM »
my tastes run more toward cheap, cheerful, distinctive terrain, good walk, f&f, quirky, lovely setting etc....
Yet none of that matters much if the quality of design isn't present and so this must be the #1 priority...

Ciao

Sean,
I am of like mind regarding the first assertion quoted above.
Could you expand on "quality of design?"
How often have you encountered an interesting hole on an otherwise forgettable course?
Do you have an "over/under" number of good holes in your mind when you review the totality of a course?
Thanks.

I don't play many forgettable courses, but perhaps one of my latest unusual holes examples was at Erewash Valley. Two criss-cross par 3s in a quarry.

The quality of design I guess is a "minimum" standard good course. Not approaching great, but much better than average.

I don't have a formula of good holes VS fillers to determine quality. I just feel it. For instance, I recently played sub average conditioned, short 9 holes Otway and well respected Malone. I think Otway has enough good holes of character, one great hole and an unusual layout to be more than a match for the ostensibly higher ranked, more conventional Malone. Its the difference between just about maximising the potential of a pretty site on a low budget costing 15 Euro all day VS leaving a ton on the table, despite a good site costing over 100 Euros a round. Otway wins hands down on charm and character. For me, charm and character equals good architecture. It's not just a feel good vibe, it's good architecture which creates the vibe.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 03:49:51 AM by Sean_A »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2022, 04:58:20 AM »
Hmmm.....

Since the point of these lists is to nitpick (where's the value in completre agreement), two points.

I can't see how this list can include Silloth and Seaton Carew but not Goswick.  There's a cigarette paper between Silloth and Goswick on quality (and I'm still not convinced Goswick doesn't nick it) and the price is pretty much the same.  Goswick is, in my opinion, better than Seaton Carew and, again, not much difference in price.

And where has Elie gone?  It can't be because the price has gone up, with what a round on the New Course now costs. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

Re: NIFTY 50 2022 New
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2022, 05:24:12 AM »
Goswick will be close, Happy 100. I agree with you that there is nothing quality wise between Goswick and Silloth. That said I know Goswick much better because it's a good stop off on the way to North Berwick. Have a game planned for July.

I like Seaton Carew's greens.

Elie is starting to get a bit pricey for me. Still, I think it's one of the sneaky best courses in Scotland. I still think it makes Happy 100, not sure. It wouldn't be far off if not. Too many 9 holers jumping on the list .

Merry Christmas
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 03:04:42 AM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2022, 06:03:22 AM »
Looking through Seans listing again I realise not only how many of the courses I’ve played but also how many of them I’ve played with hardly anyone else on the course.
There’s something delightful about playing golf without players in front or behind, no waiting, no delays, no being pushed, peace and tranquility, no chat from other fairways, listening to the birds, the sound of the sea, the wind, nearby animals etc.
Atb

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2022, 06:31:52 AM »
Thanks Sean.

Looking through Seans listing again I realise not only how many of the courses I’ve played but also how many of them I’ve played with hardly anyone else on the course.
There’s something delightful about playing golf without players in front or behind, no waiting, no delays, no being pushed, peace and tranquility, no chat from other fairways, listening to the birds, the sound of the sea, the wind, nearby animals etc.
Atb
Thomas, please share the names of those idyllic places. I'd love my first course overseas experience to match your description.
Peter

Sean Walsh

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2022, 03:32:52 AM »
In Melbourne Port Fairy and The Dunes make this list easily.

Good to see Alnmouth Village there and I second Mark’s support for Goswick

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2022, 04:09:52 AM »
In Melbourne Port Fairy and The Dunes make this list easily.

Good to see Alnmouth Village there and I second Mark’s support for Goswick

I recall you were very taken with Alnmouth Village!

Merry Christmas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back