News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Photo Tour - Chambers Bay - US Open Edition - 4th Hole New
« on: February 22, 2015, 06:24:06 PM »
Story so far...

US Open Changes

• Playing as a par 4 instead of a par 5 as it is for normal play. I will discuss more on this change in the body of this thread.
  • New green – this is one of the most extensive changes taken since the course opened. However, this is change was not made due for US Open purposes. The previous green had a narrow opening and was shaped in such way that the majority of traffic was routed through the front of the green. This caused heavy traffic in that area and created chronic maintenance issues. The new green is wider and has more room in the back that encourages more even wear. I fully endorse this change and you can argue that this change made this a better hole.

Drama

What makes a golf course “dramatic”? There are several obvious candidates; A majestic view of the ocean is inspiring to the soul and is ingrained in golf from its very origin, and a well-designed risk/reward strategy where the margin between joy and despair is razor thin can flutter hearts of golfers. However, I would argue no golf course architecture manufactures more drama than change in elevation.

Sailing along on a calm sea where you can see as far as the horizon allows lacks mystery and intrigue to engage your emotions. But a rough sea with heaving waves 20 feet tall, behind which hidden danger lies with every crash of the wake can generate emotions far beyond what your body may be capable of digesting.

Obviously, no golf course poses danger to the golfer beneath the shadows. However, our basic animal instincts take over when the rise and fall of the landscape hides things from our view and our brains wonder whether or not our surroundings are truly safe.

I am not suggesting that golf holes need 100 feet rise or fall to generate drama, but elevation change, to hide significant features from our view, and conversely, enough elevation to let you see all apparent dangers in front of you dials up drama quotient for almost any activity.

Tee Shot

The 4th Hole at Chamber Bay has enough drama to entertain you all day if you did nothing but play this hole. From the tee, the hole rises 50 feet+ to the slopes lining the east side of the course. The fairways heave and ho with sharp movements that are almost too severe. As if the fairway is not dramatic enough, the right side of the hole is lined by acres and acres of sand from tee to green that plays as treacherous as it looks.

The number one priority off the tee is to find a fairway. The hole will be playing close to 500 and the effective yardage is even longer than that since it is uphill all the way to the green. If you miss to the bunker on the right (A) or worse, rough to the left (D), you have almost no chance to reach the green in two.

While the landing area (C and B) is very wide, the effective width will be narrower as the fairway is bisected by a ridge that separates the high side from the low side almost all the way to the green. In the landing area the ridge is about 10 to 15 feet tall and any fade landing in the lower right half of the fairway (B) may roll across the fairway into the sand. You want to aim for the high landing zone (C) which should give you a great angle to the green.

Layup

This is a half par hole and where you layup if you miss the fairway is going to be very important as going at the green from 200+ yards where it is almost all carry is not going to be recommended.

If the lie is terrible from the rough (D) or sand (A), your best bet will be to get the ball to the low valley (E) just short of the neck. Any ball hit short of the neck will find its way down the ridge to this area, leaving you with a simple (but blind) 100 yard or so wedge to the pin, as long as you don’t find a divot, which there will be plenty.

If the lie is decent, most players will try to layup somewhere in the neck area (F, G) short of the green. This is a good place to layup as the back slope is steep and will prevent balls from going up in to the dunes and the rough. From here, you will have an open access to the green with variety of options for your chip shot to the green.

Approach

From the fairways, this is a pretty straightforward hole. If you are playing from the left side of the fairway, the ideal shot is a long iron/hybrid fade that will ride the high ridge in the front left of the green towards the pin. There is plenty of fairway short of the green that will allow you to bump and run the shot if you desire.

From the right side, the lie will be a bit more of a crap shoot as there is a lot of humps and hollows in this area. But there is a very good chance that you end up with a nice uphill lie to launch your ball to the green. And launch you will as, there is nothing but trouble between you and the green and it is a severe uphill shot that may require up to 2 extra clubs to carry.

Around The Green

If you go at the green and come up short, you are most likely to end up in the series of bunkers that protect the front side of the green (L). As long as you have a good lie (which is not given as a long approach have been known to plug in the face), this should be a relatively simple bunker shot as the green is severely tilted towards the bunker. The only problem is that the bunker is deep and you will be hitting a blind shot to mult-tiered green that requires deft touch.

If hitting a chip shot from the neck area, you have many more choices as you can fly it or bump it. In fact, if the pin is in the back right bowl (K), you may want to hit a long bump and run shot that rides the slope on the right (H) and roll it gently back towards the hole.

Most players will have no problem avoiding the back bunkers (M, N, O) as they are placed high above the green in the slope. However, if you do find yourself in these bunkers, your will be a very difficult chore of trying to leave the ball anywhere on the green as the green slopes sharply away from you. This is not where you want to see your ball end up.

Green

Please note that due to the green changes, the old green drawings are a bit out of date. I have added the expanded area roughly around the existing drawing and defined the ridge that bisects the front half of the green. This is very rough and I will try to get something better in the future.

The green is separated by four different areas. The most accessible pin position is in the front right bowl (J, 4). This will be where many shots will end up as it is the lowest area of the green. If you are putting to here from above (I, H), it will be very difficult to keep the ball on the green. I will not be surprised to see some putts roll off the green into the front bunker.

Putting in the back half of the green (I, H) will be tough as there will be very few straight uphill putts. There is severe left to right slope caused by the dunes in the back. A pin position close to the ridge (2, 3) will be even trickier as there is a slight back slope (towards the back of the green) from the middle ridge.

A pin in the right peninsula (K) will be most entertaining as it I defended by ridges and bunkers that completely surrounds it on all sides. Putting from the “Middle Bowl” (I) to here will be like a carnival ride as you can go high on the slope back of the H area back towards the lower bowl. This will be a very intimidating pin position for players.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:56:48 AM by Richard Choi »

Chris Mavros

Re: Photo Tour - Chambers Bay - US Open Edition - 4th Hole
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 09:09:05 PM »
The Fourth was one of the most memorable and probably my favorite hole at CB when I played it in the Summer of 2012.  The dramatic elevation change certainly was one of the main reasons, which created a lot of visual intimidation as I proceeded up the fairway.  I was one of the lucky ones, as others in my foursome ended up in the bunkers on the right, from which they didn't re appear for quite some time.  The view once you reach the green brought an added sense of satisfaction as well. 

Brent Carlson

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 02:17:20 PM »
There's a lot of strategy in this hole.  It can also be punitive for the slicer.  I like the hole, but do consider it a bit of a slog.  There's more elevation change than desired.  Good hole but far from the best at Chambers.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 03:25:09 PM »
A very comprehensive presentation. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Question - all the sandy areas - are they all 'bunkers' so no grounding the club? I'm thinking Dustin Johnson and Whistling Straits.

atb

Matthew Essig

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
A very comprehensive presentation. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Question - all the sandy areas - are they all 'bunkers' so no grounding the club? I'm thinking Dustin Johnson and Whistling Straits.

atb

The large sandy areas will play through the green. There will only be a handful of bunkers.

This IS NOT CONFIRMED YET. As you will see, there are a lot of undecided holes.

1 - 2 bunkers right of green.
2 - One right of green.
3 - One long of green.
4 - 3 long of green.
5 - One in front of green.
6 - Undecided.
7 - None.
8 - None.
9 - One long right.
10 - Undecided.
11 - None.
12 - One in front of green complex.
13 - Undecided.
14 - One in middle of fairway.
15 - Pot bunker left of green.
16 - One long left of green
17 - One short left of green
18 - Undecided (Likely chambers basement...)
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Scott Weersing

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 03:29:57 PM »
Is there a temp green for this hole? Where is the temp green for this hole?

I have not played the course with the new green as it was under construction when I played there in 2009.

Richard Choi

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 11:10:39 PM »
I have seen temp greens in two spots here. One in the neck area (F, G) and one in the collection area just before the neck (E). Both temp greens worked pretty well. I believe the greens are in rotation so it will depend on when you visit whether or not the temp green is being used for this hole.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 08:53:52 PM »
Richard,
It looks like many full approaches, 200 yd uphill, would be aimed at the high side of the green. Could you comment on the challenges to various parts of the green when you are in rough or sand on the left side of the green.

Richard Choi

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 10:22:24 PM »
What is amazing is that during US Am, Peter Uihlein was hitting driver-7 iron to get to the green. A 500 yard hole. Uphill. 7 iron.

If the pin is in the lower bowl, hitting the high side of the green would not be advisable. It would take some creativity just to leave the ball on the green. Downhill putts (across ridges) will be treacherous here. If the pin is in the lower bowl, it would safer to try to hit short of the green and let it run up. Even if you leave it a bit short, it would be easier to putt/chip from there than to putt downhill.

If the lie is decent, and I think chances for a decent lie is fairly good as the rough on the left side of the fairway is not as thick as it is on some other areas, being in the rough left of the fairway is not the end of the world. You have a pretty good angle to the green and with the lack of spin, you should be able to bump and run the ball into the green. Because of the steep slope on the high side of fairway and green, this is a pretty safe shot with a good deal of margin for error.

You get no such margin for error from the bunkers on the right. You won't get too many awkward lies here. Most balls around here roll towards fairly level area where you should have a good to fair lie. The problem is if you miss hit it just a tiny bit, your next shot is a complete crap shoot as there are soft sand and funky rough lies all over the place just short of the green.

Honestly, if you are a US Open caliber player, you really should not be missing the fairway here. It is pretty dang wide.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:27:52 PM by Richard Choi »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 10:35:13 PM »
so if you miss the green long or left, you're basically 'dead" more often than not?

Richard Choi

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 10:52:08 PM »
There are four areas within the green as I described above.

You can get to H and K areas okay from I, but you will have a hard time staying in J from H or K.

Anything long that end up in H will be dicey as you are going down pretty significantly to all other areas of the green. You can forget about staying on the green if you end up in any of the bunkers above the green.

You really need to keep you approach below or the same level as the pin. If you can bump and run, this is not that difficult. If you are relying on hitting it with a long iron, your margin for error will be significantly smaller.

Matthew Essig

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:13:17 AM by Matthew Essig »
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back