News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Link Walsh

Pinehurst 2014... how is this going to work?
« on: June 16, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »
I started thinking last night about Pinehurst in 2014.  While I think the novelty of hosting the Men's and Women's U.S. Opens on the same course in back to back weeks is interesting, I just don't see how the USGA will be able to pull it off.  Here are some thoughts:

1.  Course conditioning- by the end of U.S. Open week, the course is usually stressed to the limit.  Some of the shots on Olympic's fairways yesterday were running out so much that it almost reminded me of Shinnecock (and it's only Friday).  Obviously, they can cut the rough back, water the greens and let them grow out a little bit.  But does the USGA honestly think the course will be ready for practice rounds Monday morning for the ladies?   

Also, what about all those divot holes?  Think about #3 at Pinehurst for example where pretty much everyone would be coming in with a wedge.  I remember in 98 they talked a lot about the fact that the U.S. Open could come down to a lucky/ unlucky break on 18 at Olympic and whether a contender's drive ended up in a divot or not (maybe that will come up this year too).   The USGA's strategy of moving tees around can only help so much in terms of balls (and therefore divots) congregating in certain areas on the fairways.  So I can't see how this will work on some holes playing two consecutive tournaments on the same course.   

My main concern is course conditioning and whether the USGA will be able to present a fair challenge for the ladies on a course that was just beat up for a week by both the men and the fans.    The rest below are just other thoughts about the logistics themselves.

2.  Volunteers.  Southern Pines is not huge in terms of population.  Can they find enough local volunteers to run two back to back majors?  I don't know how many local volunteers a U.S. Open typically needs, so maybe someone with experience or insight into this matter can help with this question.

3.  Attendance.  Attending major golf championships are expensive and people only have so much money to spend on entertainment, travel, and leisure.  I assume the USGA typically puts up a lot more bleacher seats for a Men's Open than a Women's Open.  I doubt they would take some of these bleachers down in between the two tournaments.  So will smaller crowds for the Women's event look even paltrier in light of the thousands of empty bleacher seats?   

4.  What if there is an 18 hole playoff in the Men's Open?  That is one less day the women can practice on the course.

5.  I'm sure Johnny Miller will love this as he will be able to compare shots hit from one week to another ad nauseum.  But will the television audience grow tired of seeing the same course for 2 straight weeks?   

When the LPGA was contacted about this idea, they probably jumped on it thinking the Women's Open can ride the coattails of the Men's Open and get higher attendance, exposure, and ratings.  But I am just wondering if they really thought this decision through all the way.  Personally, I like watching some of the Women's U.S. Open as I feel like their overall game equates more to mine- i.e. no 200 yard 8 irons.  Also, I will be interested to see how the men and women play the course differently. 

So, how is the USGA going to pull this off without shortchanging the women?  I would appreciate any thoughts, arguments, or comments.   

Cory Lewis

Re: Pinehurst 2014... how is this going to work?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 12:59:09 PM »
2.  Volunteers.  Southern Pines is not huge in terms of population.  Can they find enough local volunteers to run two back to back majors?  I don't know how many local volunteers a U.S. Open typically needs, so maybe someone with experience or insight into this matter can help with this question.
Agree with your concerns about the course, but volunteers will not be a problem.  We have a very large retired community here in the Pinehurst area and they live for this stuff.  As an example all the volunteer spots for the US Kids World Championship in August, which is on 10 golf courses, are pretty much all gone two months before the event in August.  We're hosting the 10 year old boys at Little River and we are turning away volunteers. 
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 04:20:57 PM »
They will play it counterclockwise for the women, like they used to do when golf was invented by the folks of Pinehurst...
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Link Walsh

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 06:42:15 PM »
Thanks Howard :D

I can never seem to find the right terms to use for a search on this site, so I didn't see these. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back