News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bruce Wellmon

2014 Pinehurst the Opens - "Plan B"
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »
The recent thread on Pinehurst 9 and the tour of #2 has me thinking of The Open(s) in 2014.
Back to back opens have never been attempted, correct?
A hypothetical question.

Would the USGA and the resort have a "back up plan" for week 2, the women's Open, for a different course?
Is it at all conceiviable that #2 becomes too stressed to be playable for week 2 based on weather, a Monday playoff, etc.?
If so, what course?
Or is not possible the greens are unsuitable for the second open?

Tim Gavrich

Re: 2014 Pinehurst the Opens - "Plan B"
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »
I've got to think there's the potential for the course not being fit for the ladies the second week.  No. 4? Pine Needles?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 08:37:47 PM »
I am sure the turf will be very firm, but won't there be a sea of divots in the middle of the fairways for the ladies.  I can't imagine the ladies will be happy about that.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 01:22:20 AM »
The concerns about the turf make sense to me, a neophyte.  But it seems so obvious, hasn't the USGA considered it as well?  Especially after Shinnie in 2004, I would think turf quality is something they would not overlook.   

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:03:30 PM »
I am sure the turf will be very firm, but won't there be a sea of divots in the middle of the fairways for the ladies.  I can't imagine the ladies will be happy about that.

I have read interviews with people from both Pinehurst and the USGA who seem to feel the main landing areas for the men and the women will not be very similar, so this shouldn't be an issue (they say).

Matthew Essig

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 12:13:55 PM »
I never understood why the USGA would have the men play first. Why wouldn't the USGA have the women play first because I feel that the ladies would not cause as many divots. Plus, I feel the USGA wouldn't have to push the course to the limit for the women.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 12:29:58 PM »
I've previously heard that the USGA always has a contingency plan for the US Open course in the event of a natural disaster. 

It's probable there's a "plan B" for the women's championship event.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mark Johnson

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 05:05:29 PM »
I never understood why the USGA would have the men play first. Why wouldn't the USGA have the women play first because I feel that the ladies would not cause as many divots. Plus, I feel the USGA wouldn't have to push the course to the limit for the women.

I've been told its easier to slow green down than speed them up.   Probably the same for growing rough (though the new layout doesnt have much at all).

I'd imagine that it is set up so the approaches to all par-4s are from different spots.   I think the 3-shot par 5s (4 and 10) might be the only places where this coudl be an issue

John Jeffreys

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 07:44:16 PM »
First time poster, long time reader! Green speed isn't as much the issue as firmness. The greens can be "softened" and maintain their speed while it would be impossible to firm them in 3 days. That is a long, difficult process.  Divots could be an issue on 3, 7, and 13 as well. I appreciate the opportunity to learn from all I have read and look forward to continued enjoyment!

Matthew Essig

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 07:46:05 PM »
First time poster, long time reader! Green speed isn't as much the issue as firmness. The greens can be "softened" and maintain their speed while it would be impossible to firm them in 3 days. That is a long, difficult process.  Divots could be an issue on 3, 7, and 13 as well. I appreciate the opportunity to learn from all I have read and look forward to continued enjoyment!

Welcome, John!!!!!!!!   ;D
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 07:54:49 PM »
Someone who is connected pretty well told me that there is a deal in place in the area for the ladies if #2 isn't playable for them. They wouldn't tell me which course but I would guess Pine Needles.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 10:55:11 PM »
The women wouldn't cause as many divots? Do you think they are all sweepers? Dirt flies with the babes as with the dudes, friends.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Matthew Essig

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 12:58:17 AM »
The women wouldn't cause as many divots? Do you think they are all sweepers? Dirt flies with the babes as with the dudes, friends.

Do you watch many LPGA events?? They cause fewer divots than the men, plus, the divots are usually smaller compared to some of the chunks the guys hack out with wedges.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 01:59:45 AM »
I'd love to see the same pin placements – oops, hole locations – for both opens. Same Round 1 for men and women, etc. Might be the only chance we every get to see which group putts better in the same relative conditions.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 07:05:16 PM »
Tobacco Road should be plan B.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 09:56:41 PM »
Tobacco Road should be plan B.

I was thinking #4. TR would be epic. A much more memorable choice.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 06:36:28 AM »
Dormie could use some kindness, aside from all the logistical issues. 

I would love to see the woman play Mid-Pines, but probably too short/easy.  Maybe two days there and two at PN?

I wonder if Forest Creek's courses could accomodate? 

David Schofield

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 09:23:48 AM »
Isn't #4 used for merchandise/corporate tents and the south pedestrian entrance?  Specifically Holes 1 and 18. 

John Jeffreys

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »
The NBC compound is located on the 9th fairway of course no. 4, the merchandise tent is on the 17th Fairway of course no. 1.  Under what circumstances are we speculating a shift of venues. I think the decision would have to be made so far in advance that course conditions could not dictate the move.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »
The NBC compound is located on the 9th fairway of course no. 4, the merchandise tent is on the 17th Fairway of course no. 1.  Under what circumstances are we speculating a shift of venues. I think the decision would have to be made so far in advance that course conditions could not dictate the move.

I forgot about the TV compound.
John,
       This was merely a hypothetical question. What if, thru whatever scenario, something happens to, most likely, the greens on #2, and they are unacceptable for the US Women's Open. What does the USGA do? Surely the resort wants it to stay at one of its courses. If #4 is "blocked" with the TV compound, would they use #8? Or, as Chris Buie has pointed out, some of #4 was originally part of #2. Can they do a composite course, if need be? Or is there a plan in place, to where they "prepare" Pine Needles or Dormie or Mid Pines (or TR) as a backup just in case. I think it will be fascinating to see the men and women play the same course. I was just asking "What if?" 

John Jeffreys

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 02:04:26 PM »
It's a great "what if" to ponder.  Different scenarios would have dramatically different results.  It would be fascinating to see all of the infrastructure move even a short distance because it would be such a late in the game decision if it were the greens that become unsuitable for play for the women. The 04 sites greens weere great until the weekend, so on saturday evening do the powers that be pull the plug on the women and move them? I would hate to be in that war room. 

Bill Hoyle

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 03:21:02 PM »
I would be surprised is many conversations have not already taken place between the USGA and Pine Needles.

William_G

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 06:03:13 PM »
should have scheduled the Women's before the Men's
It's all about the golf!

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »
I don't believe Pine Needles would be an option. It will be played heavily during the Men's Open as will many other courses in the area. Plus there were some bruised feelings about the No 2 choice for the ladies. Then again, all that would be put aside for the good of the game if the need arose. How's that for talking outnof both sides of my mouth?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
Guys i am not sure Pone Needles is really a strong enough course for a Women's Open now

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back