News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Maltbie wants competition ball
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2003, 07:52:13 PM »
Jeff,
You wrote:
Ten years ago, I hit a 7 iron about the same yardage as most pros. Now I am 1 1/2 to 2 clubs shorter and I hit the ball slightly further than I did then.
and then said:
The whole problem is that these new balls don't go further at the dated clubhead speed and launch angle specs. BUT THAT IS HOW THE REST OF US SWING! We aren't benefitting very much.

Your two quotes are at complete odds with each other.
If the rest of us don't get the distance benefit because of how we swing then there is no way that the Pros would unless they are doing something different than you or the rest of us. That difference is clubhead speed, among other things. If you are now 2 clubs behind the Pros then you are not doing what they are doing.  If you were swinging a driver at 120 mph then you would be hitting it as far as your favorite Pro.

The real "dirty little secret" of technology is this: you can't buy any serious amount of game, period. You'd be better off spending $450 with your Pro and having something to show for it besides a nice new toy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

ForkaB

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2003, 11:22:42 PM »
Jim

That "dirty little secret" has always been part and parcel of the game of golf, but you say it best.  "You can't buy any serious amount of game, period" should be put in bold lettering over the door of every PGA shop in the world.  Yeah, like that's going to happen.......

The other dirty little secret that Jeff's post highlights is the persistent myth that we can play the same game as the pros.  Sure, we can stand on the 18th tee at Pebble Beach just like Omar Uresti, and face the same shot he has faced many times before, and even perhaps hit a shot with a result as good or better than some of the shots he has hit from the same spot before.  BUT..................We are kidding ourselves if we think we are playing anything close to the game Omar does and can play.  The physics of the golf swing (which allows our swing speeds to be relatively close (compared to our baseball swings, for example) to those of the pros) and the scoring system of the game flatter us.  We geezers do not have any more relative ability in golf than we do in tennis or baseball or even bowling.  That false flattery, however, is one of the enduring charms of our game.

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2003, 05:39:38 AM »
"Jeff:
I second your motion!!"

All those in favor say Aye!

All those opposed will be immediately expelled!  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2003, 05:45:13 AM »
Paul Richards:

Actually Rupert tells me you're out of order. You can't second Jeff Lewis's motion because he didn't make a formal motion.

So why don't you make a motion and I'll both second it and also make sure if anyone opposes it they be immediately expelled?

TEPaul

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2003, 05:53:07 AM »
"The other dirty little secret that Jeff's post highlights is the persistent myth that we can play the same game as the pros.  Sure, we can stand on the 18th tee at Pebble Beach just like Omar Uresti, and face the same shot he has faced many times before, and even perhaps hit a shot with a result as good or better than some of the shots he has hit from the same spot before.  BUT..................We are kidding ourselves if we think we are playing anything close to the game Omar does and can play."

Rich:

Shut up will you? You're exposing one of the fundamental tools of the American golf manufacturing world. If you don't watch yourself some secret agent for Callaway or Titleist might kill you! Taking on the agents of Eli, Wally and Madison Ave can be far more injurious to your health than it ever was before.  

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2003, 07:37:39 AM »
The gap is widening. I never said there wasn't a gap between most of us and the best. All I maintain, and I hold to this quite firmly, is that the ODS specs are encouraging manufacturers to increase the gulf between the rest of us and the best. I recognize that there is a fantasy aspect to hitting that one great shot just like the pros do, that none of us can do it as consistently as they can, but at least ten years ago it was more possible to have that delightful, if fleeting, experience.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2003, 09:13:48 AM »
Lynn S., Tim W. and Chris K.:

I can appreciate your skepticism -- just consider this ...

If you can refute what Frank Thomas (the main technical man at the USGA for over a quarter of a century) I'm all ears -- in fact -- so is everyone else!

The gain made by the professionals came from the rebound effect of titanium plus the switch to multi-layer balls from the pure balata balls they had been using in one particular form or another for many years. Thomas even indicated in a GD interview that the balata balls used from the late 50's and early 60's when compared to other balata balls still used in the early 90's the difference was roughly 10-12 yards.

Now, I don't doubt there is a feeling of golf becoming more and more of a distant equation, but far too often that's being said by those who don't hit it that long and see themselves being left behind.

I laugh when Jack Nicklaus talks about the distance the ball is going but you didn't see the Golden Bear saying the same stuff when Jack was routinely hitting 300 yard plus drives as a youngster. Jack only came to the table when "big" Jack started to just become another mere mortal off the tee.

Let's also mention the fantasy that people are hitting their irons longer. Nearly, all of the manufacturers have tweaked their irons to play stronger. Think of it this way -- what a clever marketing strategy. Years back when Jack reached the 15th at Augusta in 1964 with a drive / 8-iron that same situation replicated itself when Tiger hit drive / PW -- the only thing to remember is that Tiger's PW was really an 8-iron by loft standards we use today. What's even more amazing is that Jack did it with such a dead Tourney ball that he always played for the bulk of his prime playing days.

When the manufacturers tweaked all the irons stronger you then got all the chirping from the peanut gallery about how such and such golfer reached such and such golf hole with "less" club than he did 20 years ago. Nothing like a sharp marketing hook to reel in the fish!

Keep in mind this -- the manufacturers when they tweaked the irons opened up the whole opportunity for specialty wedges to fit the space created when the other iron clubs were made stronger. What a masterful stroke of marketing!

Look guys I don't doubt that there's been a 20-25 yard gain with the advances of titanium / rebound faces and the new multi-layer balls. However, just check out the handicap chart for all players over the years. The      has not become that much easier for the masses and for the one time gain the top players have made regarding distance I'd like to see some expert opinion that runs counter to what Thomas said.

Thomas made reference to a number of arguments that deal with physics and what is possible. I'd be happy to send you a copy of the intereview I had with when the next issue of Jersey Golfer comes out in about 3-4 weeks. Adios for now ...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back