News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_DeVries

Hickory Open
« on: March 26, 2003, 09:44:20 AM »
For everyone's information, the Hickory Open at the Kingsley Club will be held June 27-28 this year.  It has a $100 entry fee and you can now download information at
http://www.kingsleyclub.com/

Hope some of you can make it out -- it is a great event.

Mike DeVries
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

ed_getka

Re: Hickory Open
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 02:15:53 PM »
Mike,
 Thanks for letting us know about the event. Unfortunately, I won't be able to come out for that one, since I will be vacationing with the family out in luau land.

Hope the winter wasn't too long for you out there. How is the Marquette project coming along? I hope we get a chance to get together when you are out to Meadow Club this year.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

David Wigler

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 03:44:30 PM »
Mike,

Are you sure you want Shivas and me (With our reputation of big divots and shots that are a danger to anyone within 300 yards in any direction) on your golf course?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Jlyon

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2003, 03:50:25 PM »
You must provide your own clubs.  The clubs are expensive :'(  but well well worth the expense.  It will improve your game.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2003, 05:53:30 PM »
The rules about the clubs is stated on the sign-up form.  There is also a link to the Hickory Club Association (not the right wording, but to that effect) at the Kingsley website.  I believe Ralph Livingston runs the website and is a serious collector and proponent of hickories (he only plays the old clubs, doesn't even play modern ones at any time!) -- he would be one of the best to contact about equipment.  Also, check out your local antique shops or flea markets, as you can often find good clubs there.  

I just played two rounds with hickories at Bandon and Pacific Dunes -- the first full rounds I have ever played with them (shot 92 and 94 -- not bad, as my putting was horrible).  You will find certain clubs "fit" your game better and you will use them more than others.  Also, they are not as fragile as you might think (Anyone who has seen me swing knows that I don't hold much back! :o) and if they are refurbished and maintained properly, they will give you many years of good use.  Important to play a SOFT ball, as the faces of the woods can be damaged by the harder modern balls -- many of the new soft urethanes are great for this.  I would recommend talking with Ralph, as he really knows about these clubs.

Hope some of you try it -- it is GREAT FUN.

Mike

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back