News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeremy_Glenn.

DESIGN CONTEST - Calling GCA's Armchair Architects
« on: March 18, 2003, 04:38:39 PM »
I’ve been thinking of doing this for some time now, and waited until getting a really cool site.  

Now’s your chance.

At the link below, you will find an aerial picture of a site where we must design 18 holes.  The planning is still at a VERY preliminary stage (we haven’t even been to the site yet) but we’re now in the process of looking at the property to see how and where 18 holes could fit, and how much land it would use.  

Note: Before clicking the link below, please note that I have a low limit to web traffic allowed, and the picture is fairly large (600kb).  I encourage you to participate (or even to have a look), but please go there only once, and download the aerial onto your computer (right-click on the picture and “save as”).  Then print it or do whatever you want.

http://pages.ca.inter.net/~jglenn/aerial.jpg

So the scale is roughly shown (the red line = 500m)  You are free to roam anywhere within the aerial picture, even cheating a bit and going slightly beyond, (but then you're just guesstimating what's there). The red arrow at the bottom right shows the access to/from the 1st and 18th holes, which are coming in from across the road.  The first hole is 150-175 yards long, the 18th is about 400yds.  Those two holes are fixed, so you now need to route the other 16.

The course will also be built in two phases.  So there has to be a way of playing 9 holes (including the present 1st and 18th) in one phase, and later on adding 9 other holes later on.  Those 9 holes can be added however and wherever you want.  Returning nines are not necessary (not possible, I would say), but a ninth and tenth hole within a resonable walking distance of the clubhouse would be a bonus.

The beach areas are off limits, but you can come quite close to them.  There is also a wetland very roughly shown in yellow, which I would recommend you stay away from.  You might be able to fill parts, but do so at your own risk…  There are no trees on the site.  It's as close to oceanside linksland as we'll get this day and age.  It's also a flat site, with basically no elevation changes.
_____

Anyway, I’m currently working on routing options at the office over the next couple of days, but I thought it would be fun to see your creative solutions as well.  I already have a couple of options that work quite well, but if you come up with something better or have interesting ideas, WE WILL IMPLEMENT THEM.

So there you have it, come up with an interesting routing , and I’m dead serious, it might be built.

And if you have any questions, post them below, and I’ll be happy to help.

And the due date?  Welcome to the real word:  Submissions must be entered by Sunday evening. (I’m giving you the weekend).  The client is waiting.

Good luck, and have fun!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »

SPDB

Re: DESIGN CONTEST - Calling GCA's Armchair Archit
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 04:54:48 PM »
Might I ask where this piece of property is? From the air, it looks stunning. I understand if that info is non-disclosable.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 04:55:19 PM »
Jeremy
How flat is the site?
Could you share the elevations?
And prevailing winds?
cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 05:57:46 PM »
Jeremy,

I'm a little befuddled about the existing 1st and 18th.  So the 1st is going to be par 3?  The 18th about 400 yards.  But heading in what directions and are they already on the aeriel somewhere??  Clarification please?

Also, would also like to know prevailing wind.  
How flat is the site?
Thanks
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 06:10:30 PM »
SPBD,
Sorry, I can't tell you where it is...

Everyone,
The site is flat,  there is maybe a 2-metre elevation change over the entire property.  The prevailing wind is from the bottom right towards the top left.

The first and 18th holes are located at the very bottom right of the picture, with the clubhouse just out of view towards the right of that.  The first green and 18th tee are located on the little piece of green land to the right of the road (where the red "1 & 18" are written), below the snaky creek that goes under the road and then towards the ocean.  Basically, the tip of the arrow shows the location of where players will cross the road to access the rest of the site, where the remaining 16 holes are planned.  The first hole is 170 yards (as I said), and the 18th (about 400 yards) is a dogleg left around the beach (out of view to the right of the picture).  Those holes aren't existing, they are planned, so you can't see them on the picture.

Oh yeah, I forgot.  North is to the left.

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 08:56:30 PM »
I should also remind you that you can, of course, hit OVER the ponds, beaches and wetlands.  You just can't fill them.  And since there are a number of areas where the exact limit of these features is pretty vague, just keep in mind that, if your not sure, you're probably in an area that'll be a little tougher to build.  It's not a BAD thing, but just keep it in mind.

And I don't think you've got room between the beach on the right and the road to run a series of golf hole(s)...  Just my opinion... :)

Derek_L

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2003, 09:29:48 PM »
Jeremy,

How should we submit our ideas to you?

Derek

ChipRoyce

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2003, 10:18:04 AM »
my lottery pic? I'd guess Queensland, Australia

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2003, 12:45:20 PM »
Derek,

I would imagine the best way would be to draw directly on the picture and send it back to me.  Use a program like “photoshop” or “paint”.

You can certainly make yourself a much lower resolution version of the jpg, which would be easier to work with if you don’t have powerful photo-editing programs, which I would assume most won’t have.  Come to think of it, I might post one for you all tonight.  Use to current hi-resolution one to see all the details, and then draw on the low-res one, which you’d send back to me by e-mail.  Sending a low-res version (even a black & white one) would also significantly reduce e-mail transfer time…

Remember, we’re only looking at routings.  YOU DON’T NEED TO DESIGN INDIVIDUAL HOLES.  Just draw center lines, and maybe a circle for the green.  Basic stuff.

Andy Levett

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2003, 03:33:04 PM »
Great idea Jeremy. If this course comes off it would be fascinating to see the whole process from routing onwards.

I've emailed my effort. I started by printing off the picture and getting 16 pennies - each representing a green - and  messing around until I had none left, then drew the routing roughly on the picture, then neatly on the computer using a paint program.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2003, 04:02:26 PM »
I suggest fellow Luddites eschew their computer programs and utilize this method described by George C. Thomas, Jr.:  

"Your map is, of course, contoured to scale, and you can cut out of blotting paper miniature fairways, making them also to the same scale as the map; it is easy to place them on your contour map with thumb tacks, first having your map on a board.  You will find that by hinging these little fairways at or about the 200-yard mark, you can make them follow the contours on the map as dog legs or straight holes.  You can play with them just as if they were picture puzzle units; and by making them of different lengths, all to scale, with their width corresponsing to that of fairways from 65 to 80 yards wide, the one shotters unhinged and the three-shot holes hinged twice, you will find them of the utmost help.  Such a plan gives you clear thinking as you work on your map, and avoids the annoyance of constantly using new maps or erasing lines already drawn and found useless."

This from the man who asks:  "Why play a good game on a poor course?"

Surely those who played the blades and balata at Pajaro Sunday will utilize The Captain's method.  

Regards,

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2003, 02:24:07 PM »
Just a reminder that those who wish to participate are invited to submit their ideas by tomorrow evening.  I've already got three routings, each with interesting ideas as well as, uhm.... "interesting" ideas. ;)
___

Scott, did you get my e-mail?

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2003, 10:02:23 AM »
Just wondering who else sent in efforts...

I'd post mine, but my site is down. Maybe sometime in the future - it might be worth a laugh to some of you.:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2003, 01:31:42 PM »
I sent one to him.

I'm sure Jeremy got a good laugh out of it.  I could send it to someone if they wanted to post it if Jeremy is OK with that.

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2003, 02:52:58 PM »
Alrighty, we've got 4-5 results (less than I had hoped, more than I feared... :)).  If any latecomers want to submit, you're welcome to do so, but please ASAP.

I'll post the results and some comments later this week.

IMPORTANT:
(If any participant does NOT want me to post your design (and/or your name) on the Discussion Group, speak now or forever hold you peace.)

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2003, 11:25:08 AM »
Jeremy,

When were you going to post those routings?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back