News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Schulte

Pacific Dunes Re-Routing
« on: March 30, 2003, 08:20:04 AM »
I just returned from 5 wonderful days in Bandon.  Remarkably, it rained only once, the wind barely blew, and I was in shirt sleeves most of the time.  I actually missed the wind...for once!  

DISCLAIMER:  Below is a collection of hearsay that was passed on to me by various employees of the resort.  Hopefully Tom Doak will chime in and lend some insight.

RUMOR #1: PACIFIC DUNES:  Apparently they have been considering a routing change to Pacific Dunes to accomodate a new three story clubhouse, which will be built somewhere behind the seventh green.  As such they have apparently been considering making Hole No. 8 the new first hole.  Rumor has it, that Tom Doak was against the change in routing, and that Mr. Keiser has recently decided to leave the layout as it is.  

That said, I think it is enormously fun to discuss what the pros and con's would have been to that change.  I think holes 4,5,6, and 7 would have made a great finishing sequence.  I am not saying a better one, however I like the idea of coming back to the ocean later in the round.  I also like the idea of a visually straightforward tee shot on the first hole which hole No. 8 would offer.  

COURSE #3 WOODLAND DUNES:  Apparently a few greens have already been built, perhaps solely for testing grasses.  They apparently are considering the use of Poa for greens on the Woodland Dunes course.  One employee said that Coore and Crenshaw had the job and construction had started.  Another said that Mike DeVries had recently been in to meet with Mr. Keiser.  In my opinion wither one would be a wonderful choice.  The lower profile DeVries would seem more consistent with past selections.  

COURSE #4:  Rumor has it that this will be a 27 hole layout built near PD 14 and 15 and back towards Whisky Run.  I was told that this job had definately been given to Gil Hanse!  Can't help but try to imagine a Rustic Canyon or Craighead layout on that setting.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tom_Doak

Re: Pacific Dunes Re-Routing
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 09:09:22 AM »
I can only answer the first question.  We talked from the beginning about the possibilities of sequencing the holes at Pacific Dunes differently -- mostly because of the odd scorecard on the back nine.  But we were convinced that the present sequence is the best way to be introduced to the golf course, and that trumps the scorecard.

I have been out of the loop on the new discussions about the clubhouse.  I'm sure there are some people who, from an operations standpoint, think it would be better to start on 8.  But from a golf standpoint, I wouldn't want the tee shot on 9 to be the second hole, and I wouldn't want the par threes to be nos. 3 and 4.  I'm sure that I would have been consulted if Mike was seriously considering that revision, so I don't think he's considered it too seriously.

About the designers for future courses, I don't think any final decisions have been made.  They have built a green or two out in the woods for testing purposes, but it was built without an architect's input.  I know that all of the architects named (and some others) have been considered for one of the future courses, but until Mr. Keiser announces something, it's all just speculation.

TEPaul

Re: Pacific Dunes Re-Routing
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 09:19:33 AM »
It's certainly speculation but not exactly idle speculation.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back