News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

Re: Cypress Point's 9th Tee
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2003, 03:09:35 PM »
TH- your drive on 16 was a thing of beauty, but knowing that you're an unassuming purist, I am confident that you didn't tally it as a GIR.  Reportedly, the distinguished lefty with solid credentials in another round ball sport made a 3 on 16 after playing safe with a mid-iron.  As I recall, Strawn drove pin high on the left fringe.  No, I would not recommend removing the bushes on #1, though I find them somewhat disconcerting as the trees guarding the fairway on 18.  The only changes that I would recommend for CPC (other than to expand their membership criteria to include a north Texan by way of central Ohio and other parts unkown with a quirky swing, and a not too sound mind) would be for further restoration of the MacKenzie bunkers and clearing out some of the grasses that have taken over the wild areas and dunes.  The right side of 17 fairway could use some shore work.  And as a concession to Mr. Huntley, the bridge should be built to the rocks for a back tee (will not happen), which would then allow the removal of the trees blocking the fairway.

Mike H-  On #15 as well; very impressive indeed.  As one who has yet to keep a tee shot dry on 16, though I've hit a couple of nice recoveries from the left beach, this hole will probably always have my number.  I was hoping to get some support for the left route, but so far not.  I do want a full report when you play the course.

BTW, the house behind #8 green is pretty well hidden, and, apparently, has some history.  One of the caddies, Barry, was relating that a previous owner had a small driving range in his yard for him and his buds aimed towards the ocean.  Apparently, things went well for a long time until a day without wind (or perhaps too much alcohol), when folks driving on 17-mile drive were being pelted by golf balls.  Those pesky tourists ruined this poor guy's heaven.  #9 has to be among the top short par 4s in the world.  

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

THuckaby2

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2003, 06:06:39 AM »
Lou:

Re one of the great shots of my life, ok, it wasn't a GIR.  Heck, that'll help the putt totals.  But damn, to say it was off the green doesn't give it its full majesty.  ;D

That amazes me that the former Bruin layed up... damn that is discipline as if I could make the carry he surely could very easily.  Perhaps he meets my second criteria - that is, has played there enough such that the once in a lifetime thrill is gone.  God would that be a nice status to have....

Very interesting.

TH

ForkaB

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2003, 08:20:03 AM »
Getting back to the 9th......

I'm not really sure how you drive that green due to the sharp upslope over the last 40-50 yards.  The first time I played it, downwind, I hit a good drive (for me) that pitched into the bank about 5-10 yards short of the green and stopped like a lob wedge.   There is no ground game there, except for your second or third shot.......

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2003, 08:31:20 AM »
Can you imagine being the one guy who aced it?

ForkaB

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2003, 08:38:20 AM »
Don't tell me, Adam

That had to be Huntley, hitting a pink Flying Lady with his Tony Penna driver, playing in a fourball with Dean Martin, Nicky Price and Dan Quayle.  No?

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2003, 10:22:42 AM »
It may well have been Bob, but the one know of is a caddie.

THuckaby2

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2003, 11:10:12 AM »
Rich:

I don't see it being that tough to get to the front right portion, not by a big hitter anyway... Yes, I can see if you flew into the upslope right in front of the green (say, exactly 5-10 yards short, as you say), particulary if its wet due to rain or winter or whatever, the ball might stop, as yours did.  Anything other than that however and it rolls up most definitely; that is, the ground game most definitely works there, for anything BUT the last 5-10.  Land short of that and it rolls up that slope quite easily.

If I can get it to just below the trap, a guy like shivas or Wigler or Josh Taylor can get on with a 3wood, provided they don't get the bad luck you did.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back