News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: What are the best skyline greens in the US ?
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2003, 07:14:05 AM »
Sean:

I haven't stood out on #13 at Piping in years but the trees back there aren't exactly small particularly the forest to the left of #18. But if you were there recently and could only see sky from down in front of the green you'd know better than I since again I haven't looked at that in years.

#16 Hartefeld is really a great skyline green and the added reason last time I was there (some time ago) is there're no trees up on that ridge, behind, left or right and again that creates a far more effective "skyline" green in my book.

The overall psychological effect of really good "skyline" greens is to remove from the player any depth or aim perspective or perception and make him really trust his swing and what he's doing and so no trees behind or to the sides of the green is important.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2003, 07:58:16 AM »
Despite my agreement with Pete Kilhern about the merits of the 10th hole steeply-uphill approach at Yale, sadly it is not a skyline green, although I can understand how one is made to feel that way.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2003, 08:30:18 AM »
Sean,

No, I was referring to the references to holes with trees behind them and calling them skyline greens.  I haven't seen PR, so I don't know.

The spirit is there, but sometimes a far off frame of reference is more confusing than none at all.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2003, 10:39:11 AM »
I just recently played Cochiti de puebleo in Cochiti Lakes. It had several attmpts at skyline greens but were off a few degrees. I wondered this a.m. if settling would've accounted for the apparent differential, or if the crew just missed'em.

One of the wildest ever which NLE's was the original 10th at BWR. It was seriously steep(especially at the green) uphill and was absolutely flat on top. Wild, too wild and I guess thats why it NLE.

Jason Hines

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2003, 05:46:11 PM »
I thought I would try a couple of different ones.

#2 From the Oddfellows course in Reykjavic

#10 Keilir Golf Club, Hafnarfjardar, Iceland

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2003, 07:00:21 PM »
I believe that the 13th at Newport is an excellent skyline green, except when Eddie Ricci parks his car behind it.

I suggest that his car be towed, stolen, or raffled off for charity.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2003, 07:04:14 PM »
Here may well be the ultimate skyline green -- whether it is technically within the United States is debatable:

- - - -

Transcript of Apollo 14:

On 6 February 1971, Alan Shepard, captain of NASA’s Apollo 14 Mission, hit two golf balls on the surface of the moon. The second reportedly stayed aloft for 30 seconds and landed in a distant crater. Following is the transcript of the communications among Shepard; Edgar D. Mitchell, the lunar module pilot; and Houston Control:

Shepard: Houston, while you’re looking that up, you might recognize what I have in my hand as the handle for the contingency sample return; it just so happens to have a genuine 6-iron on the bottom of it. In my left hand, I have a little white pellet that’s familiar to millions of Americans. I’ll drop it down. Unfortunately, the suit is so stiff, I can’t do this with two hands, but I’m going to try a little sand-trap shot here.

Houston Control: He topped
and buried it on the first swing. I assume that the 6-iron was snuck on board.

Mitchell: You got more dirt than ball that time.

Shepard: Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again.

Houston Control: That looked like a slice to me, Al.
Shepard: Here we go. Straight as a die; one more. (significant pause) Miles and miles and miles.

Houston Control: Very good, Al.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back