News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Martin_Powell

Golfweek:Course Presentation by Dunlop White
« on: April 01, 2003, 07:56:23 AM »
Golfweek.com has an excellent piece, "Golf Course Accessories: A Traditional Presentation" which all superintendents and green committees MUST read....(Never saw the printed version) the only problem with the website is that it is hidden within the sub-pages and difficult to find. I hope the link below will work:

http://golfweek.com/articles/2003/features/reviews/courses/31853.asp

Mr. White III demonstrates that not enough thought, time or imagination is dedicated toward selecting appropriate accessories and properly integrating them into play........and when done correctly it can help shape the golf experience!! Presentation, or the lack thereof,  is important, isn't it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

wsmorrison

Re: Golfweek:Course Presentation by Dunlop White
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 10:24:54 AM »
I especially liked the foot-long railroad track tee markers used at Yeamans Hall.  The rusted markers on the back tees were evocative of age and character and that club oozes character.  The painted tracks on the other forard tees were quite nice as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 12:13:14 PM »
NO offense to Josh and the fellers at Wild Horse, but I never put a great deal of confidence in the accuracy of the 150 distance markers at Wild Horse.  I think they might get rolled over a few times and replaced in wrong spots when they mow the intermediate rough.  They are a suggestion at best.  But, I love the look of the old bleached out skulls and horseshoe tee markers.  

Blue bird house programs and martin houses, even if they are not actually markers, are a wonderful feature at any course.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 07:47:56 AM »
RJ Daley and Martin -

I regret not speaking to Josh Mahar, the super, especially since much of the course presentation, which connects Wild Horse to the native habitat, was his idea.
Ironically, I never intended to address the idea of "cultural links". Instead, I wanted to send a message that subtle, functionally simplistic, understated accessories are much more attractive when properly integrated in the landscape and kept at a minimum.
Then, since I am a restoration nut, I demonstrated how accessories, if chosen properly, could bring that original, old- world look and feel back to your classical design, much like Ryan Blair has done at Holston Hills, Chris Sykes has done at Cherokee, and I am attempting to do at Old Town and Roaring Gap.
But "cultural links" was never part of the agenda. Too bad, because the folks at Weed Design worked hard to get me some revealing artwork which was suppose to have been included???
Check out Olde Farm sometime in Virginia! Thanks for your comments -

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back