News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Agman

World Tour
« on: February 18, 2004, 09:44:12 AM »
If we were to assemble  a list of the top 10 (tough I'll be happy with 5) courses that have opened on each continent since 2000, what would you include. I'm interested in resort or public courses only -- no closed gates, please. And if no one can come up with any in Antarctica, that's fine.

Thanks.

js

A_Clay_Man

Re:World Tour
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 09:55:49 AM »
Wild Horse (1999)- Gothenburg Nebraska-under $40

Black Mesa(2003)- La Mesilla, New Mexico-under $50

The Rawls Course(2003)- Lubbock Texas- $37

Those are the ones I have golfed in N. America and worthy of placement on any top list.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 10:50:00 AM »
I'll go out on a short limb and say Pacific Dunes (2001) in North America.  

Perhaps Cape Kidnappers (2004) and Kauri Cliffs (2002?) in AustralAsia area.

Kingsbarns (2000) and Doonbeg (2002) in Europe?

Fancourt (Links) (2000) in Africa?

tonyt

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 02:59:29 PM »
Australia:

National (Moonah), Thirteenth Beach, Brookwater, add St Andrew Beach (Gunnamatta) & Barnbougle later this year. In a top 10, Moonah Links would get in with one or maybe both of it's courses. In continents as low populated as ours, The 2000 rule lets a lot of newbies in.

All have members, but all allow visiting golfers most days.

If we were to break the rules and make NZ part of our continent, then obviously Cape Kidnappers and Kauri Cliffs would get a look in.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 04:00:44 PM »
Tony,

I didn't mention St. Andrews Beach and Barnbougle on purpose because they are not open yet.  Jeff's original question asked "that have opened..."

Agman

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 04:17:37 PM »
Scott --
   Your precise reading of my question makes you a man after my used-to-be-editor's heart. So, let's open it to courses that will open this year as well.
    Any thoughts from anyone about continental Europe, Asia, or South America?

Thanks...
js

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 10:57:19 AM »
I don't think I'm too out of line by mentioning Rustic Canyon (2002) and Barona Creek (2000-1) for North America.

I was going to mention Arcadia Bluffs as a possibility, but it opened in 1999, like Wild Horse mentioned above (listed in golfcourse.com as 1998), so it's not eligible.

Agman

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 03:19:41 PM »
Europe? Asia? South America? Any supporters?

js

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 03:23:20 PM »
Agman,

Everyone is too busy fleshing out their emotions in the Jump the Shark thread.  I'm sure your thread will pick up once everyone is done talking about how their feelings got hurt.

I would post here but I have only played in the U.S. over the last few years and can't contribute to the question.

Take care.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Chris Kane

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004, 02:23:56 AM »
Tonyt, you forgot to add Australia's 95th best golf course :P, Ranfurlie!  

JohnV

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2004, 08:35:52 AM »
If you are planning to take a trip to all these places, may I suggest the following website: http://www.airtreks.com

They have a really cool program that lets you put in all the cities you'd like to visit on a round the world trip and then prices it for you in under a minute.

For example, I put in the following list:
Pittsburgh - London - Edinburgh - Johannesburg - Cape Town - Melbourne - Hobart - Auckland - Honolulu - Portland - San Francisco - Pittsburgh

And within a minute I had 3 itineraries ranging in price from $4000 to $6000.

Now, if I only had the money and the time. :(

Agman

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 10:20:57 AM »
So, let me try this again...
Terrific courses opened since 2000 in South America, Asia and continental Europe...Is there a top 5 list for each?

js  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back