News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Wigler

Explain Mauna Kea
« on: April 04, 2003, 05:20:05 AM »
I finally made my first trip to Hawaii and played five courses: Kapalua Plantation, Manele Bay, both courses at Waikaloa and Mauna Kea.  In my mind, Mauna Kea was clearly the weakest course.  I was shocked when it finished #69 in Golfweek's top 100 modern.  Now I am really shocked that it finished #84 in GD's top 100 (Immediately ahead of Double Eagle and way ahead of Kapalua).  Did I miss something on this course?

I do not mean to imply that it is a bad golf course, it's not.  Nevertheless, I did not see anything that indicated a top 100.  #3 is definitely one of the best golf holes in the world but it is offset by #10, which would be on my short list of the worst holes ever built.  The other 16 holes did not really stand out in my mind either way.  The property was slightly congested by trees and lack of definition on any proper approach shots.  The bunker work was adequate.  The green complexes were nice but not to the level that RTJ built at Pointe O' Woods or even Chanticleer.  I truly understand that rankings are subjective and the difference between #84 and number 400 (Approx where Kapalua ended up in GD) is not very much.  Is there someone out there who loves Mauna Kea and can explain to me what I missed?  Is it a course that needs to be played several times to understand?  I really am not trying to be duplicitous.  There are courses that make the top 100 because they are different and you either love them or hate them.  Victoria National is a great example of a course that causes extreme feelings.  Mauna Kea is the only course I played in the top 100 that I walked off with no real feeling for either way.  I just do not get it.  Please help?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Bob_Huntley

Re: Explain Mauna Kea
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 08:51:49 AM »
David.

I first played Mauna Kea in 1966. At that time it was the first course built over lava that had been crushed. The fairways were narrower than now and a ball slightly off the greensward was lost forever, as the penalty for walking on the lava to retrieve a ball was ripped up shoes, or worse, a broken ankle. I loved the place.

Architecturally not the greatest in the world but you must admit, you don't think about the IRS or Saddam Hussein when you are there. I didn't like the first hole and you are right, the tenth is a bit of a disaster. I felt that there were too many shots to elevated greens. The third and eleventh are exciting par threes.

Perhaps my euphoria about Mauna Kea over the years I've been there, was due to a large intake of pina coladas.

David Wigler

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2003, 09:22:08 AM »
Bob and John,

You both believe that its ranking is a nod to yesteryear.  That is an interesting thought.  I did not get a sense of nostalga at the course.  For better or worse, it certainly does not have a clubhouse that celebrates its history.  If I did a match play with Kapalua or Manele Bay, Mauna Kea would get beat rather soundly (Let alone Cuscowilla, where I think #3 and #6 might be the only holes Mauna Kea would win).

I wonder if there is something though to a course getting credit for being groundbreaking.  Clearly Hawaii has developed into a golfers paradise and Mauna Kea certainly deserves some of the credit.  I just wish someone would tell me it really deserves to be a top 100 on its own merits and explain what I missed.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2003, 09:32:30 AM »
I've mentioned a few times on this web site that its the most overrated course on the GD list.  It's a 2 hole golf course, #3 and #11.  I look at the points from Golf Digest and how it manages to hang on is beyond me except for scoring very high on aesthetics.  Its impossible to walk and was in terrible condition when I played it.  Personally I don't think its great in design variety.  

There are 3 new courses on the Big Island that have are in the process of opening which I'm sure will put Mauna Kea on the back burner of courses in the Kona area.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2003, 10:41:23 AM »
If you stand anywhere on Mauna Kea and ask for it to be "explained" to you, you're just thinking too hard!

henrye

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2003, 10:46:03 AM »
As Hawaii golf goes, I have always been a fan of Mauna Kea.  I have also played the courses of Maui and Lanai, but Mauna Kea has always been special to me.  As I have mentioned in previous posts I am not one who typically analyzes the strategic shot values of each hole, but rather get intoxicated by the overall feel of a course, its surroundings and quirks (fun surprises).  Mauna Kea sits on relatively gentle slope overlooking some spectacular ocean vistas.  Each hole tends to have a degree of isolation.  It's beautiful, serene, the wind can be a challenge and it is the Hawaiian course which started it all.  Others may view these issues as week when rating a golf course, but I think they deserve credit and as such would rank it higher than the other Hawaiian courses.  The Challenge at Manele is also a delight, but it is a quintessential example of a modern golf course in a spectacular setting.  Mauna Kea is a classic by Hawaiian standards.

ChipOat

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2003, 01:49:40 PM »
Good call, Joel Stewart.  Perhaps the most overrated anywhere.

While Oakland Hills or Medinah may not be to everyone's taste, for instance, it's tough to argue that they're 30-100 spots too high.

David Wigler

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2003, 02:08:33 PM »
Matt,

Did you really feel that way at Mauna Kea.  Clearly the 3rd tee gave off that impression but most of the course did not.  In fact, the impression from the middle of the 1st or 10th fairway is "What muni did I just show up at."  You described to a tee my feeling at Kapalua.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

David Wigler

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2003, 02:13:09 PM »
henrye,

Maybe you hit on what I was trying to get at.  Does Mauna Kea give you that feeling because of memories or because it is really there.  I agree that the visceral appeal of a place has a place in course rankings.  I just did not get any of that at Mauna Kea.  On visceral appeal alone, Bay Harbor in Michigan made top 100 lists (Although it has fallen off them now).  Kapalua has that appeal but also a wonderful golf course.  Manele Bay had more appeal and more strategic options than Mauna Kea.  I just cannot fathom how a course I felt was 5th best of the 5 I played in Hawaii is in the top 100.  It seems like the answer is that it was the historical precedent that got all these other courses built.  Is that good enough?
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

henrye

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2003, 03:29:30 PM »
I tried to explain Mauna Kea as best I could.  I believe it is really there.  It is the classic Hawaiian golf course and has influenced courses throughout the area for years.  I think of it in these terms.

One could look at Mauna Kea and see it as an "old" modern design, but for Hawaii, I see it as the classic Hawaiian design.  Hope they never change it in order to keep up with the Jones.

David Wigler

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2003, 07:26:14 AM »
Henreye,

I did not mean my answer to be confrontational.  I definitely respect your opinion and was glad to see someone defend the course.  Clearly, some people get it as it finished in the top 100 in both GD and GW.  Perhaps it is my loss that I do not.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Paul Richards

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2003, 02:09:53 PM »
David:

I'm sorry to hear that Mauna Kea disappointed you.  IMHO, Princeville, then Kapalua Plantation and then Mauna Kea are the top three Hawaiian courses.  I do not profess to be a lover of RT Jones'Sr.'s courses, but this one impressed the hell outta me!  The third and eleventh holes are spectacular and the rest is very strong indeed.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

David Wigler

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2003, 05:47:32 PM »
Paul,

It's funny because I generally am an RTJ fan.  I really like Bellerieve, Chanticeer, Pointe O' Woods, Dogwood and Southern Highlands.  I agree with 3 and 11 but I felt that there were a bunch of weak holes.  1 and 10 were the most egregious.  I truly believe #10 might be the worst hole I played all of last year.  What are your thoughts on 10?
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back