News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Women are driving the ball to far.
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
John Conley,You missed the entire thrust of my post.

Jeff_Brauer

Does Money and Technology Hurt Golf Architecture?
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
Tommy,Me, come down on my good buddy?  Actually, I understand your point of view fully, but view it in shades of gray, not your full speed charge ahead black and white!  But, just as in my post on routings above, practical considerations can intrude.I usually favor using a "2 foot bump" if I can, but will ignore it if it CAN be rebuilt.  What would cause this decision?Usually, if it means a green and tee are just too close together to be safe. Move the next tee, you say?  What if it already on a property line?  Ignore "published safety standards" by Urban Land Institute?  My errors and omissions insurance already costs in excess of $10,000 annually, and I've never cost the insurance company a dime!  I think I'll move the green off the natural feature, save a life, and keep my premiums low, thank you.What if using that feature means shortening the hole a bit, and as it happens, the previous and next hole are of similar length and shot value?  Three consecutive similar holes, or rebuild the 2 foot bump 30 yards down the fairway, in all of ten minutes work with a bulldozer?  What about adding a few "sibling" 2 foot mounds, so that instead of it being a matter of chance on hitting that small feature, where a golfer may take that chance (like chipping out from behind one tree or one hundred, which kind of makes you play sideways) that perhaps any golfer hitting the right third of the fairway is treated equally, and/or the more consistent penalty really makes him think about playing that side, i.e. introducing strategy?Lastly, most of us do, as you say, think we either know more than nature, or at least love to tinker with it.  What if I use that 2 foot mound, but it really needs to be 3 feet high to be visible to the golfer (so he/she can appreciate it), perform its intended function of deflection (in or out from the green) or softened up "just a tad" for efficient, non scalped mowing? (If you can run over it with a box blade, the superintendent can mow it with a mower) Leave it as is to be a purist, or "tweak it" so it really, really, works as you (and the superintendent) want it?You, Tom Doak, me, Tom Fazio, would all make different decisions on what to do with that 2 foot bump, wouldn't we?  That's all part of the fun!BTW, I have no problem with Fazio charging whatever he wants, and the corollary (or, as worked up as you can get about things, the coronary question  , is why do you?  Of course, if a club wants to hire Fazio, I have about as much chance as getting the work as you do, so it doesn't ruffle my feathers too badly.  Also, ASGCA would have no official position of fees, as that may be considered price fixing.  We do have an by law ban on criticizing other members, at least in the facet of using it to get work.But the real reason we don't criticize like outside agents, like yourselves, is that more often than not, we know (or know we don't know) the types of enviro., budget, owner, or site problems the architect was likely to face, and know how much those things can affect the outcome.Jeff
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

GeoffreyC

Hanse Design's Applebrook G.C.
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
MikeI have to disagree with several of your criticisms Applebrook. I do agree with you about the apparent eye candy fairway bunkering on several holes.  Beautiful bunkers that are apparently out of play.  Perhaps different wind patterns will prove this wrong. I also agree with you about #18 being very severe and difficult for antthing but a carry onto the green surface.  The assistant pro (Pete) however, had no trouble hitting a 9 iron into the green and using the backstop as well.I had believed that Applebrook would play very difficult after walking it twice in the last year. However, after playing it I think it plays significantly EASIER then Inniscrone especially once on the putting surfaces. Did you really think the greens were that difficult?I think Applebrook has about the best set of par 3's I've seen in a long time. I loved seeing a modern uphill par 3 and this course has 2 of them.The only hole I really didn't get was the par 5 8th hole so I'm awaiting Top Paul's evaluation. I'm also not sure about your one dimentional criticism.  I know twhat you are getting at but the course features great short and long holes.  Par 3's with 9 irons that put a lump in your throat are rare. #11 at Applebrook will do that. Then there are semi blind uphill par 3's that require great precision (#5, 17) and a very long downhill 3 par that requires all the 3 iron in your bag (#15). There is equal variety in the par 4's.As for the right side fairway bunker on #2, there are probably different wind conditions that will affect your choice of tee shots.  It apparently tempted you.  Maybe next time you will play to the left.  If you hit a really good one you may be tempted to try the big carry to the right again.  It seems like a sound design.  Its still only a reasonably short iron from the left side of the fairway and perhaps a better angle to right pin locations.Is Applebrook a great course?  I'm not sure but its a hell of a lot better then the Trump National course I just saw earlier today.  

Jeff_Brauer

TEE Reconstruction
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
Patrick,Just my .02 worth, but I always recommend that if you set out to fix something, fix that right, rather than "spread the money around" and half fix everything.Most tees that settle and become uneven don't usually do so from the top, they do so from the bottom, either from someone leaving organic debris (roots, branches, old sod) in the fill, or simply from improper subgrade compaction in original construction (one area bulldozers have a huge advantage over horses, better compaction and no additons of "organic material" to the fill as you might expect from a horse!)Generally, the results of reusing sod have been dismal for me.  When I recommend using it, it should be spread out in your bunkers, to avoid killing  more turf underneath it.  Nonetheless, transplanting sod or trees for that matter, doesn't usually work as well as purchasing new.  And if you are going to bent grass on the tees, by all means, just seed it.  Sod the banks, especially on the walk ups.Also, consider the superintendents and members long term maintenance and playability consistency.  This argues in favor of doing all the tees "right" and all the same.  Its a pain to do a variety of maintenance programs on the tees.Lastly, hire an architect who really listens to your needs, but isn't afraid to tell you if you are really of base on techical items.  Successful master plans often aren't because of "big ideas", they are sucessful because of "little details'.  He should also be prepared to tell members during the selling phase the same thing, when the "johnny come latelies" come to the last informational meeting, asking if you considered "X", when you considered it four meetings ago!Jeff
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

corey miller

Architecture
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
Geoff- We may not have the pictures for a while....  The photographer went the wrong way on 287.  Probably could not get Trump national off his brain.....

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
Geoffrey,Since I'm sure we both know that we're getting into fine details of criticism here, I'll be happy to join you in friendly debate.Pete hit a 9-iron into 18?!?!  Sheesh....I really need to consider weightlifting!  I hit a really solid drive and was left with 190 steeply uphill yards and selected a 4-iron.  I would have loved to have tried a left-handed draw to the right to left diagonal green, but the flow of the land conspired against that shot.  Still, I guess a 455 yard par four with a significantly uphill green set diagonally on a ledge is easier to approach with a 9-iron, although even he had to use the steep "backstop" per your description.  I'm not quite sure whether I should applaud that imaginative solution to the back right pin position predicament or wonder if it isn't an architectural stopgap.Were the greens that difficult?  Well, I certainly didn't have my putting touch, admittedly.  Still, it seemed that even my best putts would need to account for a significant borrow, only to watch them straighten out within 6 feet of the hole time and again.  I also watched a group of who I assume were local pros play the 9th.  Three of them hit their teeshots within 8 feet and none walked away with birdie.  I had played Merion East & Gulph Mills the previous two days under very fast conditions, but was frankly baffled by Applebrook's greens.  Perhaps I was simply shellshocked by that time, because Rich Goodale seemed to be a magician on them (but then again, he seemed to be a putting and chipping magician all week!!), using his patented "claw" method.The par threes were exacting, to say the least.  As you know, I have nothing at all against blind or semi-blind shots, but I thought they bore a similarity in severity, and narrowness of target that I wondered about their variability and playability for all level of golfer.  The easiest of them..the ninth, I thought was simply better to look at than to play.  I also thought the postage stamp 11th hole was very good, but three par threes to narrow targets with steep falloffs to the sides seemed at least one too much.  On number 2, I would have to have a hurricane behind me to challenge that bunker again.  I loved the concept, but criticize the practicality.  To add to the positive side of things, I completely agree with you that the course features a great variety of hole lengths.  Even better was the VERY intelligent routing, that just followed the lay of the land very naturally.  Never does Applebrook feel forced, cramped, or otherwise imposed on the land.  The routing, simply put, is stupendous.However...Geoffrey, on what holes were you either tempted to play a running approach, or did you feel that the green surrounds might accomodate one?  Was there anything similar to holes like 6, 9, 14, 15, or 17 at Inniscrone where the flow and tilt of the surrounding approach can be used to direct the ball onto the green?On what holes did you have to think about landing your ball on a particular side of the fairway to guarantee a preferred approach?  Did you think the architectural features around any of the green (and within the greens themselves) bordered on overkill?Did you think that some pin positions were borderline over-the-top (such as the top left on 14) given the other demands of the hole?What do you think of the entire 9th/18th green complex?  Is it really that different from what one might see from any number of modern architects?Geoff...I'm nitpicking to some degree, admittedly.  However, in an effort to be even-handed and offer constructive criticism, I think that sincere, classically-intentioned guys like Gil Hanse would welcome this level of in-depth, comprehensive critical discussion about a course that he clearly put enormous personal effort into.  All in all, I just believe that the subtleties of Inniscrone surpass the more visually-arresting features of Applebrook due to the way it plays...on the ground.

Patrick_Mucci

TEE Reconstruction
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
Jeff,Every thing you say is true, but....one of the problems is, the funds to do all eighteen holes in one project, at one time, and the club's unwillingness to hire an architect after the long range planning committee blew $ 25,000.I would sense that unless you rebuild the entire tee (costly) versus rebuilding the upper foot or so, you will continue to have those settling problems, and constantly have to relevel some areas.The shame of the matter is, the chicken hearted former President listened to a small core of malcontents immediately prior to the membership vote on the package of projects, including tees and bunkers.  Based on their objection, he removed the tee and bunker projects from consideration.  The balance of the package passed with ease, sending the signal that the same would have occured with the tees and bunkers included.  The malcontents left the club anyway on 12-31-00, since the idiot President also agreed to defer assessment until after the first of the year, and it only applied to those who remain as members THIS year, 2001.Give me a club with a prudent DICTATOR !

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
TEPaul, Mike and Geoff,Having only walked AppleBrook, and... since it just opened, and.... since Gil is a stone's throw away, I would imagine that the data obtained through the substantive play of the course, will lead to fine tuning which will improve the course.I get the feeling that some are expecting a newborn to run the 100 yard dash in under 10 seconds.Give it a little breathing room lads.Let it evolve and mature.

Greg_Ramsay

Best Golf Club Web Sites
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
We have nearly launched our website for Barnbougle Dunes, would be interested in any of your thoughts,the nearly completed site is at www.gettingstarted.com.au/barnbougle Greg Ramsaygreg@barnbougledunes.com

Scott_Burroughs

Hog's Back Holes
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
Mike,    You're right about #14 at Twisted Dune, but I can't believe you didn't mention #2 at Lehigh.  

John_D._Bernhardt

A Brilliant Victory at Yale
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
Welcome home Tom, for I am excited that you toured the northeast in such grand style. Yet I am equally looking forward to your alway wonderful account of the pint by pint and hole by hole account. I am down and out by the defeat to ole miss( a lifestlye game) for gods sake and playing so poorly in a fundraiser for the LSU golf team today.

TEPaul

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
Hole #7;Par 4, 475yds;Another of the wide open fairway (maybe 45-50yds) par 4s with one left fairway bunker of not much strategic consequence. The control house on the right sets a bit of a visual reference to aim left off of. This tee shot should be an interesting one from a high tee and a strong left to right prevailing wind. There is a bit of a "speed lane" (as Rich Goodale calls them) on the right side of the fairway. The green is large and mostly open in front but guarded somewhat on the left by an enormous bunker starting well before the green on the left and continuing to mid left of the green. The approach can very much be used as a ground game run-in with a somewhat aerial required back left pin position (guarded somewhat by the enormous left bunker. I suppose the drive should be positioned left for the front right pin and right for the left back pin but this is a long hole and hitting the green will do. I would think that the green should have a bit more of a right to left filter or slight carom off the approach then this one does. This green is very much the low profile seamless meld from fairway approach into the green space that Mike Cirba was saying that Appelbrook needs more of.Hole #8:Par 5, 575yds. A drive to another very wide fairway basically devoid of fairway bunkering but with the large irrigation lake running along the right side. An enormous and impressive set of extremely rugged bunkering is set into the upslope to the higher tier at the midway point of this hole. Most golfers who have never been to Applebrook will ask if they can hit this bunkering from the tee but in fact will not come near it. This bunkering comes more into play on the second shot options and covers about half the fairway on the left as it rises to the higher tier on the second half of the hole. This tier which forms the higher second half of the hole is actually a clever use by Gil of one of the old building pads that the site had for many years. The second shot options are somewhat interesting but in my opinion could be much more so with a bunker scheme addition. As it is the rise to the second tier starts about the same distance as the carry over the enormous and rugged bunkering on the left. The right side is fairway with the uptier. This uptier with the enormous left bunkering makes the landing area for the second shot relatively blind. When you reach the second tier you find an immense amount of fairway out to the left of the green and running all the way to the back of the green. I can't quite understand why there is so much fairway out to the left of the green although there is a big bunker starting to the front right of the green and running along it obviously making playing out to the left a bit the best play, but still there is way more fairway out to the left than seems needed. The green is large and melds very flat and seamlessly off the approach into the green. I believe this hole absolutely requires another bunker scheme in the middle of the fairway on the second half of this hole starting out about 150yds from the center of the green. With this addition the second shot would become far more interesting and strategic. Off a good drive the player would have to choose between laying a second shot up in front of this bunker scheme or playing to the right of it and bringing the right greenside bunker into play. Another option would be to play out to the left and past this additional bunker scheme thereby creating an open angle to the green. This would seem to be more reasonable to utilize all the fairway out to the left. If one took this line they would also have to consider the consequences of carrying the enormous bunker scheme at the left on the uptier. As it now there is no reason not to just hit the ball into the middle of this extremely wide approach fairway. Of course an aggressive golfer could choose to carry this additional bunker scheme by going up the middle over it. An additional bunker scheme at the point mentioned would be perfect and an ideally placed "line of charm" feature and would add some real meaning to the immense amount of fairway out the the left which at the moment doesn't appear to have  much meaning. The green again is a low profile meld off the large approach and can be well used for the ground game as a real wind option! Some nice subtle contours in this low profile green.Hole #9:Par 3, 160yds.A somewhat diagonal green orientation through a valley to a perched up green with a very deceptive diagonal front bank running right to left. You need more distance to carry the left side. This green has some wild contours and slopes particularly on the front right which deceptively falls off into a right chipping area. A rear bank running along the back of this green can cause problems as the green is very wide but relatively shallow. This green space is definitely a bit of the "greens within a green" concept and I'm sure extremely 3 puttable if the ball is in the wrong part of the green.Hole #10:Par 5, 510yds. Another extremely wide fairway with some flanking bunkering left but quite far out and a creek running along the right side and crossing over the hole at midsection in a right to left diagonal. I'm not crazy at all about the high back tee setting on this hole. The back tee looks ungainly sticking up so high by itself. I would rather see a back tee at almost fairway grade making the wide fairway somewhat more blind (over some rough area). The second shot options off a good drive are a go at the green over some good looking bunkering covering the entire green and set into a depression and up quite close to the green front. This would not be an easy green to hit and hold properly on a second shot. To the right of the fairway layup area fronting the green is another large bunker starting probably a 100+yds from the green. Over this bunker and well out to the right is another section of fairway hooking well out to the right of the green. I think a really good multi-optional architectural opportunity was lost here. That's because the bunker scheme covering the front of the green is carried well to the right of the green and creates an elbow that the wide hook-out of the fairway coming into the green from the right hooks around. I can see no reason whatsoever why any golfer would choose to use this hooked out fairway coming into the green from the right as a layup area and I can see no reason either why a golfer going for the green in two would ever try to use this area since carrying the front bunker scheme out to the right is the same distance as carrying the green! I believe this can be easily tweaked by removing the right section of the green fronting bunkering and repositioning it along a soft ridge in a diagonal back to the right bunker about 100yds from the green. If this were done it would cut down substantially on the layup fairway area fronting the bunkering directly in front of the green. Narrowing this option down substantially would make the golfer look for the other option of playing the ball out to the increased layup area to the right of the green. Another interesting option would be to replace the depressed area where the right fronting bunkering used to be with a fairway type bowl that the golfer might have a change of running the ball through and onto the green. This would be a very creative and gutsy play and if the ball came up short in the fairway bowl the up and down would be interesting indeed to a green very much running left and away from the golfer. Some might say if this bunkering was repostioned that a player would have a much easier time just blowing the ball out the the substantial unprotected fairway area to the right of the green. That might be so but then the golfer would have a really difficult short third shot to a green that fell completely away from this angle. I have little doubt that this tweak would create far more and interesting options on this 510yd par 5.Hole #11Par 3, 140yds. (I don't think the hole is 140 yet--more like 120 max).This is a great little very short par 3 with a green set on a narrow windswept ridge! The green is not wide and I'm certain could be very challenging and entertaining in a strong wind. Nevertheless, I've already heard people say the hole is weak because it's so short. This is certainly not a tweak recommendation because it wouldn't be worth it at this point but if Gil had the green to do over again I would recommend that he create a narrower front section to this green that was visible from the tee and enough of a front to back fallaway to the wider rear of the green (and it wouldn't have to be much of a fall-away) that would hide the back section of the green space ever so slightly from the tee. This wouldn't really change the playability (wouldn't  change the green width) but it would very much appear to be narrower to an already narrow ridge and would deceive the golfer into thinking there was almost nothing there. In this way the green would take on some of the deceptiveness of the mostly blind and world class little par 3 #7 at Royal County Down that also sits on a similar windswept ridge and is about the same length hole.

JohnV

faux links @ RTJ Trail
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2001, 07:00:00 PM »
At 7600+ yards it was stated that it is the longest course every used for any event staged by the PGA Tour.Back in 1993 or 1994 when the Nike Tour Championship was played at Pumpkin Ridge, our pro shop got about 6 calls a day from women wanting to know what Pat Bates shot that day.  He must have been having a good time before he got married.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back