News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Re:Why is everyone so in love with Oakmont?
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2004, 04:04:11 PM »
Ran said, "The course (as opposed to the place) doesn't want to be loved nor should it be."

The issue with Oakmont comes down to the high level shotmaking that it consistently presents. In many ways, Oakmont is Pennsy's version of Winged Foot / West.

At both courses there are no oceans or other "off course" elements that build brownie points. The character of the course(s) rests with their unique routing and high level shotmaking requirements.

It amazes me that people will opine that they absolutely love Pittsburgh Field Club / Fox Champel in the Pittsburgh area and the same for Quaker Ridge / Fenway in the Westchester area near Winged Foot.

Part of the reasons for this is that the intensity meter is quite high at Oakmont and Winged Foot / West. They each require a deft touch with teh short stick but they don't let anyone off the hook in regards to tee and approach shots.

Gib -- I'd have to ask you this -- you are big fan of Olympic Club. Many people on this site and elsewhere have said that they don't understand how Olympic / Lake gets as much support as it does. How do you jive your support for Olympic / Lake when compared to the likes of Oakmont and even Winged Foot / West?

In my mind -- Oakmont is a top ten USA American coruse. It is one of the very few American courses that can handle world class play with minimal modifications and yet still entertain member play day after day. How many can say both of those things?

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2004, 06:55:33 PM »
Matt Ward said;

"In my mind -- Oakmont is a top ten USA American coruse. It is one of the very few American courses that can handle world class play with minimal modifications and yet still entertain member play day after day. How many can say both of those things?"

Matt:

I believe that's such a true statement. How many courses can say they can test the best (pretty much on a daily basis) and still entertain member play day after day?

I'd say probably no course on earth can test the best on a daily basis and still somehow entertain its membership the way Oakmont does. I think most of the answer to that question lies not just in the golf course but in Oakmont's membership. In my opinion, basically the membership of Oakmont has been inured to that extreme daily difficulty over a period of perhaps 6-7 decades. This, in fact was the way of William Fownes, for ages! This was the type of course he wanted to create in all kinds of ways! I think the membership of Oakmont is perhaps competely unique this way in the brutality that course inflicts on them on a daily basis but somehow can make them perhaps not so much actually enjoy it but somehow become prouder and prouder of their course for it!

Over the decades I think Oakmont's membership has come to view their course as perhaps one of the hardest in the world to score well on on a daily basis and for that they've become extremely proud. In my opinion, Oakmont is never even over the top---it's just one brutal but fair test. The greens and their extreme speed on a daily basis, is completly unique to any course anywhere. I have to think members 3 or even 4 putt some of those greens every day but they've actually become proud of that fact a long time ago.

The specifics of the strategies of Oakmont are also pretty unique for a course of its age. It's one of the few old courses that's highly penal on the flanks of the holes making through the green strategies fairly center directed.

Oakmont, is sort of one of a kind, architecturally and otherwse, has been for decades, and should take its rightful place in the top ten because of that, in my opinion.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2004, 10:33:57 PM »
Oakmont defies logic. Pure and simple. That's what makes it damning and extraordinary.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2004, 07:48:22 PM »
Maybe Ran hit the course on a day when it was being set up for a major tournament.  I played there four times between 1984 and 1995 and never did see really punitive rough.  Once it was raining so the rough was murder but not over 2".

I enjoyed playing there because you were given immediate feedback on the quality of the shot you just played, good or bad!  And the lightning fast greens were as true as any I've ever putted.  Start it on line and it was in from 10'.

I'd love to play there after the tree removal program, it was overplanted and I hear you can now see from the clubhouse porch out to the 15th green.  Nice.

Paul Richards

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2004, 08:21:41 PM »
Oakmont blew me away!!!!

:) :) ;)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back