News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Todd_Joseph

Re: Golf Digest's Mistake in Ohio
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2003, 06:57:52 AM »
Noonan,

Sorry for the confusion,  I think the changes to the greens occurred at least 5-7 years ago.   The three unchanged greens are 9, 12, and 17.  

Todd

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

les_claytor

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2003, 10:08:27 AM »
Being a buckeye I must chime in on this one.  Fowler's Mill seems a little out of place to me ranked over some of the many very good country clubs omitted.  It is a very nice course, and fun to play, but not over some other courses in NE Ohio such as Shaker Hts. C.C., etc.

There are a lot of very good golden age courses in Ohio on well suited sites.  I love to go home and play golf.

When you get down to a top 25 in a state, who knows what factors take precedent.  

jg7236

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2003, 01:20:00 PM »
Tom,

You are exactly right, you read my mind, I was thinking of the Columbus Brookside, not the Canton Brookside, thanks for the clarification.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2003, 05:21:02 PM »
Jackie Childs:

Your point is well taken. Not long ago someone here questioned Brad Klein for exercising some editorial disgretion at GolfWeek. I don't know what Brad did or didn't do, but the example of Brookside in Ohio does point to the need for someone to oversee state rankings. Anyone familiar with golf in Ohio would have quickly seen this error.
Tim Weiman

Matt_Ward

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2003, 07:48:04 AM »
Tom MacWood:

Your analysis of Double Eagle is spot on with my visit there. I don't doubt the course is immaculate regarding turf conditions but the overall flow and style of the course is nothing more than good -- I personally believe anyone using the word "great" is really pushing the envelope. Is Double Eagle a top 100 course? In my book it would be fighting hard to grab a spot but is no sure thing.

Todd Joseph / Noonan:

Thanks for the report on Indian Springs. I played the course roughly about 10 years ago and I really liked the layout and greens. If someone can definitely confirm the changes that were made I would be appreciative. By the way -- what were the reasons for the changes? I hope it wasn't to "speed up play" when the real intent was to alter the qualities originally imbued by the architect.

Indian Springs was at the time I played it a very good layout and one of the best public courses I had played in Ohio up to that time. I had planned on returning to play when I visit the immediate Columbus area this summer but given the lack of diligence in keeping the course "up to snuff" I have to wonder if my time will be well spent there. I'd be curious from those who've played it more times than I have whether a return visit is merited. Thanks!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back